PDA

View Full Version : How much is a Tele Squier worth?

oldguy
June 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-2004-FENDER-TELECASTER-SQUIRE-GUITAR-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ180134140136QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33 039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is (incorrectly) listed as a "Squire". I know the guy who did the woodburning, and the guy who put it together and set it up. They're both in their sixties, good musicians, and decent folks. They are both trying to earn some money, as they are retiring.
Here's my quandry... They asked me what price point to start it at... I was at a loss to suggest a price, due to the fact that the axe was worth maybe $200 before the woodburning, lacquer, and setup. It does play good, and the woodburning is a matter of taste, I guess. It is a Squier by Fender, but all vestiges of authenticity and numbers have been removed in order to do the artwork. And since I couldn't, (and wouldn't) suggest a starting bid, they took it to someone who runs an "E-Bay business", and thus, it was listed.
I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I just wasn't that taken by it, otherwise I'd have bought it myself, it's just not my cup of tea.
So here's my question.... if, (and when), it needs to be relisted.... can any of you fretters suggest a ballpark figure? If you walked into a store and saw it, and it played really well and had a good setup, how much would you pay?
These old guys worked really hard on this, but how do you tell a couple of friends (after the fact), that they removed all serial numbers and identification on the guitar, and unless they find someone into what they're trying to do, they may not get half their asking price?
Thanks for any help you can give. I'm open to suggestions.
I even thought of telling them they should take it out and play some jobs with it, and see if anyone who heard and saw it would be interested.

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Man, that's a tough one. The value is almost completley driven by what was done to the guitar, not the guitar itself. If you're into woodburning and hardcore country music, then I'd guess this might fetch that $500 first bid price or more. Certainly not my cup o' tea, though....

tot_Ou_tard
July 2nd, 2007, 05:59 AM
Certainly not my cup o' tea, though....
What if they had hand-carved (not woodburned) incredibly detailed scenes of Hendrix, Clapton, & SRV on a Squier strat?

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Sorry, but I do not believe that those guy will bring down the house with this guitar. The core of that guitar remains a Squire and although some slected Squires a re great sounding guitars, they are known as "cheap".

The artwork is very individual and in my opinion it does not leave a very professional impression, nor did they pick musicians that are inetvitable guitar heroes.

So like above mentioned the idea of putting SRV or Jimi on a Strat is way more commercial.

As long as they have to burn down the lacquer completely, it will be even more diffictul to sell these guitars, as a healthy laquer with artwork is more marketable.

I would start at 125USD/€ with this guitar and use this first model as to make a kind of marketing research. See how many viewers come, how many questions they get and what the main questions are. After filtering they can build another one.

oldguy
July 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, fretters. I see it ended w/ no bids. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and tell them it's not going to fetch what they want ( IMO, anyway).
Jimi, I think you're right on track w/ a price and the marketing idea.
Perhaps they need to think of the big picture, not midwest US of A, and, with your permission, I'll pass along you're suggestion from a more global point of view, along with your credentials, if that's okay with you....
Thanks, guys!:DR

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
nor did they pick musicians that are inetvitable guitar heroes.

I'll have to agree $500.00 is a bit steep... but I think they did pick some heroes... Waylon on a tele? Merle on a tele? come on now..thats a natural... Might be demographics..? did I spell that right? But Willie Nelson on the head with the highway men... and on the pickguard... hey I aint even into a tele right now.. but if the price drops some..I will have a bid on it... those are my country heroes..all of them... Tell them to relist starting at $249.00 and I will make the first bid.. with higher hidden... promised..

only thing bad...when playing it..I would have Kitty Wells in my arm pit...hope she can stand it... also, some kind of clear to help the wood stay intact would be nice...

hope they have lots of success like this...

Jimi75
July 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
but I think they did pick some heroes... Waylon on a tele? Merle on a tele?

For sure Waylon and Merle are heroes and I respect those guys for what they did/do, but I am sure that they are no sales guarantee, if I remember the general interest in the Merle and Waylon Fender signature models.......tough, tough, tough.

Jimi75
July 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks, fretters. I see it ended w/ no bids. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and tell them it's not going to fetch what they want ( IMO, anyway).
Jimi, I think you're right on track w/ a price and the marketing idea.
Perhaps they need to think of the big picture, not midwest US of A, and, with your permission, I'll pass along you're suggestion from a more global point of view, along with your credentials, if that's okay with you....
Thanks, guys!:DR

100% okay!