PDA

View Full Version : The Police/Andy Summers

ShortBuSX
July 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM
I guess Ive always been a Police fan ever since the early 80s...at the time I never really considered learning any of thier songs, but as Ive grown Ive come to appreciate Andy's style and find his rhythms to be fun exercises that I keep coming back to. I like his tones as well as his use of effects...very clean and classy. I dont really care that he doesnt solo much, I think its the simplicity that I like so much...I dunno.

Lately Ive been trying to emulate his tone and there are more effect pedals in my near future to achieve this...but the Ad30vt has been pretty darn good so far. Id like to be able to afford tape delays or fancy rack effects, but sadly I cant(and would rather spend that cash on building up a tele like Andy's)...so Im looking for suggestions, but for the time being Im looking for a good delay pedal under $200(but close to $100 would be nice). Hey and suggestions for an onboard preamp like he uses would be appreciated as well...I dont know where to begin there.

Im also looking for some good books...Ive got a (Police)book/cd combo, but its really got me wanting more and with more details...theres lots of overdubs and different tracks...I just want more *shrug*

Also, I got tickets months ago to see them play, the show is next week...Im pretty excited...and curious if anybody has seen them yet? Past or present?
It doesnt look like Ive got very good seats, but Im sure itll be alright.

Do any of yall play any Police tunes?

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
To be honest, except of "Every breath you take" I have never ever played any of their songs.

Andy Summers is a great and inventive player, but he remains one of the players that I "just" enjoy listenign to and do not investigate his playing any further or try to play his stuff.

The Police is/was a great band, but unfortunately the tickets were so expensive that I did not buy them for the Germany dates.

I have once seen Sting in Las Vegas and this was a great concert, very emotional.

Good luck with learning their songs, and let us hear some of you tries from time to time.

ShortBuSX
July 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
To be honest, except of "Every breath you take" I have never ever played any of their songs.

IF you can play that then "Message In A Bottle" is half as hard as "Every Breath"...but still a (finger)stretch thats similar.

The Police is/was a great band, but unfortunately the tickets were so expensive that I did not buy them for the Germany dates.

I kinda got lucky, a buddy of mine bought a bunch of different tickets in an attempt to get good ones, his cost him $250 for his "decent" seats...and I opted for the $50 a seat tickets he was getting rid of...I dont really care where I sit...I'll just be happy to be there.

Good luck with learning their songs, and let us hear some of you tries from time to time.

Thanks, but I'll probably not be posting any songs anytime soon...no recording gear, lack of rhythm, I play by myself mostly and have just recently begun to attempt playing along with a drum...Ive got plenty more hurdles before Id even consider displaying my "talent" or lack there of. But thanks for the words of encouragement.

I was wondering though if anybody could give me some tips on Andy's right handed hammering/picking technique...he kinda does both at the sametime, its nothing too fancy or "extreme", but he will hammer a harmonic on one string and the pick another...it just looks really wierd in the notation, lookin for tips

Also I was curious if anybody could tell me if "Bring on the Night" is really played by playing the same triplet 3 times or if thats all delay doing that...the only transcriptions Ive found show it played, but I THINK its gotta be on delay.
Bring On The Night(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBYPxDGdi-w)
Bring On The Night(guitar tab) (http://www.guitaretab.com/s/sting/18426.html)

ShortBuSX
July 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
WOW!:eek:

Is Andy Summers that bad or what?

ShortBuSX
July 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
For the life of I cant figure out why anyone would want a pre amp on a humbucker guitar? Wouldnt that make an already hot humbucker even hotter? Or am I missing something? Or does he fire up the heat and then turn it down to a simmer with the compressor?

ShortBuSX
July 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Id have to say that the Police were a deffinate high point of the Live Earth concerts, although Andy played a Strat instead of his Tele...I thought it was awesome! Now I really cant wait until Wednesdays show!

Did anybody catch John Mayer playing Message In A Bottle with them?

ShortBuSX
July 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Uh, yeah...good times...good times...

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Id have to say that the Police were a deffinate high point of the Live Earth concerts, although Andy played a Strat instead of his Tele...I thought it was awesome! Now I really cant wait until Wednesdays show!

