PDA

View Full Version : Fav Non-Jimi Player

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Ok, let's have some fun. This time, let's limit ourselves to one answer, hard as that may be. If you had to pick one guitarist as your all-time favorite [note, this does not mean who you think is best, just who is your favorite] guitar player of any genre. To make it more interesting, and more varied, let's take Jimi out of the equation. For me, it's Django Reinhardt. He could express more with one string [and two less fingers] than other guitar players with on all 6 strings. Interested in hearing all of your answers.

Tone2TheBone
July 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
What about the other Jimmy? My favorite will always be Mr. James Patrick Page.
Not the best per se but my own personal favorite. The Les Paul player with the Tele ideas and sound. His studio work is amazing. Creative layering of sound. Sloppy or not he was one hell of a rock star and my guitar hero.

Robert
July 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Scott Henderson. Jazz/Fusion, Blues or Rock - he just rips.

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
David Gilmour... suprised? :)

ten years my senior...listened to him from the start.. nothing fancy.. not fast.. plays with feeling.. makes an awesome sound.. haven't heard a bad recording from him..

duhvoodooman
July 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
SRV

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Roine Stolt.

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Roine Stolt.

Not sure I know who that one is Spud.

WackyT
July 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
EVH

Tim
July 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
The late & Great "Chet Atkins"

Big_Rob
July 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Jerome Garcia

ted s
July 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Lately I would have to say Mr. Clapton.

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Jerome Garcia
Good call there Rob. He was in my final four [Django, Jerry, Ribot & Frisell]

Robert
July 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Well since Scott Henderson is very Jimi-inspired, I'll also suggest

Wes Montgomery!

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
The late & Great "Chet Atkins"

Chet Atkins was a huge influence on one of my other favorites, George Harrison [and me as well]. Good call

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Well since Scott Henderson is very Jimi-inspired, I'll also suggest

Wes Montgomery!

Dunno Henderson, will have to check him out if he comes recommended by you. Montgomery is a god. As fas ar straight-ahead jazz goes, he and Joe Pass are my idols in that arena.

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
ok dont make fun of me but probaly daron malakian because even know he aint the greatest i just really like the way he plays his style and feel

oldguy
July 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
:D Les Paul. Why? A player and an innovator.
Check out "Lester and Chester". He and Chet have some incredible tunes and banter........ and you'll see Les taught Chet alot of licks, but he held back a few, just in case....;) ..... it's hilarious and touching.

stingx
July 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I've always dug Rik Emmett's guitar playing.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Not sure I know who that one is Spud.

Google my friend. He is one of the most recorded guitarists alive, and of course he's from Sweden.

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Nuno Bettencourt... hands down.

Tim
July 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Nuno Bettencourt... hands down.

I should have bet on your choice tremolo. I still watch the DVD now and then, but Tubular Bells is the best.

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Glad you like it! I really was impressed my John Paul Jones on that video. I have a special fondness for Nuno since he talked me out of quitting the guitar when I was about to.

I'll post the video my friend recorded if you guys want to see it on YouTube. I'll have to break it up into 6 10-min pieces. If you need motivation, this is the video to watch. As a bonus you get to hear him rag on my friends too.

Nobody has seen this since its the only known copy.
I should have bet on your choice tremolo. I still watch the DVD now and then, but Tubular Bells is the best.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Glad you like it! I really was impressed my John Paul Jones on that video. I have a special fondness for Nuno since he talked me out of quitting the guitar when I was about to.

I'll post the video my friend recorded if you guys want to see it on YouTube. I'll have to break it up into 6 10-min pieces. If you need motivation, this is the video to watch. As a bonus you get to hear him rag on my friends too.

Nobody has seen this since its the only known copy.

That would be awesome to see Trem. Please do post it.

Jimi75
July 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM
That is a very tough question, because besides Jimi there is a big nothing but let see who follows then - it must be someone who sounds non-jimi......

Matthias IA Eklundh,

because his playing is revolutionary and I love listening to him!

sunvalleylaw
July 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Neil Young. I can find something he does for almost any place I am in. Acoustic and electric. I suppose his lyrics have a lot to do with it as well, besides his guitar.

Spudman
July 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
That is a very tough question, because besides Jimi there is a big nothing but let see who follows then - it must be someone who sounds non-jimi......

Matthias IA Eklundh,

because his playing is revolutionary and I love listening to him!

Good choice. He's also a very good song writer. His hooks are very good.

rkwrenn
July 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Danny Gatton.

Cheers,

Bob

marnold
July 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
<- This guy

(George Lynch for the metal-impaired)

Spudman
July 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Roine Stolt.

http://www.myspace.com/roinestoltguitar

Robert
July 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Wow, I have more Myspace profile views than Roine!

Great blues song that pops up on his myspace page. Very tasty dude.

250Keith
July 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I dont know, so many, how about john Hiatt, Taj Mahl.
I like it all, I dont like rap though.

Jamie O
July 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Duane Allman. Put me on a deserted island with a copy of Fillmore East and something to play it on....and Jennifer Connelly...and I'm all set.

tot_Ou_tard
July 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Duane Allman. Put me on a deserted island with a copy of Fillmore East and something to play it on....and Jennifer Connelly...and I'm all set.
I had to do a google search for Jennifer Connelly. I didn't know who she was...now I do. Thanks! :)

Jamie O
July 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I had to do a google search for Jennifer Connelly. I didn't know who she was...now I do. Thanks! :)

Actually, if Jennifer Connelly were involved, I'd be OK on an iceberg with an 8-track player and a copy of The Final Countdown.