PDA

View Full Version : Some kids are cool

Spudman
July 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I have been married for the first time for just two years now. My wife's daughter is almost 9, and this weekend was her first wild camping trip and mountain climb. She made it all the way to the top of this big mountain and had to traverse a very long ridge to get to the 10,750 foot summit. She did it and had energy to spare. She loved it and had a ball. She is now hooked on boulder walking. She's cool!:)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Mirandasfirstclimb114.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Mirandasfirstclimb084.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Mirandasfirstclimb082.jpg

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Hey great Steve! We were out there too. Boating at Redfish, and my 9 year old was out on a hike with some other friends. He made it up to over 9000 above Goat Lake. I had to play with my "student band" on Saturday so missed the hike and stayed down at "base camp" at Redfish to help my wife with my younger two and the boat. I really wanted to be three places at once this weekend! Glad your hike/scramble went well. Idaho kids are cool!

tot_Ou_tard
July 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Way cool!

I climbed Mt Whitney with my family when I was 10 or so. We also used to take SERIOUS two-week backpacking trips.

No dawdling at the beautiful mountain lake, too many miles to go, & passes to traverse before bed.

Jimi75
July 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Hey Spud, this sounds like she's a really cool little lady!
Yeah, it's definitley cool when kids give you something and show you that they appreciate what you give them. I love it when my kids enjoy the family trips.

By the way, the pictures are beautiful.

Tim
July 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM
You make a nice role model there Steve. Those pictures look awesome. That sure is beautiful country out there. She will have fine memories when she grows older. Has she picked up the guitar after you also? Now, who took the picture of the three of you?

Spudman
July 9th, 2007, 07:33 AM
You make a nice role model there Steve. Those pictures look awesome. That sure is beautiful country out there. She will have fine memories when she grows older. Has she picked up the guitar after you also? Now, who took the picture of the three of you?

Thanks. I try to be a good role model but it's hard to keep the serious rock-n-roll out of it.:)

She was walking with her mom a lot and kept saying how much she was enjoying it. However, she is a little hard to wake up this morning.

She does have her own acoustic guitar and Casio keyboard with lighted keys which she plays with a lot. She also has access to one of my electrics but she hasn't asked me to show her any licks yet.

The threesome photo is done on the timer.

Justaguyin_nc
July 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Most excellent Spud... Great shots!
that's what life is all about!

LagrangeCalvert
July 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Man....reminds me of the time I spent with my father at the grand canyon...awesome stuff. My absolute fav. thing about being on a lone peak or on the edge of the mountain range is being able to see the curvature of the earth...makes you realize how small our little planet really is in the grand scheme of things. Good pics.

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Really nice pictures Steve! I wish that I were doing more stuff like that with my kids. You sure is MY role model :)

Robert
July 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Good pics Steve, thanks for posting them!

Mark
July 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Nice pix enjoy it, before ya know it they're grown up and heading out. Beautiful countryside great for the whole family!

Please clarify boulder walking, are you hiking on a narrow rock ridgeline? No ropes and pins stuff like that though? You might notice I am not any type of "rock climber".

Spudman
July 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Mark

Boulder walking is when you have to get from point A to point B and in between is just a huge mess of broken boulders. Every step counts. It requires balance, focus, and persistence because there are just so many of them. Your mind kind of goes into a different state and all that exists is just you and the rocks your breath, the sky and the breeze. It becomes a Zen moment.

For a kid it is a great exercise in many different skills...and it's kind of addictive.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/hiking/Mirandasfirstclimb073.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/hiking/Mirandasfirstclimb135.jpg

pie_man_25
July 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
just remember, they love you NOW, in a few years they'll be screaming I HATE YOU!!!, and that, is when you know you are a truly good parent.

no JK, but they may say that someday!

Spudman
July 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm expecting that. That's why I keep a full roll of duct tape around the house and a taser.:D

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Heck, I received a good dose of passive resistance from my oldest (9) last night when he did not want to finish a chore all the way and start getting ready for bed. Some heavy sighs, but no yelling yet. Yikes! I am training myself to be as consistent as I can be, and to not react unduly.

Spudman
July 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Heck, I received a good dose of passive resistance from my oldest (9) last night when he did not want to finish a chore all the way and start getting ready for bed. Some heavy sighs, but no yelling yet. Yikes! I am training myself to be as consistent as I can be, and to not react unduly.

Duct tape them securely and hang them from a tree for an hour. Worked wonders on me.

pie_man_25
July 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Duct tape them securely and hang them from a tree for an hour. Worked wonders on me.

hahahaha, wow you guys are hilarious!

I love this forum!

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Should that be upside down? I fear that my trees are to weak for a 8 year old, do you think that the flag pole could be sufficient?

Spudman
July 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Should that be upside down? I fear that my trees are to weak for a 8 year old, do you think that the flag pole could be sufficient?

Anything that they can't get down from themselves. It will help them understand that they have a reliance on YOU, and that if they want to end their misery they will have to be nice.

Either direction works, but upside down gets the point across the fastest.