PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's wah

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I don't know where to put this question so I'll ask it here. Does anyone know how Stevie got Jimi's wah? Was it given to him by an associate of Jimi's?

Jimi75
June 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM
What is the source of this information?

Spudman
June 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
That's news to me. Are you sure he just didn't buy a JH1 pedal?

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM
The source is all over the place. All over the internet and I've seen it written in mags. I'd like to know how he acquired it.

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Here's a clue...

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/002283.html

It's mentioned at the end of this segment...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LFGJhgVK7sI

333maxwell
June 29th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I don't know where to put this question so I'll ask it here. Does anyone know how Stevie got Jimi's wah? Was it given to him by an associate of Jimi's?

I don't know anything about Jimis wah.. in fact, his roadies needed to replace them quite frequently.. so I wouldn't doubt there were many floating around at the time of his departure.

I do remember Stevie being proud as punch, (no digital modelers in those days) talking about how he had been experiementing using TWO wahs at the same time.. one up and one down and vice versa.. sitting on a stool.. in the studio..

Kinda cracks me up..

The first CS I ever purchased was a SRV CD.. he kind of was at the tail end of one technology, and heading in the front door of another era..

Fun stuff

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I don't know anything about Jimis wah.. in fact, his roadies needed to replace them quite frequently.. so I wouldn't doubt there were many floating around at the time of his departure.

I do remember Stevie being proud as punch, (no digital modelers in those days) talking about how he had been experiementing using TWO wahs at the same time.. one up and one down and vice versa.. sitting on a stool.. in the studio..

Kinda cracks me up..

The first CS I ever purchased was a SRV CD.. he kind of was at the tail end of one technology, and heading in the front door of another era..

Fun stuff

What you're talking about is part of the same interview here. I thought maybe someone here at the Fret in the "know" could explain how Stevie Ray got one or perhaps THE one as it were...or might be. :)

..."You actually own Hendrix’s original wah-wah? Is that it on "Voodoo Chile"?’

SRV: Mmm hmm. It’s a great wah-wah. It’s that one and sometimes I use two.

Two wah-wahs at the same time?

SRV: Yeah, I did it a couple of different ways during the session. Sometimes I would just sit on a stool and work both of them separately. Sometimes I would get a piece of rackmount, you know what I’m talkin’ about? The spacer. And I would set it on top of the wah-wahs with the major part of it hangin’ off in the back so when you turn it on and take your foot off, it wouldn’t go squeak [imitates the rise/fall of a wah-wah]. And what it amounted to is if you hit the front end on the right-hand side you could turn that one on by itself and if you hit on the left-hand side you could turn it on and off. And in the middle it was like serious overdrive. But it was fun.

You can get some wild sounds out of ‘em ‘cause one of ‘em drives the other one and then it goes from there and then I’m drivin’ the first wah-wah with a [Ibanez] Tube Screamer. So by the time it gets to the amp it’s like, it’s fun, it’s a lot of fun."

333maxwell
June 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
What you're talking about is part of the same interview here. I thought maybe someone here at the Fret in the "know" could explain how Stevie Ray got one or perhaps THE one as it were...or might be. :)

..."You actually own Hendrix’s original wah-wah? Is that it on "Voodoo Chile"?’

SRV: Mmm hmm. It’s a great wah-wah. It’s that one and sometimes I use two.

Two wah-wahs at the same time?

SRV: Yeah, I did it a couple of different ways during the session. Sometimes I would just sit on a stool and work both of them separately. Sometimes I would get a piece of rackmount, you know what I’m talkin’ about? The spacer. And I would set it on top of the wah-wahs with the major part of it hangin’ off in the back so when you turn it on and take your foot off, it wouldn’t go squeak [imitates the rise/fall of a wah-wah]. And what it amounted to is if you hit the front end on the right-hand side you could turn that one on by itself and if you hit on the left-hand side you could turn it on and off. And in the middle it was like serious overdrive. But it was fun.

You can get some wild sounds out of ‘em ‘cause one of ‘em drives the other one and then it goes from there and then I’m drivin’ the first wah-wah with a [Ibanez] Tube Screamer. So by the time it gets to the amp it’s like, it’s fun, it’s a lot of fun."

*L*

Far out..

I can't believe my memory is that good..

I forgot all about the Jimi thing.. but I remembered the stool..

I give me 3 thumbs up! *

Well.. I mean memory is not my strong point, and I certainly read the original interview and haven't seen it since..

Good stuff!

duhvoodooman
June 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
The story I read was that Stevie's brother Jimmie played in a band that opened for Hendrix when he was in Dallas, and was given the wah pedal then. He later gave or sold it to Stevie. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find where I saw that story....

Tone2TheBone
June 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The story I read was that Stevie's brother Jimmie played in a band that opened for Hendrix when he was in Dallas, and was given the wah pedal then. He later gave or sold it to Stevie. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find where I saw that story....

Cool Voo. If you find it please post it here. When I first heard about this long time ago I always envisioned some mysterious specter approaching Stevie with Jimi's wah pedal in his hands and passing it over to him ceremoniously. That's the Hollywood version. Voo's recollection of it sounds more likely.

Robert
June 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Voo, eh? Good nickname, I shall remember that one!

R_of_G
July 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
just one thing occurs to me, no disrespect to srv, but now that he's gone, who gets the wah? shouldn't it go to another generation of guitarist like it came to him? let the arguments begin for who should get it.... Personally, I'd like to hear Vernon Reid play with it.