PDA

View Full Version : My first backing track - blues in E

Robert
January 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I finally got around to play with Cubase tonight. This is a short blues in E. Using Groove Agent for drums; one guitar is playing the "chunka-chunka" shuffle thing, the other guitar is playing chords.

I used the Vox AD50VT and a SM-57. Using Boutique clean for the "chunka-chunka" part, and AC 15 for the chords.

Honest feedback wanted! How is the mix? I mixed it in head phones.

http://www.box.net/shared/o4aumayvqn

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Honest as always: It sounded very good. A bit muddy bass and crisp top, almost like a old blues record.

I also mix in headphones, mostly because my speakers color the sound too much.

The end of the song was very unexpected :)

Robert
January 30th, 2006, 09:17 AM
The end of the song was very unexpected :)

Well I got bored and cut the thing short. It was just a test to see if I could get the software to work, but I think it'll work as a practice blues. I can make it longer if need be.

Justaguyin_nc
January 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Was pretty neat to me... The drum beat at the beginning was kinda in your face loud leading to the song..and the ending was pretty abrupt.. Drums got a pretty good thump to them.. your playing blends well into them.. Suggest a fade into the beat at the beginning and add a fade out at the end... other then that...its a renman special.. well worth the play time...

Robert
January 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I haven't figured out yet how to get the drums to have a count-in, sorry! I also haven't learned yet how to do the fade at the end, but as I said, it was just a test to see if I could get something recorded. It's a start!

Tim
January 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Robert,

Dang man! You should record an instrumental CD. That really sounded good. I envy you guys who are recording your talents.

Three questions please. What settings did you use for the Boutique and AC 15 amp modelers? How did you record the music into the computer? Is Groove Agent software for drums?

All you experienced and skilful players are really sparking a desire in me and I am becoming obsessive in increasing my playing skills. I am on the verge of pushing ahead my retirement, just to spend more time on the guitar. I might just have to go see a shrink to learn how to control this addiction. Boy am I a late bloomer for the ax. Where were you guys 30 years ago? Never mind. I must learn to overcome my worries and become one with my guitar. I must be in harmony with my guitar. Grasshopper you are a guitar. Remember wax on …. wax off.

Justaguyin_nc
January 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hey tim... I know the feeling on the retirement deal... I could have been retired 3 years ago.. but trying to make another year.. This Guitar stuff and the need and want to learn has me feeling the same..just push it up and woodshed a few years... Least we have something to piddle with in our OLD age huh... ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Hey robert .. set yourself up with a click track 1st , i think cubase has the option of embeding a click track ( a metronome that clicks the beats for you )then use that to count in your drums and everything should be in sync ..I hate learning new software , i tend to race ahead use the gear and figure it out as i go , then i do the man thing and read the manual later .. but hey it sounds good man nice groove and a good solid recording , nice job ..get that cubase figured out then you can tell us all how to use it..6S9L

Robert
January 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Tim, when I use the amp, I just turn the knobs until I think it sounds good. I don't know exactly what settings I used.

Groove Agent is really cool. It's a drum program that integrates with Cubase as a VST plugin. It makes it easy to get drum tracks down.

Tim
January 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Robert – You’re a tough cookie to keep up with. Can you maybe try to remember those settings in the future? I’m still searchin’.

Warren - Looks like we must get together and help each other to learn this recording stuff.

Can someone please take this needle out of my vein????

Robert
January 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Tim, maybe you are using a humbucker guitar with higher output pickups?

Tim
January 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
YES I am!! How did you know? I have been turning dials for sometime now. I know humbuckers produce a higher (hotter) output. I am not sure where I should be adjusting for the hotter signal. Do I turn down the volume, gain, master, or the variable on the back. Do I also need to tweak the EQ?

Robert
January 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Try keeping the gain lower, and maybe the volume too. You can try turning the knob at the back way up to get more overall volume. Then you get cleaner sounds. EQ can stay around 12 o'clock somewhere.

warren0728
January 30th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Warren - Looks like we must get together and help each other to learn this recording stuff.

absolutely...and then figure out how to play well enough to want to record!

ww

f1point7
August 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM
the drums at the beginning remind me of a certain bob dylan number...

mainestratman
March 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM
http://jonnyblues.com/img/404robertnotfound.jpg

Robert
March 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
That's one way I tell me the link broken... ok I fixed it.

http://www.box.net/shared/o4aumayvqn

mainestratman
March 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I thought you'd appreciate that. :-D

Thanks!