PDA

View Full Version : wheels, rides, etc.....

warren0728
January 29th, 2006, 10:59 AM
hey fretters,

since this is obviously a creative community (many of us are in creative fields in addition to be musicians?) i was wondering if anyone else here have unique cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.

I love classic cars and trucks and have a 1954 ford f-100 truck. I bought it when i was 14 years old (i'm 43 now) and by the time my dad and i had restored it i was old enough to drive it! I gave it to my dad when i went to college and got it back quite a few years ago.

I am going to start restoring it again soon......it runs great and is a lot of fun to drive.

Anyone else have a unique ride....show us what you got!

http://warrenworld.com/54/54-1.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/54/54-2.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/54/54-3.jpg

ww

SuperSwede
January 29th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Wow nice ride Warren! :)

That thing must consume a lot of gas!

warren0728
January 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
thanks....yes it does (about 8-10 mpg). Thats why i have an old honda civic that is my daily driver (i bartered it for a logo design). I only drive the truck for fun!

you can read a little more about my truck here...

http://www.warrenworld.com/html/f-100.html

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 29th, 2006, 12:14 PM

79Nice, Warren those 54 f100's are classic , beautiful job , i've been a gear head since before i could drive , and i now make my living in the automotive industry.., heres a few pics of a 40 fargo that my brother and i restored and modded in 2003 , he still has it .. and like you restored yours with your dad , working with my older brother on this project brought us closer together and was great fun ... heres a couple of pics..over the years i've had chevelle ss's camaro ss's and z's and a handful of mopars.. great fun and another hobby which always brings me into contact with interesting people ...what running gear do you have in your 54? 6S9L

SuperSwede
January 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Nice website Warren.. I love to cook too, so I am looking forward to steal some of your recipes. So please update that page ;)

warren0728
January 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM
6S9L: Very nice truck...i like the color. What motor, etc. are you running. Is the frame stock?

Mine has always been red (it's original color was green...i have some original picks around somewhere) but this time around i think i am going to paint it orange with ghost flames on the front. I want the flames to be VERY subtle...you will have to look twice to make sure they are there!

When we put the 302 in it we wanted to add power steering and brakes....but wanted to keep it stock appearing (original steering column, steering wheel, etc.) and to make it all work we used a chevy capris classic clip in the front.

I am running a Ford C-4 automatic transmission (using the original 3 on the tree shifter) and a Chevy 301 Posi-Trac rear end.

This restoration go round i will be doing a cab off and replacing all brake lines, fuel lines and such...but won't be changing the frame. At some point i would like to replace the chevy front clip and rear end with ford mustang parts to make it all ford again.

ww

warren0728
January 29th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Nice website Warren.. I love to cook too, so I am looking forward to steal some of your recipes. So please update that page ;)

thanks....I haven't updated that site in awhile (except to change the ages of my kids and change the guitar equipment list). My commercial site needs updating too....but i am so busy doing client work that i haven't gotten around to my stuff!

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks Warren , the Fargo is running a 70 440 with a 727tf auto, the 440 is cammed and runs a steel crank and rods, mostly a mild big block .. the chasis has been massaged but is original , front clip and rear suspension is from a mid 80's diplomat police persuit , the color is a stock mopar color 1970 sublime..it was a fun project, check out the tail lights , they are 59 caddy which we fenched in ..we basically had to build the pan and had to fab up the tail gate ..everything else is original , the interior sports the original steering wheel and a lokar shifter .. 6S9L

warren0728
January 30th, 2006, 01:33 PM
very nice....i am probably going to put a new motor in mine...or just work on the one that's in it. My dad built the motor that is in it now....and it is in really good shape...looking into boring out and camming it....or maybe powerstroking it. The nice thing about the small block 302 is there are lots of options. I would like to stay with a small block but maybe i'll breakdown and order a big block crate motor!

I'd also like to find a nice overdrive tranny (and different rear end) so i can get more low end torque but still be able to cruise at 70 - 80 mph with no problem

ww

Josh
January 31st, 2006, 02:13 AM
http://myspace-204.vo.llnwd.net/00453/40/22/453462204_l.jpghttp://universalairacademy.com/images/79201rampa.gif

Spudman
February 1st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Josh.
How many miles per gallon does the white one get?

r_a_smith3530
February 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Wow, I didn't know I was getting involved in a music forum with a bunch of fellow gearheads! I guess that I'll pony up. Here's a shot of my '68 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, nicknamed "Bertha Butt" from the old song Troglodyte.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/sportyrb/bertha_butt.jpg

I haven't gotten a chance to do a whole lot to her yet. She's currently running a later model 305 with headers, an Edelbrock Performer intake, and a 600cfm Holley.

Prior to Bertha, I owned #281 of 500 1986 Shelby GLHS's. Mine had an oversized turbo, larger injectors, and a computer reprogrammed for 16 pounds of boost. She was dynoed at 230 horse and weighed just a tad over 2000lbs.

