PDA

View Full Version : Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals?

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I have a One-Spot adapter and I really like it. However, I must say I notice the tone is better when using batteries. It can be a pain to gig with though, if some batteries die halfway through the set:(

If tone is your ultimate quest, try batteries in your pedals if you haven't already!

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Since I always play at home, I keep all my pedals "wall-warted". No need to hassle with batteries.

Robert, I'm curious--in what way(s), specifically, do you find your effects to sound better when run on 9V batteries?

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I find the OD and Distortion pedals sound more smooth with batteries. You get a bit of that sag too with batteries. My Wah sounds better with batteries too, more organic sounding, if that makes sense. With the modulation effects, I notice less differences.

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Guess I'll have to try some of my pedals with batteries, just to see if I can hear a difference....

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
What's it been...like maybe a year or more ago that I got into using pedals at all? Since then I've used adapters for them. Before this I used only batteries in the 2 pedals I did have....the Ross compressor and the MXR Micro Amp. I haven't noticed a difference between batteries and adapters Rob but maybe you do because you're using more than one pedal at the same time? I can tell the difference in that respect.

333maxwell
June 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I have a One-Spot adapter and I really like it. However, I must say I notice the tone is better when using batteries. It can be a pain to gig with though, if some batteries die halfway through the set:(

If tone is your ultimate quest, try batteries in your pedals if you haven't already!

I'm with you...

Absolutly there is a difference in tone in many cases with DC vs AC/DC.. not to mention no chance of the AC/DC cords picking up any stray frequency tangents from lights etc.. I have certainly found batteries to be the quietest way to go.

But my main reason is because it is hassle free and I just always make sure to have fresh batteries in before a gig, they last all night and the next night too.

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh, and another thing - DON'T use alkaline batteries! They don't sound good at all! Use the cheap carbon batteries; Eveready are good ones. This makes a big difference for your tone.

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Oh, and another thing - DON'T use alkaline batteries! They don't sound good at all! Use the cheap carbon batteries; Eveready are good ones. This makes a big difference for your tone.

Ok Eric thanks. ;)

Iago
June 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
batteries always, the non alkaline kind.. I have a stock of them! But mainly because I hate cords all around. They've been lasting a lot.. (I dont use pedals too much.. just and OD and phase 90, and a compressor at home only) same batteries since november!

sunvalleylaw
June 26th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I have batteries in my pedals, but they are alkalines, (Costco pack of Duracells) and usually leave them plugged in to the OneSpot. I hate having to unplug everything all the time when my playing time can be so short at times and off and on. I have not noticed a difference much yet. Will have to try it and see. How long are the non-alkalines lasting you that use them?

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Man, call me a skeptic, but I don't know if I'm buying this one quite yet! What is the physical/chemical explanation for this alleged performance difference?? I can understand that a wall wart vs. a battery could possibly make a difference in sound, but one 9V battery (assuming full charge/good quality) vs. another? You're going to have to convince me, Robert! Got any web references to send me to?

SuperSwede
June 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I´m not much of a gambler so I would NEVER gig with batteries
in my stompboxes. Especially not in crucial effects like OD. The OD
gets weaker when the battery gets low on juice. I want my sound to be
consistent and always the same. Hum or not, I want 9 volts of anti-christ/devil-child (AC/DC)

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Another thing about batteries is that they'll start to crap out real fast (modulation pedals like delay, reverb, chorus, flange eat batteries up like candy duh) and if I was gigging now I wouldn't want that to happen. I "gig" in my house and at the neighbor's across the street and I still wouldn't want that to happen. Especially with a multi pedal setup. I'm also not convinced about the difference between alkalines and regular batteries. :confused:

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hey sceptic + see what Analogman says - http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article21.htm (2nd last question)

Here's a "Dying Battery Simulator" article - http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

I am no engineer as you know, and as always, judge for yourself. The differences are subtle, but I think gain and fuzz pedals sound better with a carbon-zinc battery.

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hey sceptic + see what Analogman says - http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article21.htm (2nd last question)

Here's a "Dying Battery Simulator" article - http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

I am no engineer as you know, and as always, judge for yourself. The differences are subtle, but I think gain and fuzz pedals sound better with a carbon-zinc battery.

