PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with old Guitar Player mag?

Spudman
June 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
So what do you do with your old Guitar Player magazines?

Do you keep them? Give them to friends? Recycle them?

I've got a big box of them from the 70's and 80's and plan to keep them still, but are the new ones worth hanging on to?

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I only just started getting it, so I do for now. There are lots of technique tips and such in there that I haven't got to yet.

Jimi75
June 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Okay, I had a ton of old guitar world whatever magazines and I brought them all to my friend's studio.

I was clever and put them all in the bathroom to offer the recording artists a good read.

Within days, the Penthouse magazines that lay there before were down at the bottom of the pile of magazines.

That shows the true character of us musicians!

If you feel that it is the right moment to give them away donate them. How about the local music school?

SuperSwede
June 28th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I keep all my glossy guitar magazines, I see them as a treasure full of information. Unfortunately my wife doesn´t so its always up for discussion... "Throw some of those magazines... NOW!".

jpfeifer
June 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I wish that I had a good answer to that question. I have a ton of old GP magazines that I've collected over the years. I keep them mostly for the lesson materials in the back which are often very useful. I've also found the product reviews to come in handy when I'm considering a new purchase, or if I'm buying a used item I can often find it in the older magazine's review section.

But the internet is better for the product reviews because it's easier to search Google instead of my pile of old magazines. Now, if I could find some way to archive the lesson material that would be even better.

-- Jim

Spudman
June 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I wish that I had a good answer to that question. I have a ton of old GP magazines that I've collected over the years. I keep them mostly for the lesson materials in the back which are often very useful. I've also found the product reviews to come in handy when I'm considering a new purchase, or if I'm buying a used item I can often find it in the older magazine's review section.

But the internet is better for the product reviews because it's easier to search Google instead of my pile of old magazines. Now, if I could find some way to archive the lesson material that would be even better.

-- Jim

So you are saving all your old issues?

Bloozcat
July 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Mine are stacked neatly, and out of the way in our home office - much to the chagrin of my wife who thinks that any written knowledge not bound with a hard cover has some sort of expiration date attached.

Little does my wife know that I disposed of all of my 70's/early 80's GP's prior to us getting married. Now that was a stack of magazines...

A few issues back, GP did one of their flashbacks to an article from a past issue. This one was on Johnny Winter from 1974. As a big fan of Johnny Winter's guitar work, I remember the original article well...it was in the stack of GP's that went bye-bye in 1983.

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
So what do you do with your old Guitar Player magazines?

Do you keep them? Give them to friends? Recycle them?

I've got a big box of them from the 70's and 80's and plan to keep them still, but are the new ones worth hanging on to?
do guitar player magazines have tablature in them (i suscribed yesterday)

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
do guitar player magazines have tablature in them (i suscribed yesterday)

Yes. You'll love the magazine. It's good. Just be sure to let us know what you plan on doing with them after you are done with them.:)

guitartist
July 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
At one point I started cutting out all the tab and lessons I wanted to save, and I threw the rest away. Then I would use a 3 hole punch on the pages I had cut out and put them in a notebook (I also did this with a lot of the internet tab I had printed out). I've got a couple of notebooks like this, with different sections devoted to different bands, and genres of music (jazz lessons, country lessons, etc.)

I never did finish doing this with all my old guitar mags (or internet tab) though, and still have a huge box of them...I need to devote a week or two to finishing that project up one of these days.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
So now that you have been getting them for some time what are you doing with them? (a few of us got a killer subscription deal)

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Saving them with all my guitar sheet music and tab stuff in an expando file, and I pick them up and re-read occasionally to find new stuff to do as I progress. Sometimes something that was not interesting to me or beyond what i wanted to try a few months ago looks interesting a few months later. Or an article about some gear I heard about, or something. Thanks for turning me on to the deal. :-)

just strum
November 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
I never read them cover to cover in one sitting or a short period, so in most cases I save them. When I do a final pass, I will then cut out things that I want and put it in a folder. I usually do that in 6 to 12 month cycles. At the moment I only reveive Guitar Player and that is because received a two year subscription for around $3.00.

birv2
November 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
I have them in various stacks around the house: some in the study, some downstairs in the guitar room, and a big stack next to the john in a magazine rack (perfect for perusing while on the throne).

I was actually a Guitar One subscriber earlier this year, when it went under and I found that I was now getting Guitar World, which incorporated some of G1. So GW is better than it used to be, but I'm still not happy with it and won't renew (no offense meant, but I'm not into death metal, etc). However, I did get that killer 2-year subscription to Guitar Player, and I think I'll be very happy with that.

So many guitar mags, so little time. Every time I go past the magazine rack, it seems there's one little article in one magazine that I just HAVE to have. And so the pile grows. I can't throw them out either.

Bob