PDA

View Full Version : Rail humbucker Pups

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Anyone have 'em? I am looking for advice on picking one to go with the Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF zebra Humbucker I purchased from Tone to put in my Fullerton ST4 fat strat. I want to stay vintage in tone, but have some punch in it to get some vintage punk/classic rock noise going. Shred metal tones or ultra modern not needed for what I want to do. I am looking at the GFS Lil Killer pups. They come in 6k, 10k and 15k. I already ruled out the 15 and am deciding between the 6 and 10, leaning toward the 6k. Thoughts please? Other pups I should look at? :)

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Help Moderators. I see when searching there is a "pickup" thread category I missed. Could someone please move my thread over? Thanks! (sheepishly).

LagrangeCalvert
July 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
well...the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates is a great bucker for what your looking for. Its got bite and clarity out the wazoo but cleans up nicely and plays well with others.

sunvalleylaw
July 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Jay at GuitarFetish very nicely emailed me back and suggested:
"Hi - I'd probably say go for a 10K Lil Killer- and use Black as hot and Green as ground to match the phasing of the Dimarzio." Thanks Jay for the response if you read this!

LagrangeCalvert, the SD PG sound great, but they don't come in rail style that I can see, or am I missing something?

Hard to find clips of the GFS pups, though I did find a thread on Harmony Central where people have listed some. So, between the 6k and the 10k, I am now leaning toward the 10k, because I want to turn this guitar into a little rocker, in a vintage kind of way. Price is good, they are only $30!

LagrangeCalvert
July 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I am looking for advice on picking one to go with the Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF zebra Humbucker I purchased from Tone to put in my Fullerton ST4 fat strat. I want to stay vintage in tone, but have some punch in it to get some vintage punk/classic rock noise going.. Thoughts please? Other pups I should look at? :)

This is why I suggested the Pearly gates.....cause Im an idiot and MISREAD it thinking the other way around........;) My bad, and I am glad you found a solution to the problem at hand.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Sun were you going to put that zebra in the bridge? I can't remember the configuration of your Fully but I think it's H/S/S right? Zebras are fairly easy to put against other colored pickups because you either tend to make the others all black...or make them all cream. Have you done another Kisakae guitar using the different combos? I think the GFSs pickups would be cool. Try them out and tell us how they are.