PDA

View Full Version : What Key To Sing In?

Tim
July 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I play in a small praise & worship band. Normally we play the music in a key which the majority of the audience can sing. There are certain songs that just a band member will sing or lead. I am building the courage to lead some songs.

How does one find out what is the best key for your own voice? I have tried singing into a guitar tuner, but I am not sure this is a good way of finding my natural singing key. Any suggestions will helpful. Thanks!

oldguy
July 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Although my singing really s-u-c-k-s...... :D ......
I usually learn the chord pattern, the tempo, and just strum along and sing until I find the key where I'm most comfortable, and not straining to hit the higher notes, or breathing unnaturally to get to the low notes. Breathing has a lot to do with it for me, timing your breaths to match the song, so you're not out of sync with the rhythm of the music and words.

Hope that helps.

My singing still s-u-c-k-s, though. I sing in the shower, and solo. So low nobody hears me....:DR

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Mostly I quit trying to sing songs that were just at the upper edge of my range.
Now if I can't sing a cover tune in the key that it was written in I just don't do it and find something else that I can sing.

The problem for me is when I changed keys in pop songs they lost a lot of their energy. That isn't usually true for more blues like tunes and some standards.

Tim
July 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate your replies. Sounds like you all just go with it. I also like original keys to which songs are written in. It helps to learn them that much easier.