What subtle differences do your ears hear Robert? Esplan.

Justaguyin_nc
June 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I heard there suppose to be a difference, but I use walwarts..onespot etc.. I just can not see unplugging a dozen pedals every nite to save the batteries..:) thanks for the tip though..will have to see what the difference in interference is with batteries replacing the walwarts.

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM
What subtle differences do your ears hear Robert? Esplan.

Hard to explain in writing what the ears hear... why don't you take your ZYS and try with an Eveready batter and a power adapter and see what you think?

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hard to explain in writing what the ears hear... why don't you take your ZYS and try with an Eveready batter and a power adapter and see what you think?

Will Panasonic carbon zincs work? Which brand would be better? Now I'm totally cornfused. LMAO j/k

I think I will try that experiment out. So I'll need what...an alkaline battery and a carbon zinc right? Or is it a war between just the battery and the adapter? The ideal way to do that would be to have 2 Zonkin's side by side with the different batteries in them if you did alkaline vs. carbon zinc. By the time I go to change the batteries out I've bent over to take it out and blood rushed to my head and my ears pop and get stuffed up...then I change the battery out and by THAT time I've forgotten what the pedal sounded like before I change the battery out and.....

Ok so carbon zinc vs. AC adapter then. I'll see what I can do and I challenge Voodoo, Swede and anyone else to do the same.

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Guess I'll have to check out the battery effect for myself in my OD & fuzz pedals. Still smacks of mumbo-jumbo, but I suppose anything's possible. I just like to understand the scientific reason behind a perceived difference.

Now, the dying battery thing I have no problem believing. The physical effect there is clear--dropping voltage level--and it's easy to understand that that is going to affect a pedal's tonal output.

Between us girls, I have to take much of what "AnalogMan" says with a grain of salt. Without a doubt, he is an extremely knowledgeable, experienced guy, and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about pedals. But keep in mind that the guy, in addition to being a master techie, is also a salesman--he has made big business out of pedal modding. When you read comments like one pedal having more "mojo" than another, or making a TS sound "brown" because he used a couple of old carbon composite resistors instead of newer (and far superior, from the standpoint of consistency and low noise characteristics) metal film resistors--well, that stuff just smacks of snake-oil salesmanship to me!

The only way to know if this stuff really makes a difference is to do "blind" testing. The hearer shouldn't know what he's listening to, because the mind will play tricks on him. You begin to hear what you think you're supposed to hear. This is just the nature of the human mind. Unfortunately, setting up such a blind comparison test is complicated and takes a couple of people to do it, so most of us don't have the luxury of running one of these tests at home....

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I heard Swede brought back a lot of beer from his trip. We could all meet there and do this blind taste test? And we could try the battery thing too. ;)

Robert
June 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Tone, that sounds like a great idea!

DVM, you are right. Take everything with a grain of salt, including me!

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I heard Swede brought back a lot of beer from his trip. We could all meet there and do this blind taste test? And we could try the battery thing too.
Best idea put forth in this thread! And after a few beers, nobody will care about the battery thing anyway.... :D

marnold
June 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I would love to see some true double-blind tests done on things like this, SS vs. tube, various caps in tone pots, heavier vs. lighter strings, etc. Thus far I have seen no one attempt this. It would seem to be an awesome experiment for a guitar magazine to do.

One of my other hobbies as you know is beer brewing. I want to train to be a judge. You learn that everybody tastes things slightly differently. Some can pick up certain off-flavors in very trace amounts. Others can't detect it even if it's about to knock over a mule. You have to train your palate to "look" for certain things. When the judging is going on you know nothing other than the style of beer attempted. This is to eliminate as much prejudice as possible. So not only are you trying to educate yourself, you are also trying to remove any preconceived notions you might have.

While I have not studied the matter, I would have to believe that there are similar differences in people's sense of hearing. My questions on these subjects would be: are there any real, perceptible differences in all of these things? If so, how many favor one over another? Are those favorites in keeping with what is generally accepted to be true (e.g. tube amps sound better)? Are certain differences in tone only perceptible by a certain minority of the population? Can professional musicians tell the difference? (How about record producers/mixers? Hard-core music fans? Causal audience members?)