I missed the whole thing. Will need to catch it on youtube or something. I like a lot of the Police. Esp. the older stuff. I don't know any though. I am trying to learn some reggae and hope to get into some Police stuff from there.

Lev
July 9th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I thought the Police were amazing at Live Earth and I too love Andy Summers playing. I think however the reason that most guitarists tend to ignore his playing is that it's too difficult to pull off a Police cover. Technique wise if you can stretch your left hand enough to reach the chords and get the fluency in the changes then you're most of the way there for MIaB & EBYT. HOWEVER trying to pull off a police song live using the correct amount of delay with a drummer who can keep time to your delay setting is a completely different story.

I was amazed at Live Earth on 'Can't Stand Losing You' how Stewart Copeland was so in sync with Andy Summers delay - it was pretty amazing to watch. There's no way I would ever consider trying pull something like that off live. Also it was nice to see John Mayer on stage with the Police.

By the way I thought the Foo Fighters were amazing in the London gig. Not usually my cup of tea but they really rocked!

ShortBuSX
July 9th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I think however the reason that most guitarists tend to ignore his playing is that it's too difficult to pull off a Police cover. Technique wise if you can stretch your left hand enough to reach the chords and get the fluency in the changes then you're most of the way there for MIaB & EBYT. HOWEVER trying to pull off a police song live using the correct amount of delay with a drummer who can keep time to your delay setting is a completely different story.

I guess thats how I differ than most...Im not in a band, and its songs like this these makes a guy like me look good, and it feels good too! Like Ive said in the past, I use, those 2 songs specificlly, as an exercise, I go back to them constantly and Im constantly improving upon...and honestly/sadly I had never really figured out the timing on MIaB until playing along with the Live Earth performance. Even if you get the fingering down on EBYT, you still gotta peice all those different runs together and they go in differnt orders throughout the song, so it is hard...but since when was guitar ever really "easy"?
I also cant relate to the delay issues...I dont have one yet, although it is on my short list...and as I said I dont really have drummer/delay issues.

BUT I can relate to not being able to pull this kinda stuff off on the spot...it is difficult...but thats why I think its so fun.*shrug*

I was amazed at Live Earth on 'Can't Stand Losing You' how Stewart Copeland was so in sync with Andy Summers delay - it was pretty amazing to watch.

Im really having a hard time seeing what you are talking about, can you give me a (time)point so I can see what youre refering to?
Cant Stand Losing You/Live Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-Runiy-TY)

By the way I thought the Foo Fighters were amazing in the London gig. Not usually my cup of tea but they really rocked!

I know its popular not to like the Foo Fighters...but those guys never dissapoint! Lots of power and energy...I actually miss Dave as a drummer, but the new guy is amazing too!

Message In A Bottle w/John Mayer and(snicker)Kanye West (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9eDrsqCYCQ&mode=related&search=)

Lev
July 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Im really having a hard time seeing what you are talking about, can you give me a (time)point so I can see what youre refering to?
Cant Stand Losing You/Live Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-Runiy-TY)
[/URL]

Sure, right at the very start and at 2.20 - you can hear it more at 11secs when he introduced a second note the pedal thing where the note is being repeated by the delay. If you consider that not every note you hear is actually coming from him on the guitar - it's being generated by the delay, hence if you lose timing you not only affect the note you are playing but also the subsequent delay (echo note). It's very easy for it all to turn to mush. Add to this that the drummer also needs to keep time with what you are playing and with he repeated delay notes.

The reason Summers and the Edge use delay to such great effect is the attention to detail and how they time the delay to the exact tempo of the song. I guess it just take alot of practice to get right and you need to be confident that the drummer is 100% on the timing. I guess I've had some bad experiences with drummers in the past who's timing was a little inconsistent, so using this type of delay throughout a whole song is alittle scary :o

ShortBuSX
July 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Any suggestions for an affordable delay that could be compairable to the fancy tape delays he used in the past?(Im pretty sure hes using rack mounted effects nowdays)

[edit]Could you(or anybody) answer my delay question, I posted previously about "Bring On The Night"?

[edit#2]AND at the 2 minute point on "Cant Stand Losing You" hes using that harmonic tapping and strumming that Id previously asked about too.

