PDA

View Full Version : Finally learned Pride and Joy solo

Robert
June 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I am actually quite lazy, and I rarely sit down and learn a solo by an artist. However, yesterday I sat down and transcribed Stevie's solo on the studio recording of Pride and Joy.

It's quite educational to copy what he did. His timing was so good and the rhythmic ideas are often way cool.

Just wanted to mention that transcribing solos (or any set of notes) is great for learning.

Jimi75
June 30th, 2007, 12:55 AM
That is cool Robert! Learning Stevie's stuff enrichens your repertoire with cool licks.

His timing and phrasing is very uncommon and I guess that this is the biggest obstacle for beginners - I remember clearly that the first Stevie Song I have learned was Stevie's version of "Mary had a little Lamb". Bought a tab book in Seattle and the Texas Flood CD together - man was I happy when I could play along to the cd.

Will you make a video of it Robert?

Robert
June 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM
A video of just me playing the solo? Not sure if that's all that useful. Making it into a lesson - I am not sure if I can do that since I think I would have difficulty explaining all the rhythmic figures. What do you think?

Jimi75
June 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
If someone can than it it you Rob!
you did the Scuttle Buttin' thing.....so Pride and Joy would be great.

I know it is very challenging making a lesson about of a Solo, but I am sure if you find a way to make a rhythm track in two or threee different tempos and explain along the track everybody could share the great licks of Stevie!

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I would sure want to see it! Even if my skills can't match what you are doing, I can increase my understanding. So I would say go for it if you have time. It could go on the blues dvd you are working on.

ted s
July 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Yes, I second Steve.

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Why don't you try taping just the first part of the solo lesson, post the vid link just here, and see what us Fretters think of it?

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Why don't you try taping just the first part of the solo lesson, post the vid link just here, and see what us Fretters think of it?

Very good idea!
I think think that such videos also carry a very high potential of motivating us fretters! Don't know how many gazillion times I already watched the video lessons and it always gave a reason to do at leat 30 minutes of practicing before noodeling around again.

Robert
July 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Ah well, the problem is the amount of work to do this...! It takes hours...:eek: I am trying to avoid giving myself too much work right now.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ah well, the problem is the amount of work to do this...! It takes hours...:eek: I am trying to avoid giving myself too much work right now.
Totally understandable. I have too much to do as well. I am just saying that if you get to it some day, I would find it worth it and be thankful for it. :)

carp3nt3r
July 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Well, how about a scan of the paper you transcribed it to? That would give us something to chew on for a while.

Any help appreciated, carp3nt3r.

Robert
July 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I transcribed it to my head only, unfortunately. No paper. :)

Or can I scan my brain on a flat bed scanner? :D