PDA

View Full Version : When I met Peter Green

Jimi75
June 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Hey,

Just found some minutes to type in a few words on Peter Green the great British guitar player who cofounded Fleetwood Mac. I must have been around 21-22 when I was told that I should take care of Mr Green and his brother in law as both were to come to Germany to attend a Fender showcase. I was pretty nervous, because I knew that Peter Green was said to be one of the greatest white blues guitarist of all time - everybody loved him, from B.B. to Albert King, from Clapton to Gary Moore - but this guy had also his issues, so I didn't know what I had to expect. Peter was a very quite guy, but once you gave him the right bait, he started talking about "back in the days" which was of course wonderful. He told me about how he gave that Les Paul to Gary Moore and that this guitar had its own soul. His brother in law was an adequate rhythm guitarist who kind of took care of Peter.

To make a long story short, we played about 6-7 sessions, all blues based. Peter played guitar and harmonica and only then I understood what it was what people said about Peter. This guy had so much blues and the lines he played were so authentic and melodic. No matter which amp we gave him to play through, he had his own sound going own. The audiences were stunned.

The most funny experience with Peter:
Peter asked me to get him a coffe.
So I went to the VIP lounge and get a black coffe and a coke for me.
Put the beverages in front of us on a table that was equipped with milk and sugar and so on.
As coke and coffe look the same, Peter put milk in my coke.
I was too young and to shy to say something, so he picked up the cup and took a sip.
Guess what he said.....
"You Germans really know how to make a good coffe - although this one is pretty cold!"

Best moment:
Playing Albatross together with Peter in front of about 600 people.

So far from my side and keep in mind, checking some of Peter's stuff is always well. His phrasing remains untouchable and unique.

Jimi

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you a lot for sharing this Jimi. I'm a great Peter Green fan. The coke and milk thing was amazing :D maybe he still prepares that at home? I'd have LMAO right away if I was there :D

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Peter Green was amazing back in those days. There are a lot of people still that idolize him and his sound.

Brian Krashpad
June 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Great story!

Sehr gut mein Herr!

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Why did you wait so long to tell such a funny & tender story?

Do you have any more that you're holding back on us?

Jimi75
June 21st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Why did you wait so long to tell such a funny & tender story?

Do you have any more that you're holding back on us?

Mhhh.....yes I have some more sure.....but that one "coke & millk" experience really was the icing on the cake.

Well, but maybe I should tell you next time when Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience lived next to my hotel room and.......

tot_Ou_tard
June 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM
Mhhh.....yes I have some more sure.....but that one "coke & millk" experience really was the icing on the cake.

Well, but maybe I should tell you next time when Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience lived next to my hotel room and.......
Go on, I'm all ears.....

Robert
June 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM
That is so awesome! Really interesting to hear! Tell us more!

I am also hoping you'll tell us more stories from what it was like working at Fender.

Jimi75
June 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM
That is so awesome! Really interesting to hear! Tell us more!

I am also hoping you'll tell us more stories from what it was like working at Fender.

This I can answer soon!
It was very professional, kind-hearted and full of passion and love for the instrument. We had a showroom to die for, with 200 of the best guitars and amps. Everyday we had guests, famous musicians, actors and whatever plus contact to all European dealers. Fender has a very strict quality check, so I had to go once per month to the Netherlands where the central warhouse for Guitars and amps was located and made spot tests. Further more due to the fact that we were a team of about 18 people, everyone was involved in the evaluation of products and incentives. I still have a very very close contact to my former colleagues or shall I better say friends.

To be honest, I bet that everybody in here would give his right arm to work for this Company - Fender opens many doors. Best experience in my life. Hey, I was taking care of artists, hung around with guys like Richie Sambora, Iron Maiden, Greg Koch etc. - come on what's wrong about that? Furthermore we invented sales plans with the dealers, calculated, negotiated, flew to the tradefairs worldwide and were guests at each and every concert. Of course you keep those moments in mind, when you hand a little model of a VW Buck personally to Jeff Beck, 'cause you know this guy likes cars. But you also have let downs, critical and difficult situations for e.g. implementing the brand in new markets and build up new distribution nets in Europe.

Hell, you may ask why I quit, he?
Here's why:
If you have the chance to eat your favourite sweets everyday, you loose the feeling for what they taste like. Being on the road more than 2 weeks per month is not that good when you are a young father. Furthemore my dad had a deadly disease and I wanted to spend more time with him before he passed so young. I came home and I was sick of music, couldn't touch the guitar and didn't want to read catalogues or magazines, I had too much of everything, Fenders here and there, Gibsobs here and there....

My boss said that the door is always open for me, I could straight away start working for them again, but I love being who I am musically right now so much, that it would be a big sacrifice for me to go back. Like I said, I have to thank Fender for so many things in my life and so you never know what the future will bring. But be sure that if one day I should return, then I will support the fretters with free stuff for lotteries and so on!

By the way, I recently (in January) had an offer from Line6 to work for them. They wanted to meet me a second time in L.A., but I denied. I really couldn't adopt their philosophy.

I am happy being a regular music fan and musician - this is so much better, at least for me!

aeolian
June 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Great story of Peter Green and your affiliation with Fender. Now where is my copy of "Then Play On?"

Robert
June 21st, 2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jimi, that is really interesting to read your thoughts and experiences. I think all us fretters will appreciate this a lot.

sunvalleylaw
June 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you, Jimi, for sharing your stories. Sehr interessant!