PDA

View Full Version : How do you change tubes on a Crate V8 Palomino

Duff
June 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Yes. Any info on how to change to tubes on the Crate V8 Palomino will be greatly appreciated. The little manual gives no instructions.

Any practical suggestions, diagrams, references to sources of info, etc., will be appreciated.

I heard that it is hard to do on the Crates. Something about the tubes or something being hard to get to.

So, I'll appreciate any suggestions. Any recommendations for tubes would be great too, even though I really like the stock sound of the one I got.

Thanks,

Duff

Big K
June 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
contact Eurotubes: they are a wealth of info on tube recommendations depending on the amount of distortion and headroom you are looking for....they can help you with direction on change-out also...

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
contact Eurotubes: they are a wealth of info on tube recommendations depending on the amount of distortion and headroom you are looking for....they can help you with direction on change-out also...
+1!! Bob Pletka and his crew at Eurotubes (www.eurotubes.com) are the best!! http://www.thefret.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Duff
June 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have any actual experience doing the retubing on a Crate Palomino V8?

I'm interested in info on how to go about doing it and maybe schematics and pictures. Even a picture of how the tubes are set up would be great. You can't see the tubes from the back of the amp. They must be enclosed in the case somehow. I'm not even sure how you would access them.

Any info on the specifics of this is appreciated.

Duff

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have any actual experience doing the retubing on a Crate Palomino V8?
Nope, but I came across THIS THREAD (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=122377), which talks about putting a new set of JJ's in them (and other Crate V-Series amps) with good results.

As far as getting to the tubes, I suspect that the amp may be built like my Vox AD30VT, where you have to unfasten a bunch of screws,take off the back panel, and then slide the chassis out of the cabinet to work in it....

Spudman
June 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Ya to what Voodoo says.

My Crate Vintage Club requires that you remove the panel that the electronics mount to. You have to then flip the amph chassis to get to the tubes. Simple just time consuming.

Your amph might be the same.