PDA

View Full Version : Icky Thump - The White Stripes

Tone2TheBone
July 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I've been intrigued by these guys for awhile now and finally broke down and bought something of theirs after seeing the video of them on the new Guitar World Mag CD. I often get together and play for fun over at my neighbor/cousin across the road from us....just drums and guitar...and that's why this music is appealing to me. Very simple and quirky in a cool way. I dig Jack's vocals and his different musical approach to the guitar and Meg could play drums for me anyday...I love her pounding tribal grooves. My teenage daughter loves them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Icky-Thump-White-Stripes/dp/B000OYC3J8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0771998-9766834?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1183484430&sr=8-1

Jamie O
July 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
This guy is one of my favorite guitar players. I love the blues but it can get a bit repetative and "standardized". Jack White plays it , to me, like it should be played. This is in my mind more in the spirit of the blues than alot of what u hear. Then again I learned to love blues thru hard rock bands, so whaddo I know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC6Hu9fjgZQ

SuperSwede
July 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I love the White Stripes! I think that their version of "Jolene" is fantastic. Especially the live version from "Under the blackpool lights"

tot_Ou_tard
July 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I love the White Stripes too. I've got all their other CD's, but I haven't heard Icky Thump yet.

guitartist
July 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I just recently got the cd "Van Lear Rose" by Loretta Lynn, which Jack White produced (and performs on). Whoa, this cd is truly a gift from the music gods...their duet "Portland Oregon" got stuck in my head and I had to listen to it about 6 times a day for 2 weeks straight...its that good.

Lots of tasty slide playing on this disc too.

Its funny that out of all the albums that the First Lady of Country Music has recorded, this is the first one where's she's written all the songs on it. I have a feeling all of the Nashville producers she's worked with had their own material for her to record, whereas Jack gave her a lot more creative freedom.

This cd is the perflect blend of rock and country, IM0. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Tone2TheBone
July 25th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Just a followup comment to this original post. I've had the 'Icky' CD for awhile now and there is not a bad song on the entire thing. Every song is awesome. Just really different stuff and the guitars are pretty cool. I love the slide guitar in "Catch Hell Blues". I've already learned a lot of these songs. After reading his interview in Guitar World I see that a lot of his philosophies are similar to my own. I'm a real fan now.

Tone2TheBone
September 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM
As was stated in the Calender thread I got tickets to The White Stripes show that was supposedly sold out!

According to Ticketmaster a venue can release more seats when it comes time to getting closer to the show based on these reasons;

A venue may release more tickets for Ticketmaster to sell as the event date approaches. This happens for several reasons, such as 1) The artist or team may no longer need the tickets that were held when the event originally went on sale, 2) Once the stage or event area is set up, the venue has a better idea about which seats are obstructed. Sometimes events are so popular that even seats with obstructed views are released for sale! Or 3) Sometimes a customer attempts to buy tickets but their credit card is declined.

So the lesson here is if you ever get caught in the suck line for missing tickets always check back. You never know. The show isn't till next Thursday night but I can't wait. I'd been wanting to see these guys live and my teenager daughter is going to be thrilled with the news when I get home. :R

aeolian
September 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Jack White has a side project called the Raconteurs. Have you heard of them? A bit less offbeat than the White Stripes, a bit more straight ahead.

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Jack White has a side project called the Raconteurs. Have you heard of them? A bit less offbeat than the White Stripes, a bit more straight ahead.

I like what I have heard from them. I have not heard that much but I have liked it.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Damn it. The show is cancelled as is the rest of their tour. Meg is freaking out with anxiety. I know how that feels sometimes. This is a drag. :( Would have been a great show.

sunvalleylaw
September 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Damn it. The show is cancelled as is the rest of their tour. Meg is freaking out with anxiety. I know how that feels sometimes. This is a drag. :( Would have been a great show.

Bummer. Anxiety sucks. Sometimes I feel that the whole country suffers more depression and anxiety after six years ago yesterday. Could just be my perception. I Hope she feels relieved and they pick up some of their tour or schedule a new one.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Bummer. Anxiety sucks. Sometimes I feel that the whole country suffers more depression and anxiety after six years ago yesterday. Could just be my perception. I Hope she feels relieved and they pick up some of their tour or schedule a new one.

Dammit. Now it's all over the internet.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUKN1224074120070912

I just called my daughter to break the bad news. Frik. We were looking forward to seeing them in concert. :reallymad: Having said that I know what acute anxiety is and how it feels. I know that as much as I love playing now I don't think I could handle a world tour myself if it were me. I'd have to be drunk on my *** everyday if I did because I wouldn't be able to handle the extreme fear and intense shot of adrenaline that comes with anxiety...especially when you're on the road touring. That can be a bad thing and I hope Meg gets better cause you eventually can get better with it with proper care and training...and booze. ;)

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Uh-oh. Now all their 2007 shows are cancelled:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/18/music.whitestripes.ap/index.html

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well, if anxiety is getting her, better she takes all the time she needs now to deal. Kinda like you don't want to start running on that torn hamstring too soon just to get back out there and end up turning it chronic.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm still bummed about it. This would have been their BEST tour ever to date. The success of Icky Thump is phenomenal. This couldn't have come at a worse time. However like I said I have to deal with anxiety too so I know what it's like and I hope Meg can hang in there and work with it. I'm able to get through those funks without drugs now....but like I said the booze does help even though it's probably not a good suggestion.