PDA

View Full Version : Newest song from my peanut gallery

333maxwell
July 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Ok.. be gentle..

It's my first experiment using the 'mixer' (novel idea.. I know)

Until now I have invidiualy recorded wavs, then mixed them together and the biggest controls I have had is being able to increase or decrease each tracks db level by 3 db's.

Well, turns out this way is a lot more efficient, not that the end results are noticibly much different..

Thanks for the ear..

The song is 'To You'

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=676362

333maxwell
July 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I guess it is safe to assume, that from the amount of listens, and not one reply, that the song sucks..

Thats the problem I find.. one gets so involved with a song, they themselves become tone deaf to it..

Well, back to the ol drawing board.. thanks to those who did give it a listen, and were kind enough not to thrash me over it!

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think that at all. I rather like it, esp. the base instrumentals. I just hadn't got to listening to it til now. The vocals are a bit echoey for my taste, and the lead solo a little too. Made the solo sound a little distant. The song is nice though. Please take that as it was intended, helpful comments from one who can't do what you did yet.

Justaguyin_nc
July 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Pretty neat actually...would agree with the to much echo on the voice... but in a way... it reminds me of "The Beatles"... enjoyed the lead riff at the beginning too.. and then the build at around 2:00... thought it all was pretty good..

Heck, I would be happy to do half as good..!

333maxwell
July 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think that at all. I rather like it, esp. the base instrumentals. I just hadn't got to listening to it til now. The vocals are a bit echoey for my taste, and the lead solo a little too. Made the solo sound a little distant. The song is nice though. Please take that as it was intended, helpful comments from one who can't do what you did yet.

Thanks for taking the time to feedback!

Likely what you here is not reverb (aside from teh doubling on the vocals) but a strange anomaly I get when I convert wav to mp3 and then upload them to soundclick.. if you listen to a few of my other songs like Junkyard Blues or After Hours, they all have this strange swishing swirling ambinet thing I can't get rid of..

Perplexing and frustrating..

thanks again!!

333maxwell
July 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pretty neat actually...would agree with the to much echo on the voice... but in a way... it reminds me of "The Beatles"... enjoyed the lead riff at the beginning too.. and then the build at around 2:00... thought it all was pretty good..

Heck, I would be happy to do half as good..!

You are very kind, thanks..

I was just going in to take it down.. guess I will leave it on a bit longer and see if it passes the mustre.. after hearing them so many times I never know if they suck or not.

thanks for your time!

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time to feedback!

Likely what you here is not reverb (aside from teh doubling on the vocals) but a strange anomaly I get when I convert wav to mp3 and then upload them to soundclick.. if you listen to a few of my other songs like Junkyard Blues or After Hours, they all have this strange swishing swirling ambinet thing I can't get rid of..

Perplexing and frustrating..

thanks again!!

Oh ok, I get it on the swishing. I listened to Junkyard also to compare and noticed a little of the same thing. I think I would turn down the doubling on the vocal just a bit as well. But I agree with Justa, I was reminded of A Beatle: John. :)

333maxwell
July 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Oh ok, I get it on the swishing. I listened to Junkyard also to compare and noticed a little of the same thing. I think I would turn down the doubling on the vocal just a bit as well. But I agree with Justa, I was reminded of A Beatle: John. :)

No shame in Beatles comparisons..

Heck...

They once had me outnumbered 4 to 1.. now it is down to 2 to 1..

Not that I wish anything bad on Ringo!!

Thanks for the ear.. I do enjoy the feedback so!

333maxwell
July 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the support everyone who listened.. as a result the song went to #7 in the pop category, which is a tough one to climb up in..

All downhill from here, but thanks to those who took the time to have a listen!

Pickngrin
July 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Nice job on the track! I also hear some Lennon influence. What is involved in doing "VST horns"?

333maxwell
July 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Nice job on the track! I also hear some Lennon influence. What is involved in doing "VST horns"?

VST horns means I used a VST host program, to use a VST program that allows me to transfer midi files that I create, into 'samples' or 'patches' of various 'soft synth' (Software synthesizers).

There are FREEE VST host programs (The program that lets you utilize the 'stuff') available on the net, and there are a million samples to be found all over the net, or you could create your own samples and trigger them..

