PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new Hard Drive - BIGGIE SIZE!

Robert
July 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
An external drive @ 500 GB - yessir! I am formatting right now, which takes forever since it's so freaking huge.

Now I can finally unload a bunch of video tapes in DV-AVI format (the highest, uncompressed format). :D

It is a Seagate Barracuda. It came with the enclosure and hard drive separate, so you have to put it together yourself.

These things are getting cheaper by the minute. I got this one for $159.99.

Justaguyin_nc
July 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Congrats..you'll love it.. I've had one.. they work pretty good!! always check pricewatch.com.. you would be suprised how cheap some things get...

http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_drives/usb_500gb.htm

Spudman
July 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Holy cow that's huge!
Sounds like a good drive to store your original recordings on (hint).;)

pie_man_25
July 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
An external drive @ 500 GB - yessir! I am formatting right now, which takes forever since it's so freaking huge.

Now I can finally unload a bunch of video tapes in DV-AVI format (the highest, uncompressed format). :D

It is a Seagate Barracuda. It came with the enclosure and hard drive separate, so you have to put it together yourself.

umm.. yeah, my uncle sells hard drives that can be as big as 2 terrabytes!
(each terrabyte is 1024 GB).
so when you say big, compared to my PCs it's huge, but I do know how huge they get.

ps. depending on the speed of the HD the formatting shouldn't be too long, plus, did it come with a heat sink? that's one way to know if it's fast or not.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Costco (west coast wholesale club store) seems to have Seagates, LaCies, Western Digitals and Maxtors in around that size for 160 to 185 or so. Which one depends on what is in stock that day. In store prices seem to be better than their online prices. Is that a pretty good deal? They tend to take things back if they go wrong, so to me that is reassuring. I got a Maxtor 300GB for 129 or so (I think) a few months back and have been happy with it to back up work stuff. I need another one now to back up more music and movies, etc.

ted s
July 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Anyone have any experience with externals that connect via IP rather than USB or firewire ?

Justaguyin_nc
July 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM
did it come with a heat sink? that's one way to know if it's fast or not.

They are actually the same drives you put internally... they been putting and advertising with heatsink for silent running... which..I guess is working... instead of adding a fan to the external case they just heatsink them now..

hmmm 2 terabit blues.. sounds like a good title to your new recording your going to add to that drive rob.. look forward to it..:)

Robert
July 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Mine has a fan. I got it from www.tigerdirect.com.

It's just a basic ATA drive, but it does have Firewire, which I like. My old PC only has USB 1.1.

pie_man_25
July 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with externals that connect via IP rather than USB or firewire ?
I've seen businesses use them through IP, they'd have the servers do backups on it. I've also seen people use tape drives as well, but nowadays the tapes only last a day and they're pretty expensive so they aren't very popular.

pie_man_25
July 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM
They are actually the same drives you put internally... they been putting and advertising with heatsink for silent running... which..I guess is working... instead of adding a fan to the external case they just heatsink them now..

hmmm 2 terabit blues.. sounds like a good title to your new recording your going to add to that drive rob.. look forward to it..:)

I meant a heat sink and a fan, if the hard drive is very fast, it would need a fan and heat sink to cool it down fast or the performance would be impared and therefore waste precious money. I just put a heat sink and fan on my dos box last week, unfortunately, the twenty year-old hard drive and floppy drive died so I'm gonna need to replace the floppy. Until then, I won't be able to play AAOW, my favourite old DOS game.

ted s
July 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I was in our local Costco yesterday, they had terrabyte externals via ethernet for about $360.

Robert
May 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
This thing broke today... :( so I need a new external hard drive. Any suggestions?

Spudman
May 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Western Digital - no busted veins there.:D

Justaguyin_nc
May 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes..
I think the seagates might out perform the Western Digitals..but I doubt that they will ever out live them..

here is a couple good links for price considering...

1st a refurb...complete 500 external usb2 for 89 bucks

http://www.grassrootscomputers.com/Western_Digital_500GB_7200RPM_USB/WDH1U5000N-R6MO/partinfo-id-349072.html

then a list of lowest priced 500 gigs to replace yours...
http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?s=500+ata&group1=2&sci=26&c=Hard+%2F+Removable+Drives

I like Western Digitals..
:AOK:

Robert
May 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Shipping to Canada is expensive with most of these places! :mad:

player
May 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM

check here boss.http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Type=&year=&month=&location=&keyword=&SearchText=external+hard+drives&Country=CA&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=7
about the 6th one down appears to be the ticket.

Kazz
May 21st, 2008, 03:51 AM
We have 3 external drives in the house and an extra kit for when I do data recovery work for customers. 2 firewire and one usb2 and I would not be without them.

sunvalleylaw
May 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM

They don't have something like a Costco up your way? Prices are very good, in store purchase so no shipping, and their return policy is excellent. They carry Western Digital biggies.

Robert
May 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hmm, Steve I think we do, actually. In Edmonton. Never thought about that. I will check!

sunvalleylaw
May 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
I just looked at their online stuff, and they have a Western Digital 500GB for $129.99 US on the US site, and a WD - 1TB for $229. In store availability is different some times, but that seems pretty typical of what I have been seeing around here. May not be the most rock bottom price (don't know, haven't looked), but you avoid shipping, and they have a good return policy.

Justaguyin_nc
June 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
1st a refurb...complete 500 external usb2 for 89 bucks

http://www.grassrootscomputers.com/Western_Digital_500GB_7200RPM_USB/WDH1U5000N-R6MO/partinfo-id-349072.html
:AOK:

After looking in the 500gig range..I thought this refurb to be a good deal.. so I got one.
Nice looking case.. purrrdy blue light..and it works..
it did come with MAC and Windows XP Backup software already on it..
free added bonus.. kinda..
ofcourse I got Vista so this software did not work for auto backup...
Least not for me.. Vendor error or user error..not Windows..
I was not looking for that anyways.. formated in FAt32 I changed it to NTFS
as a drive on USB port it works fine...even under Vista..:)
Well worth the 90 bucks for a USB 2.0 drive setup.. least so far..
will let ya know when it goes BOOM if ever..

Robert
July 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Well, I sent my 500 gig Seagate back and just got it back repaired. I'm good to go!

The only annoying thing is the fan on this external disk enclosure makes a lot of noise. Can I get any kind of enclosure for this thing? I hate this whirring, whining fan noise, and I don't seem to be able get it to shut up (unless I throw the thing hard at the wall).

duhvoodooman
July 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
....(unless I throw the thing hard at the wall).
Is that why it was out for repair?? :eek: :nono: ;)

Spudman
July 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM
My Seagate external is a bit noisy but not real bad. When it's on I think I have water running somewhere in the house. Maybe you got one with a bad fan?

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Oh Robert, that'll get filled in no time :thwap:

:rotflmao:

Robert
July 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Well I thought it was big when I got it last year. I guess 500 GB isn't so big anymore... :)

The fan on the external enclosure is junky - wonder if I can get a new one somewhere.

Hmm, yeah, DVM, maybe that's why it broke - those holes in the wall are starting tell me something.... ;)

Tibernius
July 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
The fan on the external enclosure is junky - wonder if I can get a new one somewhere.

You should be able to. What size is it?
I'm building a new PC at the moment so I've seen loads of websites that sell them.

stingx
July 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
You should be able to. What size is it?
I'm building a new PC at the moment so I've seen loads of websites that sell them.

There are plenty of them - USB2 / Firewire / COMBO. You'd prolly want the firewire since you have a Mac. Check out http://newegg.com and http://tigertdirect.com