PDA

View Full Version : Intonation question

tjcurtin1
July 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I recently had cause to wrestle with an intonation problem which got me to try two different approaches: one was the open string/12th fret comparison, the other 2nd fret/14th fret (suggested by Robert). I noticed that these methods gave quite different saddle positions and was wondering why that is so, and how the two approaches affect the issue of intonation.

abraxas
July 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I recently had cause to wrestle with an intonation problem which got me to try two different approaches: one was the open string/12th fret comparison, the other 2nd fret/14th fret (suggested by Robert). I noticed that these methods gave quite different saddle positions and was wondering why that is so, and how the two approaches affect the issue of intonation.

It's quite simple really. The guitar's intonation can never be precise. By construction there are bound to be irregularities up the neck, that is the way most players use a "tempered" tuning, mostly by ear.

Apart from that: What kind of tuner did you use? Also are you sure you applied an even pressure to the frets and used the same picking technique? Even a small difference goes a long way! Finally you must be sure you have a properly cut nut and fairly well dressed/polished frets.

Hope this helps. :)

ShortBuSX
July 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Thats because your action is too high and/or your truss rod needs a slight adjustment.

I tune the open strings, then the 12th and then I find E on each string and make sure thats tuned too...and then do it all over again.

Its a waste of time to intonate old strings and when the intonation goes out its a good indication its time for new strings....so just making sure you were aware before going through all this trouble.

tjcurtin1
July 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
You guys were spot on! The original problem had to do with the fact that I had replaced the original nut when I put on new strings (this is one of those fabled Fullerton strats), and though the nuts seemed the same size, after much headache I realized that there was a .5mm difference causing the problems...

It's pretty well intonated now (I used a tuner built into a modeling pedal and a separate Qwicktune chromatic tuner, which agreed with each other), but I'll wait till the next string change to run the check again. Thanks for the help.

Robert
July 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Good you got it worked out, Ted! Now go and post an introduction in the Fret Players forum, pleaze! :)

tot_Ou_tard
July 6th, 2007, 05:19 AM

I use 5th/17th when intonating, basically to get away from the nut. I learned this somewhere, but I forget where.

Jimi75
July 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM
For the future this may be interesting for you. Also if you have your guitar set up perfectly.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2196

It's something about the tempered tuning system. Pretty easy, but useful.

Greetz
Jimi