PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Rock Solo

R_of_G
June 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
If you were forced to select a single guitar solo from the general "rock" genre of music, what would be your favorite?

For me, it would likely be Duane Allman's solo in "Blue Sky" from Eat a Peach.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Boy that answer might change daily. Right now I am re-visiting a lot of Beatles and might choose something off of Abbey Road, maybe "She's So Heavey" including all lead parts. To me, that album is a tone gallery! :DR

Robert
June 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I am not sure what fits in the general rock genre anymore (I am getting old!) but one thought that comes to mind would be the solo in Stairway To Heaven by Jimmy Page.

kerc
June 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
One solo I really like is the one in U2's'The Fly...

Jimi75
June 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Jimi Hendrix

"All along the watchtower"

IMO lightyears ahead of any other rock solo in the history of rock!

R_of_G
June 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Boy that answer might change daily. Right now I am re-visiting a lot of Beatles and might choose something off of Abbey Road, maybe "She's So Heavey" including all lead parts. To me, that album is a tone gallery! :DR

That album and Let It Be are my two fav as far as guitar tone goes. The guitar work in "I Want You/She's So Heavy" is fantastic. I also really like both George and John's work on "I Dig a Pony."

duhvoodooman
June 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Don't know if I have an absolute favorite, but I've always loved Clapton's two solos in the live version of Crossroads, and SRV's blistering solo in Couldn't Stand the Weather. And Hendrix' extended solo work in Voodoo Chile (the long one, not Slight Return) always astounds me....

R_of_G
June 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Don't know if I have an absolute favorite, but I've always loved Clapton's two solos in the live version of Crossroads, and SRV's blistering solo in Couldn't Stand the Weather. And Hendrix' extended solo work in Voodoo Chile (the long one, not Slight Return) always astounds me....

Good call on all counts. Love "Voodoo Chile" or "Voodoo Chile Blues" if you prefer. His blues work is phenomenal. For long Jimi solos, I'd have to pick "Machine Gun," the version from the first night of the two Filmore East shows NYE 1969-70.:cool:

M29
June 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
This is probably not my total favorite but I like Jeff Baxter's solo in My Old School by Steely Dan. It's gots some sas to it:D

M29

R_of_G
June 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM
This is probably not my total favorite but I like Jeff Baxter's solo in My Old School by Steely Dan. It's gots some sas to it:D

M29

It is good, but for Steely Dan solos, how 'bout Randal Elliott's in Reelin In the Years?

marnold
June 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I know it's cliche, but it's still great. Randy Rhoads "Crazy Train." A close second would be George Lynch's "Tierra del Fuego" from his solo CD.

DaveO
June 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Bill Nelson's guitar solo on "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" from "Live In The Air Age" album is nothing less than magnificent.
Turn it up to 11 and listen to the love.
Dave

DaveO
June 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I don't know who is on guitar but -Robert Earl Keen-"Lonely Feeling"- It starts slow but builds nicely.
Dave

M29
June 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, R_of_G

It is good, but for Steely Dan solos, how 'bout Randal Elliott's in Reelin In the Years?

That is one sweet solo. Beautiful tone and feel!

Thanks it was a pleasure to go back and listen to that tune again, it has been a long time for that one.

M29

oldguy
June 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Near the top of my list would be the combined guitar efforts near the end and the outro of "Layla", w/ Duane's slide crying as it's fading away.

Bill Nelson's guitar solo on "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" from "Live In The Air Age" album is nothing less than magnificent.
Turn it up to 11 and listen to the love.
Dave

Absolutely, one of my favorites, "Blazing Apostles" was good also. "Adventures.." was the best IMO, too, tho.

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, "Johnny B. Goode" / excerpt from " Back Door Man", and "World Anthem".

And of course there's always that unreal, repeated, one-note, solo on "Cinammon Girl"!
Somehow, it worked... I hope Neil Young will remember...

TS808
June 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I always liked the solo in "Hotel California"

333maxwell
June 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
If you were forced to select a single guitar solo from the general "rock" genre of music, what would be your favorite?

For me, it would likely be Duane Allman's solo in "Blue Sky" from Eat a Peach.
Alvin Lee's I'm goin home, live at woodstock is amongst my favorite rock solos.

R_of_G
June 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Alvin Lee's I'm goin home, live at woodstock is amongst my favorite rock solos.

excellent call. their set at woodstock is often overlooked, and one of my fav behind sly and santana.

