PDA

View Full Version : New schecter

pes_laul
July 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
The other day i saw a beatufil shecter ACS-elite-12 i think. ive never used a 12 string before if someone could give me tips on what kind of strings how to tune them and what not http://schecterguitars.com/hr.asp?id=126
it has a beautiful finish

tot_Ou_tard
July 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
I've never played a 12 string, but I'm happy to hear any advice folx give you. Someday, I'll probably get one.

SuperSwede
July 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Ahh.. Top notch finish! ThereĀ“s something special about Schecter guitars!
12 strings are a lot of fun, but they can be hard to tune properly.

Plank_Spanker
July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
That's purdy! :D

I can't speak for Schecter acoustics, but I love their electrics - big bang for the buck. I own a 12 string acoustic, so here's my two cents........

I use light gauge strings. They're easier to play (remember - you're fretting 12 strings), and easier on the neck and top. I've used Martin SP's and Elixir Nanowebs - the Elixirs are my favorite. As for tuning, there seems to be two schools with 12 strings - one champions tuning down at least a half step, and the other is "damn the torpedoes, tune it right up to standard". The half step method holds true for some older 12 strings, but most new ones have bracing and truss rods from hell to allow standard A440 tuning. . Consult your owner's manual to be sure.

If that Schecter plays half as good as it looks, you'll have a winner! :D

carp3nt3r
July 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
wow, thats a nice guitar, someday i might get the urge to try one. for now i have enough trouble outta 6 strings....

carp3nt3r

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I have an old 70's Yamaha acoustic-only 12-er I bought from a pawn for $150. I use standard tuning. As noted above, light strings are good given that there are so many more of them.

Simply buy a full set of 12-string strings. On the lower 4 strings (EADG) the notes are the same but an octave apart. Thus you have a regular low E string paired with a second E string that's an octave higher. On the two highest strings (B and E) the strings are simply double the usual, both the same note exactly. For that reason it's even more important to get those top two pairs tuned perfectly.

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM
For that reason it's even more important to get those top two pairs tuned perfectly.

Yup!

12 strings are very unforgiving with the tuning. They're tons of fun when the strings are brand new and stretching out.......:(

...................but they're not completely evil. :D

You'll catch on quickly, and once you do, you'll love the sound! :D

pes_laul
July 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yup!

12 strings are very unforgiving with the tuning. They're tons of fun when the strings are brand new and stretching out.......:(

...................but they're not completely evil. :D

You'll catch on quickly, and once you do, you'll love the sound! :D
what tones do you tune the strings to like the main six are eadgbe what are the little strings

WackyT
July 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
what tones do you tune the strings to like the main six are eadgbe what are the little strings

http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=22