PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez Artist AR30

Robert
July 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM
A guy here is selling an Ibanez Artist AR30. I have never heard of this model. He says it's old.

Anyone here knows anything about this guitar? He is asking two hundred bucks for it.

Spudman
July 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
If it has a bolt on neck 2 bills is about right. If it's a set neck it's made in Japan if it is indeed an older Artist. see this: http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/13/2255.html

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Holy cow, Robert, although it looks like the AR30 was the "budget" Artist model, in the year or so it was made, it appears to have neck-through (or maybe setneck) construction and was made in Japan. An early 80's MIJ Artist for 2 bills is a good deal I would think!

Here are a couple pages with pics of AR30's:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/14/16145.html?1145742912

http://www.ivc.ca/misc/artist/ar30.htm

If I needed a two-humbucker LP-type guitar I'd be all over that like white on rice, if the guitar had no major issues.

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Here's a few pics of other AR30's:

http://www.bolha.com/images/image/_46238b9f83148.jpg

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images/groups/Jorn%20Heltborg/100C1752.JPG

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images/groups/Jorn%20Heltborg/100C1757.JPG

sunvalleylaw
July 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hey, that's a cool looking axe! Anyone know if it sounds like a LP?

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hey, that's a cool looking axe! Anyone know if it sounds like a LP?

Generally speaking yes, the Ibanez Artist falls into the LP-type sound category, as they are mahogany maple-capped guitars with set or through-necks. A buddy of mine I've played in a couple different bands with over the years has had an old Artist forever:

http://a195.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_0035f8c02f9cf5b4554bd2dedaed84d2.jpg

Leonidas
July 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine has an artist from 1982 (or 83?) and it is all pearl white with a neck through.. that baby sings! Has all original everything and it really has a great sound. Solidly built too. All around a pretty fine guitar.

Bloozcat
July 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
The AR30, unlike most other AR's in the vintage Ibanez line has a solid Japanese ash body and no cap, Here's a spec sheet that I found that apparently came with an AR30:
http://www.geocities.com/ibzstar/mystery/solved.htm

Boots
July 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

First time poster. I am the owner of an 1983 AR30(BK), based on the serial dating she was created in January(A) of that year and the number indicates (this is where it's gets interesting/confusing to me) she was the 827th Guitar created that year....I think. I went to the site Bloozcat indicated (listed above) and it stated that there were only 630 created in Black that year. I have the Black model, but my original serial # indicates a higher number. For the vets of the forum, is it safe to assume that in 1983 each Guitar created no matter what Model were given the next consecutive number? Or does each Model have it's own unique serial numbering? I cannot overlook the fact that I own what could be 1 of 630 Guitars created, which is VERY nice.

Just looking for some clarification as to how it was done that year. Missing the bridge (it's been locked away for 24 years), but she's still beautiful. Those Super 70's are beautiful and age quite nicely, can't wait to play Her.

Thanks in advance for all replies.....

Bloozcat
July 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hello Everyone,

First time poster. I am the owner of an 1983 AR30(BK), based on the serial dating she was created in January(A) of that year and the number indicates (this is where it's gets interesting/confusing to me) she was the 827th Guitar created that year....I think. I went to the site Bloozcat indicated (listed above) and it stated that there were only 630 created in Black that year. I have the Black model, but my original serial # indicates a higher number. For the vets of the forum, is it safe to assume that in 1983 each Guitar created no matter what Model were given the next consecutive number? Or does each Model have it's own unique serial numbering? I cannot overlook the fact that I own what could be 1 of 630 Guitars created, which is VERY nice.

Just looking for some clarification as to how it was done that year. Missing the bridge (it's been locked away for 24 years), but she's still beautiful. Those Super 70's are beautiful and age quite nicely, can't wait to play Her.

Thanks in advance for all replies.....

I'm going to make some assumptions here, but they seem to make sense:

In 1982 Ibanez made 206 black AR30's. In 1983 they made 630 AR30's in black, for a total production run of 836 black guitars. If we can assume that Ibanez simply continued assigning consecutive serial numbers from 1982 through the end of production in 1983, then there were only nine more AR30's made after yours Boots (836 total). This is all speculation on my part, but given your guitars serial number, and the total production for the 14 months or so that they were made, it makes some sense.