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM
About your delay observations, how itd get muddy, timing...and the drummer....I notice on (studio versions)songs like "Bring On the Night" and the original "Dont Stand So Close" that there is a lil warm up with Andy and Stu, where they get their sync together...and then they move into the song.

Lemme see if I can find one of these...
Bring On The Night(studio) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuSOi7qRquE)
Dont Stand So Close To Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXU8kCrRHJY)

While looking I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5klu7WDLM)...and now I gotta say I have to find the right tab for "Bring On The Night", cause my left hand isnt that busy! And for some reason I dont find his style as difficult as the chords he uses...he makes it look harder than it is, like hes an engineer or something...anybody know what I mean? 11ths and 13ths??? Whats that about?

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLQxOtx_FRA&mode=related&search=) is good stuff about several songs, including Message in a Bottle

Andy and effects 1987 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLQxOtx_FRA&mode=related&search=)...I really like that "backwards reverb"...whatever that is*shrug* I like it!

[edit]Just found this as well Andys effects on Ghost In the Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWj8JIPLI8)...HUGE pedal board! BTW its a music video for the song "Demolition Man" until the 3:45 mark and it becomes another interview about his style and effects. Andy clearly suffers from GAS! Check out that slide work too!

guitartist
July 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Hey ShortBusX, Have you seen the Police play yet? I am curious to hear a review of the show. I saw them play back in 1983 and they were great (actually the show I went to was filmed for MTV back in the day). Jeez, hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago.
A couple of months ago I bought their box set "Message In a Box" from a buddy's garage sale and have been listening to it a lot ever since. Like the other guys, I've never learned any of their songs, but have always liked their music (I think years ago I played "Every Breath" & "Roxanne" a few times, sight reading them out of a magazine, but I never really learned them).

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hey ShortBusX, Have you seen the Police play yet? I am curious to hear a review of the show. I saw them play back in 1983 and they were great (actually the show I went to was filmed for MTV back in the day). Jeez, hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago.

Im seeing them tonight! Im pretty stoked...Ive been in a big Police mood ever since I got the ticket, then the songbook and then the new compilation.

A couple of months ago I bought their box set "Message In a Box" from a buddy's garage sale and have been listening to it a lot ever since. Like the other guys, I've never learned any of their songs, but have always liked their music (I think years ago I played "Every Breath" & "Roxanne" a few times, sight reading them out of a magazine, but I never really learned them).

I got the box set about 10 years ago, I had it all on tape(copies)...eventually I just recorded all the songs I liked(the cream)...its a good box set, but there really is just too much there. The new compilation has just about everything youd want, except what Im missing is "Secret Journey"...maybe a few more.

I really like Roxanne...its very simple and easy to play, the chords are a lil different, but if you memorize them and keep playing it...the song is really simple and even moreso because there is no lead.

I keep reading people saying that they are difficult to learn/play...but I find that Message In A Bottle and Every Breath are as hard as it gets...people dont even consider how easy a great song like "Bed's Too Big Without You" is. Its not that difficult, and if you own a delay pedal, HOW CAN YOU NOT PLAY POLICE TUNES????

ShortBuSX
July 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I am curious to hear a review of the show.

Awesome show! After seeing the Live Earth show I was concerned Stings voice wasnt as good as it used to be, and it was appearant when they did Roxanne on Live Earth...but he was SPOT ON last night!

They played everything youd kinda expect them to play...and almost every song was great, sound was great...but Dont Stand So Close got pretty "muddy" to the point it was just bass, drums and vocals...they shouldnt have played that song, really. Other than that...great show!

BTW, the opening band was Sting's son's band...Faultline? Frontline?

guitartist
July 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
That's cool ShortBusX. I'd like to see them on this tour, but tickets are going for more than I can swing right now. The Police played a short set at some club in LA right after they announced this tour, the first time they'd played together since they broke up - I heard some of it on the radio. they still sounded pretty rough then, Stewart Copeland was even telling Sting and Andy what chords to play alot while they were playing. At a chord change, you'd hear Stuart say "A minor!" You'd think that they would've rehearsed a bit more before that gig!

Going to see Ian McLagan play tonight - am excited about that. He was the keyboard player for the Small Faces & the Faces, and has played with the Stones, Pete Townshend, Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, etc...I never really listened much to the Small Faces before this spring and have really been into them a lot the past 4 months or so, so I'm really jazzed about this show.