Over the years I've had a number of interesting cars, ranging from my first (a 1965 Corvair Corsa 140hp) to the present. I've owned 5 Mustangs (four of them considered extremely collectible today), 2 '57 Chevys, a '69 Z/28, two Jeep CJ's, a '72 Gran Torino Sport Coupe, a couple of MGB's, and five Volkswagon's (including a Meyers Manx and a Baja Bug).

My love affair with cars began long before my love affair with guitars, as I was born into a family that rallied and raced. My first recollection of a family car was actually two, my dad's '54 MG-TF and my mom's '53 Alfa Romeo Spyder. In 1958, both of those were traded in for a pair of Austin Healey 100-6's.

warren0728
February 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
cool ra.....i have an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake on my trucks small block 302.

i love stangs too. My dad has a 68 fastback and he used to have a 25th anniversary model (red and silver).

I have always loved anything with wheels on it! One of my favorite cars i have owned in the past was a '71 datsun 240z....man that was one quick car and lots of fun to drive!

One of my favorite cars i would like to restore would be a '41 willys coupe....someday

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Warren, my 5 Mustangs were as follows...

1966 GT Convertible with 289 "K" motor and 4spd. I did the Shelby suspension mods to it (relocated control arms, upside-down mounted Traction Master's, etc), installed a Melling comp cam, and a Shelby aluminum intake with a Holley, plus a set of headers.

1967 Shelby GT350. I paid $650 for this car after the owner lost his license and his wife threatened divorce. It needed a complete strip and refinish of the paint, and a total cleanup of the interior, but only had about an hour on the engine after a rebuild. It had the optional, dealer-installed Shelby dual quad intake and headers.

1969 Boss 302. This car came in as a trade-in at the dealership a friend of mine worked at. It had the Drag Pack with things like an oil cooler and 3.91 Detroit Locker in the rear. I consider it one of the most visceral cars that I have ever driven, with its manual steering and radio block-off plate.

1971 Boss 351. This one came in on trade at a dealership where I was twisting wrenches. The guy traded it on a Hurst Olds. He'd bought it while stationed in Germany to cruise the Autobahn with! Although it was quick, it was half the car that the Boss 302 was, and I soon regretted selling the '69 to buy the '71.

There was a bit of time between Mustangs number four and five. Around 1985 I bought a '72 Gran Torino Sport Coupe with a 351 Cleveland Cobra-Jet. During that summer, a friend of mine and I attended the Performance Ford Club of America's Nationals in Ohio. I wandered around the swap, figuring that I would pick up a couple of items. When all was said and done, I'd walked away with what amounted to a second motor, in bits, for a song. As I gathered the miscelaneous bits to complete the build of this super motor, I discovered that my Torino was developing cancer in some strategic places, and that replacement parts weren't available. Another car would have to be found. I liked the look of the Fox-bodied Mustangs, and asked my used car people to keep an eye open for me. Two weeks later, I got a call that somebody had traded in a clean little '80 Mustang coupe with a four cylinder and a lot of highway miles, and that I could have it for $500.00.

I bought it, drove it for a month, and then went to work. A set of 5.0 liter engine mounts and fabricated 1/2 inch spacers later, and the built 351 Cleveland was in. It was mated to a T5 and a Strange equipped 9 incher. It was a manual steering car, which was fine with me. I used custom springs for a slalom Mustang GT and a pair of Addco sway bars. BF Goodrich T/A's were mounted on American 200S wheels after the brakes were upgraded and set up for five lug wheels.

It was a fun little car!

Oh, the Gran Torino? Well, I sold the front end to a guy for $300.00. He wanted it for his kid's Ranchero. The trans brought another $300.00 and the engine eventually found its way into an '80 Jeep CJ-7 that I bought, bolted to an SM465 4 speed and a 205 transfer case. With a lift, 35's, custom-built 9 inchers at both ends, and a 4WD Parts fiberglass body, this thing could climb trees! My wife hated it though, so it wasn't a member of the family for long unfortunately.

BTW, Warren, my favorite Edelbrock manifold of all time was the Smokey Ram. It was a dual quad, cross ram manifold, designed by Smokey Yunick for Trans Am racing, and used to great success on the Penske/Sunoco Chevrolet Camaro driven by Mark Donahue.

Although the Performer is cool, I liked the old Torker better, but then who knows, it is on a 305! Maybe it will work a whole lot better on a 350.

r_a_smith3530
February 5th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Oh, I fogot to mention, the Caravan shown in the picture (in the driveway) has a 3.0 liter V-6 with a 58mm throttle body off a Jeep Cherokee, a phenolic plenum spacer, larger injectors, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Like I said, I like to tinker!

It is the only known '94 Caravan R/T in existence! :D