PDA

View Full Version : Harmolodic Tuning

R_of_G
June 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I listen to a lot of Ornette Coleman, and am a big fan of his "harmolodic" approach to improvisation [basically that harmony, melody and rhythm play equal parts in driving the music, none at the expense of others]. According to James "Blood" Ulmer, one of the splendid guitarists to play with Ornette, one of the ways he achieved "harmolody" was to view the guitar as having only one string, and treating the six as six parts of one string. he achieved this in part by tuning all 6 strings to the same note. i have been playing in "harmolodic d" and let me tell you something, it opens up a whole new world of improv possibility, and the tone is out of this world. try it.:cool:

ShortBuSX
June 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Sounds like how Richie Havens plays.

R_of_G
June 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Sounds like how Richie Havens plays.

indeed it is a tuning haven used i think. i know he used open tunings, though i don't know enough about him to know if he tuned all strings the same, though you may already know that he does so i will defer to you.

i do know havens played acoustic [though again, don't know if he played exclusively acoustic]. I do know that when i use this tuning with my electric it creates a LOT of harmonic overtones, and when you add the reverb, wowee!

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Yow, that's way beyond me now, but I'm glad that you're going for it.

R_of_G
June 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Yow, that's way beyond me now, but I'm glad that you're going for it.

don't doubt yourself. you'd be surprised how easy it is to play in this tuning. it may help to break you out of any habits you fall into in your regular tuning. try it!

ShortBuSX
June 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
indeed it is a tuning haven used i think. i know he used open tunings, though i don't know enough about him to know if he tuned all strings the same, though you may already know that he does so i will defer to you.

i do know havens played acoustic [though again, don't know if he played exclusively acoustic]. I do know that when i use this tuning with my electric it creates a LOT of harmonic overtones, and when you add the reverb, wowee!

Okay, now this makes sense to me...no RH did open tunings...this is the first Iv e ever heard of anybody tuning all the strings to D:eek:

Makes sense, but Id be interested in the tension it puts on the guitar as well as string choices...Im interested.

R_of_G
June 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Okay, now this makes sense to me...no RH did open tunings...this is the first Iv e ever heard of anybody tuning all the strings to D:eek:

Makes sense, but Id be interested in the tension it puts on the guitar as well as string choices...Im interested.

no undue tension as everything not usually tuned to d is tuned down to get there. strings are ribbon-wound and start at .12 for the high e [which in this case is now highest d]:cool:

ShortBuSX
June 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
no undue tension as everything not usually tuned to d is tuned down to get there. strings are ribbon-wound and start at .12 for the high e [which in this case is now highest d]:cool:

But what about the A, G, & B...are you tuning those down too or up to D?
Im trying to figure out how this isnt adding even more tension?

R_of_G
June 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
But what about the A, G, & B...are you tuning those down too or up to D?
Im trying to figure out how this isnt adding even more tension?

down