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Not to hijack the Police thread, but Ian McLagen put on quite a show with Bonnie when she was here last year. It would be fun to see what he would do in his own show.

elavd
July 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I play in a cover band, and during the years that we play, we've covered:
Can't stand loosing you
Message in a bottle
Walking on the moon
So lonely

Every time we play a Police song, I have great time ;)

Take a look at a part of Andy Summers' video guitar lessons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5klu7WDLM

He explains both "Roxanne" and "Bring on the night" ;)

(I've got the whole video, it has more info and details on his playing and it's cool ;))

Also I love the way A. Summers/The Edge/D. Gilmour use the delay...

I have incorporated it in my playing too...

ShortBuSX
July 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
That's cool ShortBusX. I'd like to see them on this tour, but tickets are going for more than I can swing right now. The Police played a short set at some club in LA right after they announced this tour, the first time they'd played together since they broke up - I heard some of it on the radio. they still sounded pretty rough then, Stewart Copeland was even telling Sting and Andy what chords to play alot while they were playing. At a chord change, you'd hear Stuart say "A minor!" You'd think that they would've rehearsed a bit more before that gig!

Id seen those videos bout 2 weeks ago, heres 5 videos from that night. (http://www.youtube.com/user/policetour07) ...but they are still great videos! Id be totally content had I gone to that show instead.

I play in a cover band, and during the years that we play, we've covered:
Can't stand loosing you
Message in a bottle
Walking on the moon
So lonely

Every time we play a Police song, I have great time ;)

Thanks for your post!

ShortBuSX
July 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Also I love the way A. Summers/The Edge/D. Gilmour use the delay...

I have incorporated it in my playing too...

What kinda DELAY are you using or what would you suggest to emulate Andy's kinda delay???? Im just about ready to get one, but am kinda puzzled, having never had one.(I dont count my RP200)

elavd
July 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
What kinda DELAY are you using or what would you suggest to emulate Andy's kinda delay???? Im just about ready to get one, but am kinda puzzled, having never had one.(I dont count my RP200)

If you don't want to spend a lot of money I would definitely suggest you the Digitech DigiDelay effect.
It's reasonably priced and very versatile. It has an analog type of delay (tape delay simulation) among others, which will help you recreate easily the Andy Summers sound ;)

If you want to buy a more expensive but still versatile delay unit, I would suggest you the Boss DD-20.

Personaly I had both delays on my pedalboard until some months ago and I was very pleased with them.

But recently I sold all of my 15 stompboxes, and now I use exclusively my beloved Tonelab SE ;)

jpfeifer
July 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I've been a big fan of Any Summer's playing since the 80's when I first started listening to the Police. I learned several of their tunes just to get familiar with some of those chords that Any Summers played. I've also tried to imitate his sound over the years. I never cared too much for his single note solo stuff, since it is very angular and atonal (a bit too weird for me), but his chordal work was pure genius.

My favorite Police tune is "Murder By Numbers" just because of the chords. I really love those changes. I also learned "Roxxanne", "Message in a Bottle", "There's a Hole in my Life", "Driven to Tears", and "Every Breath you Take" along with a few others.

I don't know exactly what Andy uses to get his tone, but I can imitate his sound pretty well with a decent Chorus and a Digital Delay (with tap tempo). I think that he actually used a Flange for his sound but I could never get it to sound like him unless I used a chorus. The other thing that helps is to use a amp setting that isn't crystal clean. Use a Marshall or Vox AC30 amp sound with just a little bit of distortion. He played through a Marshall for a lot of the Police recordings (this sound works great for songs like Roxxane and Message in a Bottle). It also helps a lot to use a guitar with single coil pickups, and set it to the bridge pickup. If you don't have a Tele then try a Strat. It's pretty close.

-- Jim

ShortBuSX
July 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Wow thanks for the tone tips...kinda confirms my current settings on my Vox AD30vt....Im using the AC30 setting with the chorus/delay dialed in...but Im having a hard time getting any slap back when needed...I just need to get a real delay pedal.

About the flanger, there have been several who suggest the Electro Harmonix, Electric Mistress(flanger) and they have reported that is very chorus like and less like a wave crashing flanger.