PDA

View Full Version : Best thing I did for clean headroom on a VJ

LagrangeCalvert
June 25th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I put a NOS (these are my secret weapon tubes) AC Delco....yes the car parts maker.... 12AT7 in the preamp spot, and a Reissue Tung sol in the pwr section....even with my blues breaker strat(I finally named her Izabella:DR ) which has some pretty hot pups, it only has a tiny fraction of breakup with this little amp turned all the way up...and your pick attack has to be in the SRV style of trying to rip the guitar off the straps. This makes it the perfect amp to record with and the most pedal friendly VJ I own...I now have 6 of them:confused: somehow Ive grown addicted to them.

Anyways I just thought I would give the rest of the fretters the tools to get a completely clean VJ.......

Josh.

tot_Ou_tard
June 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I put a NOS (these are my secret weapon tubes) AC Delco....yes the car parts maker.... 12AT7 in the preamp spot, and a Reissue Tung sol in the pwr section....even with my blues breaker strat(I finally named her Izabella:DR ) which has some pretty hot pups, it only has a tiny fraction of breakup with this little amp turned all the way up...and your pick attack has to be in the SRV style of trying to rip the guitar off the straps. This makes it the perfect amp to record with and the most pedal friendly VJ I own...I now have 6 of them:confused: somehow Ive grown addicted to them.

Anyways I just thought I would give the rest of the fretters the tools to get a completely clean VJ.......

Josh.
Cars had tubes?!? :D

Thanks, I have a Fender Champion 600 coming & might have use for that info.

Leonidas
June 25th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I might try somthing like this in the future...

duhvoodooman
June 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me, the VJr is all about getting dirty! Love that saturated Class A tone. If I want clean, I find that my Delta Blues or one of the clean models on the AD30VT (the Boutique Clean, in particular) give me more of what I'm after. It's all personal preference....

LagrangeCalvert
June 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me, the VJr is all about getting dirty! Love that saturated Class A tone. If I want clean, I find that my Delta Blues or one of the clean models on the AD30VT (the Boutique Clean, in particular) give me more of what I'm after. It's all personal preference....

Its not that the VJ produces a better clean....I also have a DB 1x15 and the cleans are awesome on that.....its so you can get a really good clean at a level that you don't have to turn the preamp on the board up you can get a really solid level in for recording....it also makes it the end all be all for pedals, considering it doesn't get dirty(not even really dirty) till pick attack is A-bomb strength and the Vol. is all the way up.

Justaguyin_nc
June 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
it also makes it the end all be all for pedals, considering it doesn't get dirty(not even really dirty) till pick attack is A-bomb strength and the Vol. is all the way up.

I'll try it... was leaning to this anyways.. I put an old Harmony tube in mine to make it cleaner.. but still not all the way...

just want tube "clean".. will let the pedals make the noise... umm thats why I bought them..:)

So, whats the best one and place to buy... link?

and thanks!

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
I hate this. You guys have got me wanting a VJ so bad. Must resist. Plastic card is a bad thing.
Dave

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
I hate this. You guys have got me wanting a VJ so bad. Must resist. Plastic card is a bad thing.
Dave

Remember.. most online vendors now take paypal too.. just helping you out!!

Actually, I got a darn one-eye cat that knocked my VJ head over.. put the smallest cut right in the middle front in the black... pushing it together you can't even tell.. but I can... I was gonna hit him in the eye.. but he already missing one..sigh.. (umm not my fault)

think I am going to get another to replace/add to it... man these little amps are just great!!!! heck with Solid State - Digital whatchamacallits... Never again.... tube from here on out for me... nite and day!! pedals for different flavors.. tubes for blending the flavors!

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for helping Justa. Sigh.
Dave

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well let me tell you. I looked online at MF for the Valve Jr. and the price is $129.
I looked in my latest catalog from MF and the price is $99. Called them up and got the $99 price with free shipping. :D :D
Only in America.
Dave

jasongins
July 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
I cashed in a MF gift certificate and got VJ head as well as the matching cabinet. I love the way it sounds, but it really is loud!

