PDA

View Full Version : Black Snake Moan

Justaguyin_nc
July 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Ok, I really don't know where to put this.. but have you seen or heard Black Snake Moan With Samuel Jackson Playing guitar and singing?

Pretty good picture if you like Jackson.. Some nice bluesy music... worth the time imho.. enjoyed seeing him get slicked back and pulling out his es-335... pretty neat... rent it..and enjoy it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BaSHQWHBb0U&mode=related&search

And he actually learned to play for this part...

So how natural was it to learn to play guitar and are you keeping it up?

SJ: Heck no. It was very daunting. I had to learn to do something that I was supposed to have been doing for a while and feels natural to me and not studied and practiced. I was lucky that my teachers let me find my own way to the music (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/samuelljacksonx22x05x07#). I am lucky that I play other instruments so my ear is pretty good. By the time I learned my way to walk across the frets and play chords, I knew I could listen to a song and pick my way and find the groove. I learned to play the songs (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/samuelljacksonx22x05x07#) in this odd kind of way that was just mine. When I visited those guys in the Delta, I saw that most of them didn't start learning till they were past 30 and they taught themselves so they each have their own unique style. I created this thing that was mine and that was kind of cool. As for my guitars, I actually have seven guitars. I got to the point of looking forward to waking up each morning and picking up the guitar and learning the songs and making my own style. I never used a pick. I just used my fingers.

And Stack-o-lee UNCENSORED version here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5BZxTaRBEKU&mode=related&search

guitartist
July 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I saw Samuel Jackson play guitar on David Letterman when he was promoting this film...his guitar teacher was Felicia Collins, who is one of the guitarists in Letterman's band.

Samuel sat in with the band and they played an old blues standard (can't remember which one). Can't say I was that impressed with Jackson's playing, but I thought that it was very cool that he learned how to play some for this movie part...he is one of my favorite actors. I guess for someone who had only been playing for six months or so he sounded pretty good.

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I saw this movie on the Tues it was realeased on DVD...I had wanted to see it pretty bad when it came out. I really like the blues alot, so I was really anxious to see what it was about.

I dont wanna spoil this movie, I think its a movie alot of people should see.

I gotta say I was pleasantly suprised to see the movie wasnt as dark as it appeared from the commercials...it REALLY wasnt what I had expected...and I REALLY like dark movies.

In saying that though, I think the BLUES was a marketing ploy, and had no real place in the movie...and Id even go as far as to say it was a contridiction even being in the movie, in some ways.

BUT I will say I really liked the guitar parts as well as the blues in this movie...and I really liked this movie. This movie is just different, different than youd expect. But very GOOD. 1 and 3/4 thumbs up!

Justaguyin_nc
July 11th, 2007, 05:30 AM
In saying that though, I think the BLUES was a marketing ploy, and had no real place in the movie...and Id even go as far as to say it was a contridiction even being in the movie, in some ways.

That's interesting Short...I really felt like it fit in perfect for the movie.. without spoiling it... everyone was something before they are something again.. and usually fall back to what they had been... hmmm.. that sound right? lol...

I was trying to figure out what model Peavey amp he was playing thru.. enjoyed his little slide work and just his overall take on the blues he was taught.. most excellent when pros can teach newbies how to make something so simple seem so powerful.