____

In My case for Spy music, VST Horns means I used a 'sampler' device to trigger 'single horn hits' ..

Much like a SOUND FONT?? If you are familiar with soundfonts, then you get VST instruments..

Pickngrin
July 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM
VST horns means I used a VST host program, to use a VST program that allows me to transfer midi files that I create, into 'samples' or 'patches' of various 'soft synth' (Software synthesizers).

There are FREEE VST host programs (The program that lets you utilize the 'stuff') available on the net, and there are a million samples to be found all over the net, or you could create your own samples and trigger them..

In My case for Spy music, VST Horns means I used a 'sampler' device to trigger 'single horn hits' ..

Much like a SOUND FONT?? If you are familiar with soundfonts, then you get VST instruments..

I'm not familiar with sound fonts (other than having heard the term before). I had heard of VSTs before, but didn't really know what they were. Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer...
thanks for the info

333maxwell
July 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'm not familiar with sound fonts (other than having heard the term before). I had heard of VSTs before, but didn't really know what they were. Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer...
thanks for the info

"Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer..."

Well.. not really.. counter impressive actualy *G*..

I had been 'mixing' per sey, but only by taking each individual track, making them wav, and then 'incorporating' them..

It served my purpose well enough until revently when I have tried to do a bit more.. hence the virtual 'mixer'..

No stranger to real HARDWARE mixers, but I have never used a 'software' one before.. and my machine resources are bad enough that I can't do any actual 'real time' fading of volume increases (I have to DRAW) them instead.. because the knobs move, but the sound doesn't represent those movements until I play back.. in other words I have no clue how much I turn something down or up until I play it back.

As for VST, well I had no clue they even existed until a few months ago..

It is MORE than just 'instruments' it is also FX and room simulotors etc.. pretty exciting stuff.. I can't believe they were right in front of me all the time, and I had no clue about them.

Being a bit of a keyboard player I had used 'Fonts' for several years.. but VST is a WHOLE other world..

Like I say (and when I get more time if you are interested I can get you links).. one can get a FREE host (vst program) off the net, and there are literally THOUSANDS of free FX and Instruments and samplers available all over the web.. they are not of the 'quality' of the 'real thing'.. but for free they are DELIGHTFUL for the budget hobbiest.. they could be the last free, fun and useful frontier on the net left standing..

All one needs is a Midi Keyboard (I use a childs toy I got at Wallmart) .. it will have midi in and out on the back.. then one needs a midi to USB (or com port) cord.. available at most any music store..

With the keyboard and the cord and the free VST stuff, a guy could be composing small symphonys if he had the time and inclination..

As I get time I will come up with some links for you.. you sound curious, and if you are like me you will be AMAZED you had no clue about them, and a mini expert a few days later.

Cheers!

Pickngrin
July 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM
"Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer..."

Well.. not really.. counter impressive actualy *G*..

I had been 'mixing' per sey, but only by taking each individual track, making them wav, and then 'incorporating' them..

It served my purpose well enough until revently when I have tried to do a bit more.. hence the virtual 'mixer'..

No stranger to real HARDWARE mixers, but I have never used a 'software' one before.. and my machine resources are bad enough that I can't do any actual 'real time' fading of volume increases (I have to DRAW) them instead.. because the knobs move, but the sound doesn't represent those movements until I play back.. in other words I have no clue how much I turn something down or up until I play it back.

As for VST, well I had no clue they even existed until a few months ago..

It is MORE than just 'instruments' it is also FX and room simulotors etc.. pretty exciting stuff.. I can't believe they were right in front of me all the time, and I had no clue about them.

Being a bit of a keyboard player I had used 'Fonts' for several years.. but VST is a WHOLE other world..

Like I say (and when I get more time if you are interested I can get you links).. one can get a FREE host (vst program) off the net, and there are literally THOUSANDS of free FX and Instruments and samplers available all over the web.. they are not of the 'quality' of the 'real thing'.. but for free they are DELIGHTFUL for the budget hobbiest.. they could be the last free, fun and useful frontier on the net left standing..

All one needs is a Midi Keyboard (I use a childs toy I got at Wallmart) .. it will have midi in and out on the back.. then one needs a midi to USB (or com port) cord.. available at most any music store..

