PDA

View Full Version : vox ad grill mods (this should be a GRATE thread)

warren0728
January 30th, 2006, 06:11 AM
hey fretters.....has anyone modded their vox grill to get rid of the cheese grater? Tim i know you were looking into that. Any luck?

ww

Tim
January 30th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Warren,

I have a concept that I am thinking about. I am looking for the material to use on the
NEW “GRATELESS” front panel. If I can not find anything with a diamond type pattern, then I will use a patteren that resembles a Fender design. I am not that particular. My wife is looking at material when she is out and about town. We also have a friend next door who is really into to sewing and such. She is also on the out look for material that resembles the VOX patteren. I am hoping it will be cheap and easy to accomplish. As asked, I will take a few photos as I do the mod.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Hey Tim check outthis site for genuine vox grill cloth...http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/fabrics/.....6S9L

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I saw a guitarst on TV last night that had replaced his Marshall grill cloth with a 1940´s style pinup girl cloth.. It wasn´t half bad ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hey super , which half wasn't bad the top or the bottom...lol 6S9L

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
lol... both were better looking than the guitarist ;)

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
hahaha

I liked Anthrax's Marshall cabinet CAMO grille cloths in the "I'm the Man" video back in the 80s.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Tone , i remember that .. funny i remember one kid spraying his whole 1960a cab in camo shades ...oh the sacrelidge...6S9L

warren0728
January 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
speaking of coverings....do you have to use a special type of cloth or will any relatively thin cloth work...or will it hinder the sound?

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Warren i seem to remember that grill cloth has to be acoustically transparent, as some fabrics tend to cut high end freqs some , most grill cloths seem to be a realy loose weave ...interesting question ,,, 6S9L

Tim
January 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hmmm ?????

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
hey fretters.....has anyone modded their vox grill to get rid of the cheese grater? Tim i know you were looking into that. Any luck?
Yes, indeedy. Hated that hamburger grill, so got some VOX black diamond cloth from North Coast Music and made my own grill. Chronicled here:

http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/spkr_grill.htm

Nelskie
February 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Voodoo - A very informative and nicely done page - thanks for sharing it. Your Vox looks awesome with that black diamond grille cloth. Kinda' makes me wish I hadn't sold mine.

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Voodoo - How does the Celestion sound in the amp? The grille came out really good, well done.

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Replacing the AD30VT stock speaker with the Celestion G10 Vintage was a noticeable improvement, IMO. Took some harshness out of the top end, and firmed up the bass, which I found to be quite raggedy sounding when pushed hard. I think the speaker is still "breaking in", because I play at home and only rarely get to crank the volume up. But definitely a worthwhile upgrade, I believe. I found a place out on the west coast (HERE (http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=191)) that sells them for $77, which is quite a bit cheaper than the $85 or so that the big online sellers get. They will price-match to this figure or slightly below, though. That's what I ended up doing, so that I could deal with an east coast seller, to keep the shipping cost and time down.

P.S. Love the cheese grater. Now I know what that chrome abomination reminded me of!! :D

warren0728
February 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
hey voodoo....welcome to the forum....i was just in new york this past week...man was it cold! Really nice mod on your vox....i think i am going to do something with mine...just haven't decided what yet!

ww

Robert
February 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the board duhVoodooMan! I love that look you created on your Vox, and great coverage on how you did it on your website!

Keep grating cheese,
Robert

Tim
March 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM
Hello VooDoo - Welcome to the Fret Net. I have seen you over on Valvetronix and Patchtronic sites. A few of us have VOX ADxxVT amps and we do post related topics now and then.

duhvoodooman
March 1st, 2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Guess I ought to stop by the "Players" forum and properly introduce myself....

marnold
March 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Nice mod. Of course, I happen to be a fan of the grater look. With kids around, any extra protection the speaker can get is A Good Thing in my book.

duhvoodooman
March 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Nice mod. Of course, I happen to be a fan of the grater look. With kids around, any extra protection the speaker can get is A Good Thing in my book.
Good point. With smaller kids around, the metal grill does afford a lot of protection! And it's really nowhere near as ugly as some of us make it out to be! ;)

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2006, 02:47 PM
I got my stuff wired with electric wire fence. So the kids are in for a nasty surprise if they touch anything ;) muhahaha..

Nelskie
March 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Let's see - now that we have our Vox "Cheesatronix" amp, running through a Danelectro "Grilled Cheese" distortion pedal, we need only one more thing to complete our ultimate "cheesy" tone package. My fellow Fretters, behold the Swiss Cheese Guitar!!!

Sorry fellas, I just couldn't resist! :D

Robert
March 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Fantastic guitar. I'd like to play one when I eat crackers.

SuperSwede
March 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
very tasty guitar.

Tone2TheBone
March 2nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
LMAO @ Nelskie