Boots
July 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM
That seems to make sense. Instead of 1 of 630, it's actually 1 of 836........I'll still take those odds. I wonder if the other 835 are still around? Tks for the insight Bloozcat. Great guitar, great Site!!

ibanez_freak36
July 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
This is a reply to the post about the Ibanez Artist guitar. I had one about 12 yrs ago. They are heavy like a Les Paul thin neck, very comfortable to play. The sond is a little weaker unless you upgrade the pickups. Shape is rounded like a Paul and at the neck joint it has small carved horns like a gibson SG except curved the other way. If yo like the sond the wood is Birch or Ash good warm tone. 200 bucks is a little much as you can pick one up on EBAY for about 125 dollars and 30 to ship. Not to undercut the guy but unless it has custom hardware and a custom paintjob and case the 200 is a little much. Hope I didn't aggravate someone but that is it from me....sorry you asked if someone knew something about them. Bye for now............................................... ...The Freak:R

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I think if your serial number starts with 82 or 83 that is the year of manufacture. So Boots yours is actually a 1982 model.

I can double check this if you like since I stop in to the Ibanez US importers repair shop often. PM me the whole serial number.

Those early Japanese Ibanez guitars had the first two digits as the year of manufacture.

Bloozcat
July 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
That seems to make sense. Instead of 1 of 630, it's actually 1 of 836........I'll still take those odds. I wonder if the other 835 are still around? Tks for the insight Bloozcat. Great guitar, great Site!!

Where are my manners....:o

Welcome to the Fret, Boots. Great to have you aboard!

Boots
July 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Tks for the Welcome Bloozcat. Spudman, those were my EXACT thoughts. I figured it being the New Year, they may have just move the remaining 82' bodies into the new year. I guess in most cases, if your "create" date is in the beginning of the year, good chances your body is from the prior months of the presiding year?! Possibly in my case as well. Ser # A83XXXX,

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
That would have been made in January of 1983.

Boots
July 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hey Spudman, big thanks for that info, my apologies for the late reply, bit excited. This is just a post script on my new/old AR30............she's unbelievable :eek: . Where does one start? I've been bangin' on Strats for awhile, but there's magic in this thing, because I can't seem to get away from it. This is nuts, the Wifey wants play time, and I don't want to be bothered. Am I missing something here? Wife or Guitar? and the axe is winning hands down. I'm asking for vet help here, what am I to do? is this the worst case of Gas any of you guys have seen? Oh and it gets better. I put a set of EB's 10's on her (the Guitar :) ) and lucked up and found a decent bridge for it, not the one I wanted, but it serves the purpose, cleaned her up, plugged in my lil' practice amp, and at that moment it was if I was a young single gent again. Fellas I think I'm in Love again. Sweet, powerful, perfect neck (damn near plays itself), and so many variations of sound, I haven't figured all just yet, but I will. I've been in the mood for some old Frampton lately, and the guitar just fell into step with the whole vibe. For any AR30 owners out there, trust me when I say, I now understand.

One last thing, believe or not (maybe the Gods are please with me) just this weekend, I had another VERY nice strat AND a gibby fall into my lap! is this crazy or what? I believe wifey is in trouble.

Bloozcat
July 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Whoa there, Boots...

Does, "the Wifey wants play time", mean that your wife plays guitar too? Or does that mean she wants other types of "play time" with you? Be careful there, and remember that old saying; "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

You must bring balance to the Force, young Jedi...;)

Boots
July 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
^^^^^I hear ya Bloozcat. And yes it is the "other" play time. I guess when we took those vows, part of the acceptance was for better or worse. So I guess I'll have to be the "proper" Husband. You may have a point. The steak was awfully tough this weekend. I can only imagine what the higher end Ibanez must sound like, because this is a sweet little guitar.

"balance the force, balance the force, balance the force"..........