PDA

View Full Version : My Friends band

pie_man_25
June 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Okay, since you guys have been awesome at helping me with my problems before,I completely trust you with this one:

Basically, My friends think I suck at bass because I don't pound root notes all the time and instead try to make a good bassline, so they kicked me from a band, and replaced me with some skater dick who sucks at bass and does axeactly what they want him to do. At first I was kinda pissed, and instead of being jealous, I decided to be happy for them. But now I realise:

1) the music SUCKS, it sounds like they're a bunch of housewives getting beatenby their husbands.
2) they hate that their bassist doesn't have any bass gear, so they have to borrow amps and basses all the time, and you can't hear him anyways, and are still dumb enough not to know I've got raodworthy gear and skills.
3) Looking at # 1 and 2, I realise I'm, not so jealous.

so the issue is: Should I keep being nice, or should I be honest and say that, they're that crappy girly-music that I've abandoned for the 70's and I really don't like their music.

M29
June 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
"he who takes the path less travelled, doesn't worry about traffic jams":R

M29

Spudman
June 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Be nice and keep moving.

It doesn't really matter in the big picture of things what you think of that band. Just be nice and appreciate the guys for who they are and focus on your own gig. It's your scene that you want to improve. Find some cool guys to play with that you fit with. Let the others do their own thing, but be open to working with anyone that you can get along with and will let you be yourself.

It's OK to do gigs with one band one week and the next week do a gig with another band. Just focus on your own playing and don't slam anyone, because maybe somewhere down the road they might be able to use your talents, and that could open other doors for you as well.

marnold
June 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
People sometimes have rather "interesting" ideas of what bass player should be. I know--I used to be one. Many guitarists view bass players with contempt; they're the ones who never got good enough to play lead. Whatever. At any rate, don't lose sleep over it. After all, how much longer would you have been able to stand being in that band? You're young, so there will be plenty of bands.

And listen to Spud too. Burning bridges is a bad idea.

pie_man_25
June 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
/\ You bring up a good point, all of you, even M29, who just copied my sig, but still a good point. I can trust you guys with everything, you're so awesome that way!

M29
June 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Great info here pie_man_25. Yes do not burn bridges, you just never know...

I look back and I am glad I did what I did and that was to move on to different bands. If you are serious about this stuff or any other stuff in your life you need to move on and don't get stagnant. Keep everything fresh and clean. If you are friends with everyone you will always come out ahead but just keep your eye on your (goal) you do have one right? and keep on keepin on. Look back and learn but keep your eyes looking ahead.

Oh yeah like they say Travel light, hit quick and look out for number one! No No No just kidding:D

M29

Jimi75
June 25th, 2007, 02:47 AM
If you know what you want it's good - if you play the bass a different kind of way and it doesn't fit in the band's context than it is just fair that those guys tell you that they want someone else. See, in the end both parties have to be happy. You should not take it personal that they "kicked" you. Iam sure they are aware of your abilities and you never know if your ways will cross again.

Keep cool and try to make a clear but fair stand when joining a band the next time. So nobody wil be surprised - but you also have to make compromises.

I would be friendly with the old band colleagues.