With the keyboard and the cord and the free VST stuff, a guy could be composing small symphonys if he had the time and inclination..

As I get time I will come up with some links for you.. you sound curious, and if you are like me you will be AMAZED you had no clue about them, and a mini expert a few days later.

Cheers!

Very cool, thanks so much for the information...
I don't have a MIDI controller or keyboard, nor do I play keyboard, but I'd like to be able to mess around with some of the synthesized instruments. I could keep my eyes open for a cheap keyboard.

zeusse
July 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Its a great song and I wish I could sing half as good as that...on the swirling it could be a soundcard issue especially with the latency issue, what sound card do you have?

333maxwell
July 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Its a great song and I wish I could sing half as good as that...on the swirling it could be a soundcard issue especially with the latency issue, what sound card do you have?

thanks for the response..

As for soundcards, don't laugh..

I use one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540 into my laptop.

The 'swirling' that seems to dominate all my MP3's DO NOT exist on the mixed 'wav' I 'convert to MP3.. once I convert it to MP3 (I have tried converting them using 3 different programs, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Magix 11 and Sony Music studio..

Both Magix and Sony make a much larger MP3 file size than cakewalk, yet cakewalks sound just a tad less swirly.

then when I upload them to Soundclick,t he swirly sounds like it met a flushing toilet.

It is really frustrating me because the first few songs I did didn't have this issue.. and using the same exact gear and methods, it just seems to be getting worse.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would be DELIGHTED for any feedback from you or anyone else who has experienced this kind of anomaly.

It's kind of a drag.. I spend enough time trying to get them right,.. and while I am green I know enough to get a decent enough mix.. and then people just assume I dropped the ball and put a toilet flusing sound on top of everything with intent..

On some songs like "after Hours' It makes the vocals almost hurt, and the sibilance is horrible, where as on the wav there WAS NONE.

ACK!

Any ideas would be much appreciated.. I am real new to this home recording on a PC stuff.

zeusse
July 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
you may want to upgrade your soundcard it makes all the difference in the world I use this one http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065 since getting this baby all my swirling issues went away the usb interface I can't see as the issue it just relays signal but the soundcard does the processing so I'd look at that issue. When you compress the wav. file to mp3 format especially around 160 or higher a lower grade soundcard will have latency issues....just my 1.5cents worth...LOL

333maxwell
July 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM
you may want to upgrade your soundcard it makes all the difference in the world I use this one http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065 since getting this baby all my swirling issues went away the usb interface I can't see as the issue it just relays signal but the soundcard does the processing so I'd look at that issue. When you compress the wav. file to mp3 format especially around 160 or higher a lower grade soundcard will have latency issues....just my 1.5cents worth...LOL

Did you have 'swirling' issues too????????????????

As for the soundblaster youo linked to, again I am on the go with a portable laptop..

And while I thought I could convert to MP3 even with the soundcard unplugged.. you may just be on to something, as I STARTED HAVING THE PROBLEM when I quit using the stock laptop soundcard, and got the USB one..

On the other side, the USB card got rid of all the clicks and pops and severe latency issues I was having with the 'recording' end..

Dang man.. I am gonna try mixing the MP3 with the stadanrd laptop card I was using when I wasn't having this problem..

You could very well be on to the right direction..

I'll try some this afternoon and get back with you and tell you how it works out for me.. if it seems to make a difference I suppose I could transport the song to my wifes Tower as she has a very nice one, and then burn MP3 from there..

Crossing the fingers.. if it works you will be the first to know..

Thanks bud!

zeusse
July 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Your welcome even when using recording and mixing software a substandard soundcard can kill a recording I'll have to look and see if I can find an old post somewhere around the net when I had my old soundcard and then the difference with this one its like night and day...cheers

Eric

Mark
July 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Go to my link below and do some reading great info for all types of setups for home recording. Your clip is really cool it has lots of dynamic, and flavors to it, not my personal cup of tea stylewise, so I thought, but I could not turn it off cause it was so cool I wanted to see where you went with each change. My compliments! You hooked me! You have good potential judging from what you produce with your given setup. Get an EMU or other good converter and youll be golden. Read up at tweakheads its a fantastic resource http://www.tweakheadz.com/index.html

Spudman
July 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
I simply haven't had much time to listen so that is why I have taken my time in checking out this thread, now I'm glad that I did check it out.

