PDA

View Full Version : looking for an amp

fattony9156
July 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
My brother is looking to buy a tube amp, he's not sure what brand and model to go with. He's got around $400 to spend. He needs something thats dependable and that packs a lot of punch , mostly for playing rock. He was looking at a VOX but wasn't too sure. Any suggestions for a good amp?

abraxas
July 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM
My brother is looking to buy a tube amp, he's not sure what brand and model to go with. He's got around $400 to spend. He needs something thats dependable and that packs a lot of punch , mostly for playing rock. He was looking at a VOX but wasn't too sure. Any suggestions for a good amp?

What exactly are the needs? Live gigs? Recording? Jamming with friends?

Don't know prices in the US but that kind of money give you a lot of options, I believe. Esp. if he is going for a nice 2nd hand one.

fattony9156
July 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
just something to jam with

Spudman
July 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Your price range could get you into a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a used Peavey Classic 30. Both are tube amphs and both have good volume to get over a drummer.

GREENMACHINE
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hey Guys
Yeah I would probally go with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe ay.

Cheers
GREENMACHINE

Justaguyin_nc
October 1st, 2007, 05:41 AM
I think alot of guys around here got the Peavey Classic 30 and love them..
right in the price range used!

I just got fortunate and found a Reverend Hellhound in the same price range..
Very nice amp.. many sounds in an all tube!

Buying used can play on your nerves.. On E-Bay, just make sure the person you buy from has some good sales already in their profile..

Another choice...look up Craigslist for a local buy used, this way you can check it out before you get it..

Good luck in your search!

Bloozcat
October 1st, 2007, 06:12 AM
Here's a couple that would fit the bill:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

The first one is right at the $400.00 mark with one 12" speaker. The second one is $50.00 more, but it's a 2X12. If it was me buying, I'd spend the extra $50.00 and get the 2X12. Bigger, fuller sound, with more punch.

Lev
October 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Nice lookin amps Bloozcat, have you had a chance to test drive?

250Keith
October 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
I have tryed the 212 sounds good, and I also tryed the palomino, liked them both, the guy I know at the store said thay run hot? you mite want to look at the reveiws on Harmony central.

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Your price range could get you into a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a used Peavey Classic 30. Both are tube amphs and both have good volume to get over a drummer.

+1 on the Peavey Classic 30. Pretty darn versatile, (except for full metal), tube amph, and the price is right for a good used one. Takes pedals well. Plenty of volume. Listen to posts by StingX in member clips to get an idea of tones. I think he has some clips in the C-30 appreciation thread (I think there are two such threads, you might have to look at both via a search). :AOK:

Spudman brought his over so we could play around some during the weekend, and both sounded great (when he played them I mean. :) ).

Bloozcat
October 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Nice lookin amps Bloozcat, have you had a chance to test drive?

No, not yet. I do have a Crate VC 30, and a VC 20 that I like, so I thought this might be a good choice as well. 18 watts of class A tube power ought to be pretty good for a nice Marshall kind of tone. Should be plenty loud too, but not so much that you can't get a nice grind out of the amp at reasonable volumes.

I'm not sure what speakers Crate is using in this model. The VC 30 came with a Crate labeled Eminence GB 12, which is their Greenback clone. If these amps come with the same speaker(s), they should sound great. The GB 12 is one of Eminence's best, IMHO.

kiteman
October 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe this:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=VINTAGE16&CID=VINT

5 watts or 16 watts, should do the trick. :)

marnold
October 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
I always thought that Carvin looked very sweet for the price. Haven't investigated further, though.