PDA

View Full Version : Fretters what strings do you choose

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
what strings do you pefer the most include gauge and stuff please for me earnie ball regular slinkys 10 gauge because thats the only string i cant break

stingx
July 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
D'Addario XL 10s on all my guitars with the exception being 9s on my RG1570.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
I've been using Rogue bulk strings from Musician's Friend for about 25 years with nary a complaint. They have them in their online catalog but they are difficult to find. They come 12 per gauge in a straight pack (they aren't coiled). The cost is around $2.80 per set. The gauges I use mimic the D'Addario 10-46 and 9-42 sets. Mostly I use the 10's. The 9's are for just a couple of select guitars.

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
I swear by Elixir Light Nanoweb Electric Guitar Strings (10-13-17-26-36-46) for any Tele or Strat.

For my Jazzmaster I use either Elixir Nanoweb Heavy Electric Guitar Strings (Gauges: 12-16-24-32-42-52)

If you use these AND spray them with a quick wipe of this spray I use (the name slips my mind at this time) before and after useage your stings can last months even under the hardest daily useage.

At least thats been the case for me... every other brand I've tried has been a letdown ever since I gave these a try.

Robert
July 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
I use 09 - 42 gauge, mostly because I like to bend a lot and my fingers are a bit weak. My pinky had tendonitis once and it still haunts me. The brand I choose is called "Whateva".

SuperSwede
July 4th, 2007, 02:27 AM
010-046, Fender Super 250´s at the moment.

abraxas
July 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
At the moment:

SIT 09-42
Vinci 09-46
GHS Boomers 10-46

Depending on the guitar.

I have ordered an adequate quantity of DR Blues strings, which are perhaps the best I've tried, and plan using them exclusively for a while. :D

Jimi75
July 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Dean Markley "Blue Steel" 0.10-0.46

They stay in tune perfectly and they last very long.

LagrangeCalvert
July 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
For my Strat: Darios 9.5's

For my Paul: Earnie Ball Skinny top Heavy Bottom.

Mark
July 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Was using DR nickels but recently have changed to Daddario XL for a try. 10's on all axes.

duhvoodooman
July 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
D'Addario EXL110's (10-13-17-26-36-46) on all my electrics.

abraxas
July 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
About the D'addarios:

Don't you guys think they are a bit stiff?

I find the DR and Ernie Ball as well as the SIT strings I've used much more "elastic" and easy... Is it my idea? I've heard that it has much to do with the core of the string, whether it is cylindrical or hexagonal. :confused:

duhvoodooman
July 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
About the D'addarios:

Don't you guys think they are a bit stiff?
Gee, I don't know. Guess I'd have to try them back to back to be able to feel a difference. I have a pretty good sized hand, and the 10's seem supple enough to me. The D'Addarios seem to keep their ring a pretty long time and I rarely break one, so I've stuck with them....

birv2
October 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I'm new here so was going to start a thread on strings. Did a search and found this thread.

I have used GHS Boomers for a year or so. Then I saw an ad for DR Blues nickel strings, featuring Hubert Sumlin. If Hubert says so, that's good enough for me!

I play blues almost exclusively. So I'm now using the DR Blues 11's, and I've got to say they're sounding better every day. Kind of the opposite of most other strings, where they sound great the first few days and a little blah afterwards.

They've got a real nice "snappy" feel, very sweet on clean tones.

Bob

Iago
October 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Daddario 010's. Actually I think they are quite elastic if compared to what I used on my earlier guitar years! I would try EBs, but they are a lot more expensive down here.

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (10s) on my 50s Strat, Tele and Gibson Les Paul all tuned Eb. DR Tite-Fit (10s) on both my Goldtop LP tuned to A440 and my 60s rosewood Strat also tuned A440.

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
D'Addario EXL110's (10-13-17-26-36-46) on all my electrics.

Ditto, and Martin Lights on my acoustic. I don't find the D'Addarios stiff to my awareness, but I am a bit of a hamfist. :pancake

Big_Rob
October 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
DR 10's on both my electrics

http://www.drstrings.com

tjcurtin1
October 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM
The brand I choose is called "Whateva".

The same response my professional guitar-playing friend gave when I asked him what strings he used! Hmmmm.... These guys must know something.... Perhaps at that playing level, touch and technique matter so much more than what the strings contribute to the sound?

It would seem that sound differences among strings are more subtle with electrics, and matters of playability are more noticeable. But I think it's a different matter with acoustics. I posted a thread a while ago about how surprised I have been (as a new player) by the change to sound that different strings make on my acoustic, (but didn't get any responses). My question at the time was, how do you account for the way strings can change an acoustic's sound when you are guitar shopping.

250Keith
October 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Right now I'm using Ernie Ball
Skinny Top
Heavy Bottom
The heavy bottom helped even the tone of my Guitar.
Keith.

tot_Ou_tard
October 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Snake Oil Strings

Vintage 10's on my Godin Radiator

Rock 9.5s on my Godin SD. I may move them up to Rock 10's.

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Good call ^^^^^^,I knew there was something about you!!!:messedup:

I use S.O.B.(both vintage original and rock sets) and Ernies Balls,(classic style all nickel)different gauges:AOK:

http://www.sobstrings.net/

pes_laul
October 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Snake Oil Strings

Vintage 10's on my Godin Radiator

Rock 9.5s on my Godin SD. I may move them up to Rock 10's.
I dont think I've ever hear of them? are they coated like elixars?

Radioboy950
October 31st, 2007, 04:40 PM
I’ve been using the D’addario XL (nickel) for many years. The .010’s or .009’s depending on the guitar. I have tried several others brands, but always found myself going back to the D’s for their brightness. The others just didn’t seem to “sing”.

Most offerings from Martin always sounded good on my acoustics.

pes_laul
November 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
now lately I've been playing DR tite fit 10's and they seem to sound pretty good

navvid
November 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
I would note that I am willing to sacrifice playability/ease of play, and even blood for tone, and I play tuned down a half step (E-flat standard). That being said, the last package of strings I bought for my Strat was a set of D'Addario XL nickel round wound 0.012-0.054. Then I replaced the 4th (0.032), 5th (0.042) and 6th (0.054) strings with 0.034, 0.044, and 0.056 gauge respectively. I know, I know, unless you have bear paws like SRV's (which I don't) thats pretty heavy, but they sound amazing and you just get stronger and tougher. On my acoustic I also play D'Addarios, standard phosphor bronze med set (0.013-0.056) also tuned down a half step usually.

Unfortunately, since no one makes a 0.012-0.056 nickel round wound set, I have to assemble my Strat's string sets myself. I am buying them in the individual gauges I need in packs of 5 or 10. The unwound gauges come in 10 packs, wound 5 to a package. I have tried a wide variety of strings, and I found D'Addario to sound the best to my ear, and last reasonably.

D'Addario manufactures string core (one of the only 2 or 3 core manufacturers in the world) and many other strings are actually D'Addario core in another name package. Often those who use their core will wind it themselves. But D'Addario manufactures their own strings, and it appears to me to show in the quality. I would note, though it is contrary to my prior praise, that the only truly defective string I have ever see was a D'A. It was a 0.054 that actually had a bulge in the winding.

I personally think the coated strings do not sound as good, so I don't care how long they last.

pes_laul
November 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah I played elixars for a while and I hated the way they sound (even know they lasted from last october)