With "the grace of a dancer" you aptly capture John Lennon and Jeff Lynne. Very good.
Keep up the good work. It sounds like you put a lot of heart into this and that is one ingredient that makes great music. (clap, clap, clap):)

Justaguyin_nc
July 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
The 'swirling' that seems to dominate all my MP3's DO NOT exist on the mixed 'wav' I 'convert to MP3.. once I convert it to MP3 (I have tried converting them using 3 different programs, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Magix 11 and Sony Music studio..

Both Magix and Sony make a much larger MP3 file size than cakewalk, yet cakewalks sound just a tad less swirly.

then when I upload them to Soundclick,t he swirly sounds like it met a flushing toilet.

I would think (scary), if the WAV has no swirly when recorded..its not the hardware... Have you listened to the MP3's locally before uploading? do they sound clear till you actually upload to soundclick? it may just be the settings in the MP3 conversion or soundclick itself.. have you tried uploading to another site? such as box.net?

Just some thoughts.. I did a few at soundclick and noticed the Low-Fi compared to the High-fi did make the sound different..drag..etc.. why? I havent a clue.. just some thoughts.

333maxwell
July 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Your welcome even when using recording and mixing software a substandard soundcard can kill a recording I'll have to look and see if I can find an old post somewhere around the net when I had my old soundcard and then the difference with this one its like night and day...cheers

Eric

I haven't had the chance yet (exceptionaly busy the last week) to work it completly, but I did try a re-mix using my soundcards original soundcads, and it SEEMS to eliminate much (but not all) of the swirly, but now I am back to click and pop..

So I think your suggestion of soundcard issues may very well be the ticket..

Soooo.. now I will need to figure that out, but thanks to your suggestion I could very well be on the right track.

Appreciate the heads up!

I really really do.. it was getting very frustrating.

333maxwell
July 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Go to my link below and do some reading great info for all types of setups for home recording. Your clip is really cool it has lots of dynamic, and flavors to it, not my personal cup of tea stylewise, so I thought, but I could not turn it off cause it was so cool I wanted to see where you went with each change. My compliments! You hooked me! You have good potential judging from what you produce with your given setup. Get an EMU or other good converter and youll be golden. Read up at tweakheads its a fantastic resource http://www.tweakheadz.com/index.html

I'm at tweakheadz as we speak.,. there is going to be a lot to read.. thanks for the resource and the feedback..

Very nice of you to take your time to help me try to figure this out!

333maxwell
July 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I simply haven't had much time to listen so that is why I have taken my time in checking out this thread, now I'm glad that I did check it out.

With "the grace of a dancer" you aptly capture John Lennon and Jeff Lynne. Very good.
Keep up the good work. It sounds like you put a lot of heart into this and that is one ingredient that makes great music. (clap, clap, clap):)

Jeff Lynne.. now THERE is an influence no one has mentioned yet.. I always liked that guy.. he is also a great producer... not to mention anyone who has worked with intent with Roy Orbison is a class act in my book.

Thanks for the feedback!

333maxwell
July 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I would think (scary), if the WAV has no swirly when recorded..its not the hardware... Have you listened to the MP3's locally before uploading? do they sound clear till you actually upload to soundclick? it may just be the settings in the MP3 conversion or soundclick itself.. have you tried uploading to another site? such as box.net?

Just some thoughts.. I did a few at soundclick and noticed the Low-Fi compared to the High-fi did make the sound different..drag..etc.. why? I havent a clue.. just some thoughts.

I THINK I have been set on the right track with the whole soundcard issue..

WHile tohey DO seem to get a tad more swirly once loaded and re-encoded at SOundclick, they start out a bit swirly after turning them to MP3.

like I say I kept trying different softwares to encode, but the whole hardware issue went right over my head.

thanks for the feedback buddy, I am gonna figure this one out yet.. *G*

jpfeifer
August 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Hi 333Maxwell,

Great! I really like this tune. Most of all I like your production ideas. I really love that doubled vocal with delay. I reminds me of the way John Lennon recoreded his vocals - I'm a sucker for Beatle sounds -- way to go -- you got me!! The synth pad sounds are also very nice for this song.