Until such double-blind tests are run, we'll never even begin to know the answer. I've a feeling that some musicians and equipment companies might be afraid of the answers.

WackyT
June 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Anyone have a good source for NOS carbon batteries? ;)

Spudman
June 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I hate to say it but in a few of my non modulation pedals I can really tell a difference between AC and DC. However, that doesn't sway me to NOT plug my stuff into a power adapter. The difference doesn't outweigh the convenience.

The main difference for me is touch and response. I can more feel a difference than hear a difference. The feel is more consistent for me if I leave everything plugged in....so I do.:)

By the way...I'm looking for some new old stock filtered AC adapters with the oil paper wrapped transformers. If anyone has any or know where I can get some then PM me.

Jimi75
June 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I know that Eric Johnson raised this whole discussion some time ago. This man knows a lot about sound and I believe that he has the most educated ears in music biz. Listen to his album Venus Isle, it took him 7 years to get that sound!

Here's some interesting stuff Eric said - can't believe that with the Fuzz Face screw.....hell yeah:

Eric Johnson started it all with the talk about batteries having an effect on the tone and so on...
Now everybody is careful about what batteries to use on vintage pedals, here are some more tips and rumors from EJ tone bag:

-Pre-amp tubes for Marshall and other three pre-amp tube amps (Bassman..): First Yugoslavian EI 7025 then 2 Chinese 12ax7's (neither is made anymore).
-Cables don´t sound the same both ways!!! Take your guitar chord and plug it into your amp and listen to it with your guitar's volume all the way up (doesn't matter what the amp volume is, but it should be to where it is clear), then take the chord, plug the end that was in your guitar into your amp and vice/versa and you will notice the VERY ANNOYING FACT THAT IT DOESN'T SOUND THE SAME!!!!! I wish they'd never told me that..... (thanks Rick)
-Fuzz Face: If you take the bottom screw out from the Fuzz Face you get a better tone, EJ had the bottom of his Fuzz Face tied with rubber-bands on ALC summer tour!! (now it´s also on Guitar Player but you read it here first .)

Robert
June 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Oh man, I've using my cables the wrong direction all these years!

No wonder I have always had bad tone... :D

Jimi75
June 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Hey Rob, I bet that everybody who's reading this tries the cable thing at home!

Ya know what I'm gonna do when I come home..........it's turning cable time!

Iago
June 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
-Pre-amp tubes for Marshall and other three pre-amp tube amps (Bassman..): First Yugoslavian EI 7025 then 2 Chinese 12ax7's (neither is made anymore).
-Cables don´t sound the same both ways!!! Take your guitar chord and plug it into your amp and listen to it with your guitar's volume all the way up (doesn't matter what the amp volume is, but it should be to where it is clear), then take the chord, plug the end that was in your guitar into your amp and vice/versa and you will notice the VERY ANNOYING FACT THAT IT DOESN'T SOUND THE SAME!!!!! I wish they'd never told me that..... (thanks Rick)
-Fuzz Face: If you take the bottom screw out from the Fuzz Face you get a better tone, EJ had the bottom of his Fuzz Face tied with rubber-bands on ALC summer tour!! (now it´s also on Guitar Player but you read it here first .)

Hehhehe I think you got that from the Custom-Sounds website! I read it before... anyway, first time I heard him I thought "that's a really different tone" (and playing) but I highly doubt anyone else but him would hear a difference on his tone with the cable turned the other way. Same stuff about the fuzz-face bottom screw..

Justaguyin_nc
June 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM

My tone gotta improve...my cables come with arrows so I can't put them backwards!! ;)

SuperSwede
June 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I heard Swede brought back a lot of beer from his trip. We could all meet there and do this blind taste test? And we could try the battery thing too. ;)

Lol... 240 cans baby.
Ah well, to get back on topic..

I know by experience that a battery that gets low on power changes the sound of a pedal, no problems there. But a full (or near full) battery should output 9v just as an adapter? Perhaps the low-quality batteries that Robert speaks of outputs slightly less or more voltage?

Robert
June 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
My tone gotta improve...my cables come with arrows so I can't put them backwards!! ;)

Wow, look at the length of that cable... you must be keeping your amp on your lap! :D

LowEndWonder
December 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Rather be safe than sorry! :thwap: