PDA

View Full Version : Got My $30 Fullerton Dreadnought

WackyT
June 24th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Got my $30 Fullerton Dreadnought acoustic from Music123, and I am more than happy with it.:D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1252/613619916_5e475c6012_o.jpg

The only problem with her is that I had to raise the saddle so much to get the string height correct, that the saddle's leaning a bit in the slot. I ordered a Tusq saddle from an eBay seller hoping it's tall enough to sit fully in the slot. The nuts plastic, but I can't seem to find a suitable Tusq match for it, and it seems to be doing it's job OK for now. I need to go get some good strings for her also. There was a tag on the headstock saying they're Aria strings, but they are definitely cheap.

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Got my $30 Fullerton Dreadnought acoustic from Music123, and I am more than happy with it.:D

The only problem with her is that I had to raise the saddle so much to get the string height correct, that the saddle's leaning a bit in the slot. I ordered a Tusq saddle from an eBay seller hoping it's tall enough to sit fully in the slot. The nuts plastic, but I can't seem to find a suitable Tusq match for it, and it seems to be doing it's job OK for now. I need to go get some good strings for her also. There was a tag on the headstock saying they're Aria strings, but they are definitely cheap.
Wow, looks pretty good. Yeah, change those awful Aria strings, for sure. That was one of the first things I did with both my Fat Fully and the Aria Strat I bought for my son. Not sure if those are just bad strings from the get-go, or if they get that way from months & months of warehousing.....

WackyT
June 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for what strings to get for her for a beginner? I've been thinking of getting some D'Addario 80/20 Bronze Mediums (.013-.056).

Big K
June 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I like the sound of the Martin SP MSP3100 Light (12-54) 80/20 Bronze on my acoustic....

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM
13's are a bit heavy, especially if you're used to an electric. I'd recommend 12's to start with. I've always liked THESE (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EJ16-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=100182).

WackyT
June 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. .012's it is then.

ted s
June 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Nice mowchine there WackyT, except the pick guard's on the
wrong side..... :DR ;)

WackyT
June 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Nice mowchine there WackyT, except the pick guard's on the
wrong side..... :DR ;)

Thanks Ted. Pickguard works fine for me.
http://www.dma.org/~backstro/acoustic-guitar-smile-lefty.gif

WackyT
June 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Got the Tusq saddle, PQ-9100-00, and it fits great! String height is right on without shaving any height off.

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
What a beauty! I wish I hadn't missed that one! Nice score!

WackyT
July 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks Tremeloman. She does play nice now that she's set up properly.

pes_laul
July 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for what strings to get for her for a beginner? I've been thinking of getting some D'Addario 80/20 Bronze Mediums (.013-.056).
ghs boomers you can buy them like anywhere ive even seen a pair at pamida once their not too expensive

Tim
July 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Nice acoustic there WT. Sounds like you scored OK with the guitar. I find playing the acoustic after being on the electric a little hard to get use to. I get a lot of string buzz when I play. I guess my fingers get too lazy for them acoustic strings.

WackyT
July 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the recommend, pes. I currently have D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (.012-.053) strings on her now. I'll keep GHS on my recommend list.

Tim, gotta agree. My electric is definitely easier to play than the acoustic. That's why I'm concentrating my practice on the acoustic. It's definitely strengthening my fretting fingers. When I play my electric after playing my acoustic for a while, fretting is so easy on it.

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Tim, gotta agree. My electric is definitely easier to play than the acoustic. That's why I'm concentrating my practice on the acoustic. It's definitely strengthening my fretting fingers. When I play my electric after playing my acoustic for a while, fretting is so easy on it.

Wacky (Mr. T, may I call you Wacky? :) ), I did that for the first several months I was playing and it helped build up my strength since I was a newbie. I still like to practice on my acoustic, but now I don't find it necessary to do as a specific exercise but go back and forth depending on what I am playing and where I want to play. It is no longer so hard to go back and forth, as long as I keep doing it! :D

WackyT
July 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Steve, you and the rest of the gang can call me whatever you want, or Tim, my given name, but that might get confusing. ;) I also love the sound of the acoustic for general practice.