333maxwell
June 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM
excellent call. their set at woodstock is often overlooked, and one of my fav behind sly and santana.

I've seen many a good player,,

And Alvin, again and again and again (I never saw him at Woodstock, but I have seen him many times) ...and he has these small intimate shows.. and is the only act I have ever seen, who can take a crowd from sitting and curious, to them all standing at the same time, saying 'ohhhh'...

Is Lee.,.

I would reckon at least half in his crowd has no clue who he is, yet every time he wins them over.

Once I watched his brother fall drunkenly into the Gongs in perfect timing,..

Now thats rock and roll..

t_ross33
June 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Alex Lifeson: Limelight. If I could point to one song as a cornerstone for my musical taste/direction, this would have to be it. It opened up worlds of music for me and each new discovery tumbled into another... After "Moving Pictures" came out, I started getting serious about listening to artisans and the craft rather than what was on the AM Top 40 chart.

Close second - David Gilmour: Comfortably Numb. I can't listen to it without getting goosebumps.

Just for fun I gotta throw in Don Rich: Buckaroo. Okay, it ain't rock and roll, but I like it anyway. ;)

LagrangeCalvert
June 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Jimi Hendrix.....ALL OF IT....

Other than that Eric Clapton doing crossroads....or just for S's&G's....The solo from "Cowboys from hell"...but thats metal.

Um, I know were supposed to pick one but this is really hard...Voodoo Child prolly.

Wait.....Slash is an amazing heavy blues artist.....

TOO MANY GOOD SOLOS....dammit....there is just too much stuff to call one thing my fav.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Jimi Hendrix.....ALL OF IT....

Other than that Eric Clapton doing crossroads....or just for S's&G's....The solo from "Cowboys from hell"...but thats metal.

Um, I know were supposed to pick one but this is really hard...Voodoo Child prolly.

Wait.....Slash is an amazing heavy blues artist.....

TOO MANY GOOD SOLOS....dammit....there is just too much stuff to call one thing my fav.

Yeah, see, that is why I said my answer would change daily. Too many aspects to guitar solos to pick one for all time for me. Heck, I might pick a Ramones or some other punk solo some days. Too many good solos to pick one for all time. :D :DR

SuperSwede
June 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I´m not really sure if I have one (1) favorite... but I really like Randy Rhoades solo on Mr Crowley (Ozzy).

Justaguyin_nc
June 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
David Gilmour... any and all.. but Comfortbly Numb stands out...

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah I was going to pick Joe's solo in Hotel California as my fav too....

333maxwell
June 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah I was going to pick Joe's solo in Hotel California as my fav too....

Didn't Joe just play 1/3rd of the solo?

I believe it was a concerted effort..

Joe Walsh once (I didn't know him, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time) pushed me down a flight of stairs in a drunken stupor.. I tried to keep him afloat, and went down instead..

The guy, that night, was a complete A hole..

tremoloman
June 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Man that's WAY too hard to limit to just one! I'm going to cheat and pick 5! A few of these are pretty out there...

In no consecutive order:

Jimi Hendrix - Drifting
I feel this is a very emotional and beautiful piece of music. I used this music as a backfrop to a video collage at one of my best friend's funerals a few years ago. People kept asking "Who is this?" and were amazed when I told them it was Jimi.

Rush - Limelight
I second this nomination! That last note at the end of the solo being held for so long in the background sends chills down my spine.

Jimi Hendrix - Earth Blues
I love the whole positive vibe throughout the song...

Metallica - Fade To Black
Kirk Hammett doesn't do much for me but the solo during the outro touches me for some strage reason.

Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Maybe not the most amazing piece of music but I love the raw anger that comes out in this.

-Trem

R_of_G
June 29th, 2007, 04:52 PM
if everyone else gets to pick multiples, than my vote for #2 is marc ribot's solo in tom waits' "jockey full of bourbon"

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Rules were meant to be broken! There ain't no rules in rock n' roll! :)

pes_laul
July 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
this song is kinda terrible unless you like heavy metal but the solo at the very end is improvising by daron malakian and the lead singer on keyboard
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k5XhApoXC2I the solo starts around 3:52 but man its just great

Jamie O
July 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
This may be a little bit of a stretch, but one of my favorite Zep songs is Hot Dog, and I love the sloppy, hysterical, twanginess of that solo.

Another is Sweet Child O' Mine. We've all heard it too much, but its just a good solo. Not too simple, yet melodic enough to remember note for note in your head.