Very nice tune. Good for you for writing your own tunes, producing them and geting them out there!

-- Jim

FrankAxtell
August 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
This is really well written tune...just sitting here having my morning coffee and diggin' everything about this tune...lyrics, production...and guitar tone...very cool! a big thumbs up!

Pickngrin
August 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Ahhh yeah, Jeff Lynne... definitely hear that but didn't make the connection last time I listened to the track. Again, well done!

333maxwell
August 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Hi 333Maxwell,

Great! I really like this tune. Most of all I like your production ideas. I really love that doubled vocal with delay. I reminds me of the way John Lennon recoreded his vocals - I'm a sucker for Beatle sounds -- way to go -- you got me!! The synth pad sounds are also very nice for this song.

Very nice tune. Good for you for writing your own tunes, producing them and geting them out there!

-- Jim

Your very nice..

I am trying the best I can with the resources I have..

To save time I think I should of taken the 'loop' route instead of this silly 'playing stuff' thing.., *G*

Appreciate the kind words.

333maxwell
August 7th, 2007, 05:48 AM
This is really well written tune...just sitting here having my morning coffee and diggin' everything about this tune...lyrics, production...and guitar tone...very cool! a big thumbs up!

Frank.. I appreciate the feedback..

now if I can just channel it into an even better tune (doing voodoo ritual)...

Really.. thanks for the ear!

333maxwell
August 7th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Ahhh yeah, Jeff Lynne... definitely hear that but didn't make the connection last time I listened to the track. Again, well done!

Thanks.. Lynne is certainly amongst the cross section of musicians I have no shame in being somewhat influenced by!

I wonder if he is doing anything these days..

stingx
August 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
You shouldn't make the assumption that your music sucks because of delay in responses. Most forums aren't real time and real life takes precedence :)

Triple 3 I gave this a spin while having my breakfast sitting at my desk at work (on my fourth listen whilst typing this). First off, I am very impressed with the quality of this recording. It sounds fantastic - quite like a commercially available product. The instruments all sit well in the mix. The vocals sound very much akin to Lennon's. I believe the vocals are what really shines on this mix - that and the guitar playing. I didn't read through all the users comments but I did read some complaints about too much reverb being applied. From the headphones I listened to this on, I don't see this as a problem. Perhaps I'll hear a difference when I listen to this again in my studio later this evening. I doubt I'll change my mind though. I think the amount of verb used adds to the expressiveness of the track.

Without any more verbal diarrhea, the bottom line is that this is just fantastic and you should be proud to post this anywhere. I'm no critic and my opinion really doesn't matter to anyone but for whatever my opinion may be worth I say this takes the cake.

***applause***

333maxwell
August 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
You shouldn't make the assumption that your music sucks because of delay in responses. Most forums aren't real time and real life takes precedence :)

Triple 3 I gave this a spin while having my breakfast sitting at my desk at work (on my fourth listen whilst typing this). First off, I am very impressed with the quality of this recording. It sounds fantastic - quite like a commercially available product. The instruments all sit well in the mix. The vocals sound very much akin to Lennon's. I believe the vocals are what really shines on this mix - that and the guitar playing. I didn't read through all the users comments but I did read some complaints about too much reverb being applied. From the headphones I listened to this on, I don't see this as a problem. Perhaps I'll hear a difference when I listen to this again in my studio later this evening. I doubt I'll change my mind though. I think the amount of verb used adds to the expressiveness of the track.

Without any more verbal diarrhea, the bottom line is that this is just fantastic and you should be proud to post this anywhere. I'm no critic and my opinion really doesn't matter to anyone but for whatever my opinion may be worth I say this takes the cake.

***applause***

Thanks.. I have been having a bit of a 'lets kick the dog' day (me, being the dog).

You made my day.. appreciate it!

Justaguyin_nc
August 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
From the headphones I listened to this on, I don't see this as a problem. ***applause***

Funny you should mention this Stingx...right before you posted it, I mentioned to Helliott on his tune.. sounded so much better in headphones to get the distance between the instruments..

After going back to this one.. I realized I did not hear it in headphones either.. that was the difference.. now it has depth.. not verb.. much clearer for me to hear.. I must remember to listen in headphones if I don't get the feeling...

Max.. it does sound excellent this way.. great voice!