PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for my paul...wanna help?

LagrangeCalvert
June 28th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I am thinking of going to graph tech saddles on my tune-o-matic....and was tinkering with the idea of wraping the strings around the stop tail...would it be possible to put a wrap around bridge piece where the stop tail goes and still use the tune-o-matic?....I really don't like the idea of the string being able to wobble on a stop tail with no way of holding them still...I know you get better sustain the guitar feels a lot more slinky for bends and soloing when you wrap the strings around the bridge, but would I be hurting more than helping by putting a true wrap around with the t-o-matic? I already have a LSR roller nut on my LP and now I want graph tech saddles-like my strat setup cause I don't break strings on the strat - cause they also open up the midrange and help with sustain.....

Thoughts, suggestions, Flames?......

Josh.

Dauntless
June 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Anything is possible! Intonation will still come from the bridge, but, why waste good money for a wrap around when you can always take a file and lightly groove notches on your stop tail just where the strings come out before going over? I remember seeing a stop tail made like that a while back, but due to age and burnt brain cells, I can't remember who manufactured it.

Better yet, why not just wrap and not worry? Don't forget to adjust the stop tail down to the body. No need to adjust bridge height if you like where it's at.

I've got got an SX with the strings wrapped around the stop tail, not grooved, and it dosn't move. And thats using the cheap stock saddles and I play pretty hard too!

One thing you will notice, because of the angle change, string bending is a lot easier due to less string tension and I find it tends to improve the sustain.
I suppose that's why the Zak dude wraps the 13s on his Pauls. :DR

tremoloman
June 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Got a pic of it? I'd like to see what it looks like before I offer my input to keep me from inserting my foot in my mouth later. :)

Dauntless
July 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM
I don't have any recent pics of mine but I have a link for the the Zakk mans.

If you look close, you'll see how the strings are wrapped around the stop tail.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Zakk%27s_Guitars.JPG