PDA

View Full Version : Metal fan is considered sick because of his musical taste.

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM
(badly translated from portuguese by me):

In Sweden a heavy Metal fan was considered unable to work like an average person because of his musical taste. Roger Tullgren, 42, will receive a monthly assistance in money from the government and will work under special conditions.

After losing many jobs for having his life dominated by Metal, Tullgren was submitted to a battery of psychological exams. After the analisys he was considered a sick and disabled person by the swedish government.

So the service in charge of taking care of the unnemployed people of the country decided to pay him a salary and found him a comprehensive employer: Tullgren just got a job as a dish washer in a restaurant, where he will have the permission to dress the way he wants, listen to loud music and leave earlier for those concerts he can't miss.

A Black Sabbath fan, Roger says that, to follow the Metal, he already lost or quit many jobs last year. Only in 2006, he attended to almost 300 shows of the style, many of them during work time. "Some people say I should grow up and learn to enjoy other music styles, but I can't. Heavy Metal is my life style", he concludes.

http://igpop.ig.com.br/principal/2007/06/19/metaleiro_e_considerado_incapaz_por_causa_de_gosto _musical_832572.html

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Aye Caramba why didn't I think of that! :)

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I think I'm moving to Sweden!

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I think I'm moving to Sweden!

I think we can get Super Swede in on our diagnosis so we can live with him...

abraxas
June 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Just goes to show 2 things, IMHO:

1) Swedish society is tolerant to the degree of actually being silly... sincere congratulations from me, I really wish my own country was that tolerant to people's individuality. :(

2) The "psychology of the Junkie" is something not necessarily related to drugs. You can become a junkie on anything. In my (and I suspect, most of us here) case, it is guitars in general (with women coming a close second in my case :o )

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
SSwede would you adopt me?

or maybe who knows.. Robert's family there have an empty guest room?

Robert
June 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
From what I have read on Swedish newspapers, this guy has been examined by psychologists and been found to have a form of mental health problem. In Sweden, people with mental health problems get support from the Government and the goal is rehabilitate a person in order for them to have chance of functioning in society. The fact that this story and this guy's problem has to do with metal music makes it more interesting to people, it would seem.

Oh, and he apparently has major hearing problems! ;) Just like me! :DR

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Robert, you just explained everything :D

I still wanna go to Sweden!

WackyT
June 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I think they should've gotten him a job as a roadie.

Brian Krashpad
June 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
If I recall correctly, in Holland the government actually supports starving musicians with stipends.

Between that and legalized, uhh, things that aren't legal in the US, it's a wonder I still live in the US.

:D

PS-- not promoting illegal drug use, in fact I haven't done anything like that in over 20 years

SuperSwede
June 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, he had some kind of mental problem. And those people are given some kind of funding due to the fact that they are unable to work, or have a difficult time finding a suitable job. But you are all welcome, the garage is pretty ok in the summer time, and I have a spare closet for harsh winters. Monthly rent is one (1) Gibson or Fender guitar.