WackyT
July 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Good deal, Dave!

Planning on get a VJ head and cabinet for my Xmas present to myself this year.

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Well let me tell you. I looked online at MF for the Valve Jr. and the price is $129.
I looked in my latest catalog from MF and the price is $99. Called them up and got the $99 price with free shipping. :D :D
Only in America.
Dave

Thankfully... This just saved me $30.00 on my purchase...thanks DAVE!! I just called and did the same thing... had to give him my source code on the back of the magazine and then the price from $129.99 dropped to the $99.99... sweeeeeeeeet!!!

Hmmmm now I can do some mods on one...:)

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Glad I could help. Now the cabinet hunt is on.
Dave

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Only in America.
Dave

Have you heard about the other cool amph that you need to have along with the super duper stomp box that makes your guitar sound like angels singing? You'll have to have one of each...providing you still have room on your card?;)

We all succumb sooner or later. I just have to give you a hard time. :D

You are really going to like the little nipper. That is one Benjamin that was well spent.

DaveO
July 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Spud, I hope I'm set for at least 5 or 10 minutes. After I get my cabinet. That chorus pedal. If forgot about a reverb unit. That old guitar strap is about worn out. CRAP! :rolleyes:
Dave

LagrangeCalvert
July 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Spud, I hope I'm set for at least 5 or 10 minutes. After I get my cabinet. That chorus pedal. If forgot about a reverb unit. That old guitar strap is about worn out. CRAP! :rolleyes:
Dave

Electro Harmonix Holy Grail 'Verb FTW!......try one and you will be hooked.

333maxwell
July 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Cars had tubes?!? :D

Thanks, I have a Fender Champion 600 coming & might have use for that info.

Until the late 50's, every car radio was 'tube'..

Look inside an old B52m there are so many tubes behind the consoles it is not even funny.

They STILL sell, and there is a fairly decent resurgant market for 'audiophile' tube systems for cars to this day.

I had an old Willys Jeep, the things radio never worked.. actualy I didn't let it'warm up' long enough.. it was tubes, and the 6 volt systems of the day, took a decent amount of time to warm up.

One may laugh, but I have also had, and they were once fairly popular, a 45 rpm record player in one of my autos as well..

yes, records and TUBES in cars..

Believe it or not! *G*

Justaguyin_nc
July 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Only in America.
Dave

Dave I hope you got your head in good condition... sigh

I just recieved mine yesterday, it was in a resealed box with no plastic wrap around amp and... it didn't work!!! sniffle...

to be honest... out of my last 3 orders with MusiciansFriend, 2 have been broken parts needing replacement... it's a nitemare on the phone with these guys sometimes.. like you broke it or something.. this time I got pissed.. told them I was already waiting over a week on a return label for the last order and now this one was an obvious return sent out as new to me...

They finally sent me my UPS labels per email and told me once the items showed IN Transit they would ship the new replacements instead of me waiting the weeks it takes them to check that "I" didn't do the damage.. that did it... Im on to another online Music place for awhile.. or forever.. or might just start buying locally at the bigger bucks with less headaches...

But overall... for $99.00.. hey... somehow this is still a deal.... eventually:)

DaveO
July 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well at least you got yours. I'm still waiting. Wonder if they are going to send me your broken one.:rolleyes:
Dave

Justaguyin_nc
July 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well at least you got yours. I'm still waiting. Wonder if they are going to send me your broken one.:rolleyes:
Dave

They Might!! lol... that's the reason I told them to send me another..didn't want that one back again.... lol... Actually, if it would have worked..I would have been content.. didn't need the new smell.. just the amp which looked "good" to rip apart anyways..:)
The other order was a pedal.. it was not their fault actually.. it looked sealed and all from origin.. battery inserted.. battery got hot as heck.. no sound or light from it.... ohwell..

did look kinda neat having two Epi heads on a epi cab.. for a brief moment..