PDA

View Full Version : Finally went tube

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
After much debate I finally ordered my Epi VJ head.
Now the question is ...What cabinet do you use?
Thanks, Dave

oldguy
July 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
After much debate I finally ordered my Epi VJ head.
Now the question is ...What cabinet do you use?
Thanks, Dave

I use an Avatar 2x12 cab w/ Celestions, but it's really loud past 12 o'clock on the volume.
It was when it was stock, since I modded it, it's distortion and crunch city. Love it. :D
Wire up a Hammond output transformer in it, and enjoy...... :D :D :D
If you like that, go back in and change about $15 worth of caps and resistors and build yourself a boo-teek SE little tone monster!!!:DR

DaveO
July 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
I have an old cabinet from a solid state amp that can hold a 12 inch with a little room to spare. Hmmmm...
Dave

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
I really like my Avatar 2x12 with celestion hellatone 60L's with it mainly...
I also have the Epiphone Cab to match to it...
For the price ($129.00) its a very well made cab and although darker sounding then the celestions I play it also.. just not as much..
out of the two.. the 2x12 still wins.. mainly brighter and louder...ofcourse!

Hey, don't forget..you now need to swap tubes from the stock ones to your flavor...
Eurotube will help you there..
May I also suggest the http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm Weber MicroMass to get that sound to computer without micing.. and to lower the volume !!
also for silent playing when needed thru computer/headphones... that 5 watts is loud man...
something about the weber micromass really did it for me and the Valve Junior.. everything a home player needs now.. well.. and a bunch of pedals..:)

just some suggestions...

Congrats!!
Liked the Phonecall idea to MusiciansFriends also... Might do the same in the next few days..

DaveO
July 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Nobody else has a cabinet suggestion?

Dave

iowa newbie
July 7th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I have the matching 12" cab and I'm pretty happy with it. I need to look at an attenuator or something though because those 5 watts are LOUD!!!

DaveO
July 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Loud is good. One of the benefits of living in the country. :D
I've been searching craigslist and ebay looking for something. Plenty out there but I don't need or even want a 4 X anything. Those Avatars look real nice. Always looking for a deal but it's going to suck big time when the head gets here and I have nothing to blast it through. :eek: :eek:
Dave

oldguy
July 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I have 2 different cabs I run mine through. Traynor 1x12 w/ a Celestion, or an Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestions. I have also ran it through an old 1x10 monitor cab from an old PA, and they all worked great. As long as you match the impedance to the speaker and head you should get a good sound. Some will just be better than others.

Justaguyin_nc
July 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
going to suck big time when the head gets here and I have nothing to blast it through. :eek: :eek:
Dave

Hmmm.maybe set it on top of that Cube 60 and chain into that speaker for a week or two....:)

Avatar...good... Epiphone...good..pull out the wallet... ;)

warren0728
July 7th, 2007, 05:09 PM
i saw the epi cab designed for the jr. head and it looked pretty good....have heard good things about the cab....comes with an eminence speaker and matches!

lopo line makes some pretty good cabs too...

ww

DaveO
July 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I think I am going ot build my own cabinet. Found a good Celestion 75 watt 8 ohm speaker on craigslist for $50. I have access to all the wood working equipment I could need. A nice wood cabinet would look good. :D
Dave