PDA

View Full Version : Fun game...."Whats the big deal with?"

LagrangeCalvert
July 10th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Ok....this is a call and response thread. Someone will say "Whats the big deal with" and name something to do with guitars or guitar related gear...not musicians or anything else....One person will attempt to answer and then post his own "WTBDW"......OR just type GO ON so others can try to answer or give their opinions on the subject. Once yours is answered please wait until at least 5 others post a WTBDW and then ask another.....you can answer as many times as you want as long as the answerer lets it GO ON........

I will start.

Whats the big deal with: Buttloads of gain? IMO you just masking the tone of the guitar and player for that matter.

guitartist
July 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Whats the big deal with: Buttloads of gain? IMO you just masking the tone of the guitar and player for that matter.

Yeah, but when you're playing Motorhead or Metallica riffs, they just don't sound right without a lot of gain!

I think a lot of players who aren't too confident in their playing skill try to compensate with lots of gain - 'cause it generally sounds cool and it does mask fudged notes somewhat. It sure doesn't work for every style though, definitely best for metal.

"go on..."

Robert
July 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Lots of gain can give cool feedback effects - controllable feedback is what I mean.

Certain music styles seem designed around buttload of gain. Some styles are the opposite - like Albert King blues can't have tons of rectumfryer distortion - too much buttload of gain will make blues sound like butt! :D

Go on...

Spudman
July 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
So what's the big deal with 4x12 cabinets? Are they that important when usually only one speaker gets miced?

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Well, they just look so darn cool! Esp. covered in a bunch of tweed. Plus, if one sets it up right, one can change up the mojo of the original amph. ie run your fender or fender like amph into a 4-12 marshall cab with celestion green backs (got that idea from 6S9L:-))

(go on)

warren0728
July 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
they do look good and if you can really crank them nothing sounds better....

Whats the deal with relic'ed guitars?

Pay extra to have it beat up ahead of time.....hmmmm.

Here is our standard porsche 911...pristine, but if you want to pay extra we'll make it look just like it looked after some famous star wrecked one just like it...i just don't get it!

ww

Spudman
July 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
That's what I like to do...go to the Porsche dealership and run my keys down a couple of the cars. Then I tell the dealer, "there ya go. I just made your cars go up almost triple in price because it's now a special edition relic." They love it when I do that.:rolleyes:

I can't understand beating up a perfectly good guitar unless I'm working with it. Why do they do that?

guitartist
July 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
You can blame the whole relic guitar thing on Keith Richards.

When the Stones were going on tour several years back, he decided he didn't want to tour with his favorite teles, so he asked the Fender Custom shop to make clones of them. They did, and he liked how they played, but he complained that they looked too new...so they "relic"ed them. And that was how "Relic"ing guitars got started.

Well, Keith is certainly a relic, so I guess he just feels more comfortable playing relics! I guess Keith thought it was like wearing jeans that looked too new or something (a friend of mine runs his new t-shirts through the washer & dryer about 100 times before he wears them, so they don't look new...kinda idiotic if ya ask me!).

Whats the big deal with: seven string guitars? A six string guitar can already hit some pretty low notes and you can always drop tune your low E to D or even lower.

Jamie O
July 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I think the 7-string thing may be connected a bit to the hip-hop influence on metal in the 90's, the extra low end sound it gives, using the guitar as a thudding rhythm instrument more than a singing melodic one. As far as why not just use a drop tuning? Maybe thats a little bit of 80's double bass drums for no reason whatsoever syndrome.

Whats the big deal with guitars painted to look like automobiles, like the Les Pauls and SG's, or PRS's Corvette one? Is anyone besides Japanese buisinessmen buying these? OK the red Les Paul model did look pretty cool...but still....

warren0728
July 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
wellllll.....when i repaint my 1954 ford truck orange with ghost flames i am planning on painting one of my guitars to match....

(go on)

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
wellllll.....when i repaint my 1954 ford truck orange with ghost flames i am planning on painting one of my guitars to match....

(go on)

ww

And there is the whole "Hot Wheels" thing that transfers over from hot rod cars to guitars, esp. those two US classics, the Strat and the LP. Not my taste, just sayin'

But what IS the big deal with guitarists that insist on wearing the long frizzed out hair like the 80s hair bands. I mean I guess some of those guys built there image with that, though why escapes me. But esp. the guys that STILL do the frizz thing whether or not they did the 80s hair band thing. That whole high maintenance look is just so nauseating What is up with that?

Spudman
July 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM
No worries about frizzy hair here unless you count the one (my last) that just went down the drain. How about a frizzy scalp?
Actually, when I had long hair it was permed and very easy to care for. Wash, natural dry then just run my fingers through it for a few seconds and it looked rad! Total 80's.

But since you mentioned it, what's up with all the interest in collecting Hot Wheels cars? I've seen peoples houses full of dem little things. What's the big deal?

LagrangeCalvert
July 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
No worries about frizzy hair here unless you count the one (my last) that just went down the drain. How about a frizzy scalp?
Actually, when I had long hair it was permed and very easy to care for. Wash, natural dry then just run my fingers through it for a few seconds and it looked rad! Total 80's.

But since you mentioned it, what's up with all the interest in collecting Hot Wheels cars? I've seen peoples houses full of dem little things. What's the big deal?

I have longer hippie style hair...and I wear a bandanna like Jimi, but thats just to keep it out of my face like the EMO kids and to keep the sweat out of my eyes, not totally a fashion statement; more like a useful piece of my wardrobe....like a belt. I agree fizzy frizzy yuck pube lookin 80's hair (weird al not included) is pretty lame.

As far as hot wheels.....People want a piece of history and culture....and to feel connected with their past....that could be why we all still go with wanting older guitars (relic looking or closet queen esque)....btw....I have some old hotwheels from when I was a tike....only 20 years ago....man I am young;)

OK.....I got one.

WTBDW................uber wattage amps?....sure its impressive to have 300 to the 4th power in tubes in the back of the amp, and it might improve tone having them (maybe)....but c'mon!....a 30-50 watt combo is ALL you will ever need...think about it; Big gigs your either direct line out or a microphone is in front of the cab and your just using the volume from the amp as a "monitor" or for stage volume for the drummer.....even big Stacks like Wylde's wall of DOOM is just for show (though its cool in that metal kinda way) and he only uses two full stacks....STILL OVERKILL!

And just to clear some stuff up....some of you might know this and some might not....Tube amps and solid state amps of the same wattage are just as loud...The reason Tube amps sound louder is of a round sine wave...your ear picks up the dist. differently than with a SS amp which creates a squared off sine/freq. at clipping....the round is a third and fifth harmonic and the SS is just nasty clipping that the ear picks up as garbage...and since the ear perceives it as louder (the third and fifth harmonic clipp from a power tube) and is fooled into it....

pes_laul
July 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
eh it looks really cool

so what is the big deal with concept guitars like bc rich warlocks i mean they play like crap