PDA

View Full Version : line 6 spider III

pes_laul
July 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Has anyone played through a line 6 75 or higher if so how do they play i got a spider 15

333maxwell
July 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Has anyone played through a line 6 75 or higher if so how do they play i got a spider 15

I am of the 'opinion' that the Line 6 and other modeling amps, sound fine, and are great fun, until you get them in a 'live situation' with other musicians, where they usualy fall flat on their face.

Instead of an amp that promises to 'recreate' many tones of many amps closely in certain circumstances, that it is better to get ONE REAL amp that is not designed to 'counterfeit' anything.

Spudman
July 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I am of the 'opinion' that the Line 6 and other modeling amps, sound fine, and are great fun, until you get them in a 'live situation' with other musicians, where they usualy fall flat on their face.

Instead of an amp that promises to 'recreate' many tones of many amps closely in certain circumstances, that it is better to get ONE REAL amp that is not designed to 'counterfeit' anything.

+1:)

DaveO
July 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I bought one of the 75 watt amps when the Spider 3's came out. Just my opinion but 400 presets and I didn't like any of them. Returned it in 3 days.
Dave

LagrangeCalvert
July 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Quality > Quantity for gear.........

This amp is good for home where you want to experiment with different sounds but if you take this out to a live show...and your not doing an eclectic mix of covers over at least 5 styles of music....then your better off buying something with tone...rather than emulating real tone.

Now....this is also a renaissance - if I may call it that - of tone. Everything old is new again...and I guess people have came the the realization that tone cannot be emulated...but only created.

My point here is not moot here either; Unless you will never have the money to buy a good tube amp and a variety of stomp boxes these amps IMO and many other peoples opinions as well, will always be inferior to their glowing glass brethren.

Josh.

Sblack
July 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I owned and played a Line 6 Spider II 75 112 and Spider III 75 112 for a while. They were decent amps that I could coax decent rehearsal/practice tone from. Live they got brittle sounding and did not cut through enough. However, once I bought my Palomino V16, things changed. I could not stomach listening to the Line 6 anymore. A good tube amp made me an addict for the responsiveness and live touch of tube tone, and anything from the old Line 6 just sounded bland and flat in comparison.

The difference in tone is one of those things that you have to witness first hand. Words can't describe the wilted weeds of tone from the Line 6 compared to the bloom of sprightly-colored flowers coming from the V16. Only your ears can see (hear) that. ;)

stingx
July 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I only like the PodXTs and that's just for ease/convenience of recording. I don't particularly enjoy the sounds of any modeling amps. I'll take my cheap, modified Peavey C30 paired with my JV over any modeling amp. One really good tone beats a boatload of mediocre ones every time!

TS808
July 26th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have no experience with the Spider III so I can't comment on it. I can say however, that I owned a Line 6 Flextone III, and a Line 6 Duoverb and found both to be excellent amps, especially the Duoverb.

If you want a modeling amp, I would suggest looking for a used Vox AD60VTX or Duoverb Head, and buy a good cabinet to run them through.

What I like about modeling amps is the versatility you can get from them. Remember, they aren't tube amps and were created to emulate a tube amp, so I think it's unfair to compare the two.

You can get some pretty good tone and volume from some of the better modelers out there.

stingx
July 27th, 2007, 06:18 AM
TS808, the DuoVerb is the exception to the rule. I have no idea why Line6 discontinued this model but it was by far their best sounding amp IMHO. I am a big fan of Line6. I have owned by XT since late '03 and it has made recording so much easier for me. I have never been impressed by their amps, save the Duo. Always found the Spider I, II, IIIs especially harsh and processed sounding. Wanted to buy a Flextone to make use of my shortboard and just couldn't like it no matter how hard I tried. One modeling amp that did sound amazing to me was my friend's Vox AD60VTX. That was just killer. It still had it limitations though but easily kicked the shit out of the Flextone and Spider.

TS808
July 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM
TS808, the DuoVerb is the exception to the rule. I have no idea why Line6 discontinued this model but it was by far their best sounding amp IMHO.

I agree, the Duoverb was awesome. The only reason I sold mine was because it was so darn loud for home use. It didn't attract alot of buyers due to the fact that it didn't have all the bells and whistles of a Flextone or Vetta.

I have owned a Flextone III and thought it was pretty good, but it was missing something....it didn't have that tube "feel". I still own a POD XT and think that is great for recording.

I jumped over to Vox now. I have the AD60VTH (head version) and an AD50VT 212 and they have a more tube-like feel as well as better tone.

I did see that Line 6 is coming out with a digital/tube amp. It's on another message board regarding the details, but apparently it's going to include tubes in the preamp AND power amp as well as digital modeling. Supposedly, Line 6 teamed up with Reinhold Bogner for this amp.

SuperSwede
July 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM
The Line 6 Vetta II sounds amazing to my ear. I dont think that you can compare a low cost emulation amp such as the Spider III with a full blown tube amp. The more high end emulation amps does a great job of reproducing classic tube tones for all guitarists that cannot lug around a bunch of classic tube amps (or afford them for that matter). Sure, a tube amp will probably sound much better but for versatibility you cannot beat a good modeler. For home recording, I would dare to say that a PodXT/Tonelab/Sansamp GT2 works better. You have to invest a lot in your recording rooms acoustic, buy one or more expensive mics & recording gear to compete with the sound you get from a simple USB cable connected to a PodXT.

pes_laul
July 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
i personaly love the sounds i get out of my spider 15 but i dont use the presets i make my own sounds with it but the thing is ive only played through a line 6 spider 15 and a 75 once and a washburn bad dog 15 watt and a gallien and kruger amp and so far i like the spider i wouldnt play good live though but the only time ill ever play live is maybe at the school talent show

pes_laul
July 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
The Line 6 Vetta II sounds amazing to my ear. I dont think that you can compare a low cost emulation amp such as the Spider III with a full blown tube amp. The more high end emulation amps does a great job of reproducing classic tube tones for all guitarists that cannot lug around a bunch of classic tube amps (or afford them for that matter). Sure, a tube amp will probably sound much better but for versatibility you cannot beat a good modeler. For home recording, I would dare to say that a PodXT/Tonelab/Sansamp GT2 works better. You have to invest a lot in your recording rooms acoustic, buy one or more expensive mics & recording gear to compete with the sound you get from a simple USB cable connected to a PodXT.
but the thing is im only 13 and where i live i cant really get a job and cant afford higher end amps thats why i saved for 5 months or so and got the spider

SuperSwede
July 29th, 2007, 01:08 AM
but the thing is im only 13 and where i live i cant really get a job and cant afford higher end amps thats why i saved for 5 months or so and got the spider

You did good! Line 6 emulation will take you a long way towards finding "your own" sound. Congrats :)

TS808
July 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM

The important thing is how the amp sounds to YOU ;) I've heard many guitarists sound GREAT through a small Crate or Peavey solid-state practice amp, and have heard many guitarists sound absolutely awful through a high-end tube amp.

To get good tone, take into account that it's more than just the amp. It's not only the amp, but the guitar, the pickups, the strings, and even the pick. Probably the most important factor though is the PLAYER. Great tone also comes through the fingers. ;)