PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul on PBS

guitartist
July 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Just a heads up - I saw a commercial last night that Les Paul is going to be on the PBS show "American Masters" this week. It airs wednesday night here, consult your local listings....

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I saw that notation on the cover of the PBS guide we receive here at the house. I am looking forward to it. Would love to see one on Leo Fender too!

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Would love to see one on Leo Fender too!

As much as I dig Fender...Leo didnt play guitar*shrug* how cool would that be? I never understand the compairison...you(and I) really need to watch this!

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I guess Leo was more of an inventor. Whole lines of amps and guitars. I still think a show about his engineering and inventing approach would be cool. I don't know much of anything about Mr. Paul, other than Warren used to have a real cool pic with him in his Avatar after Mr. Paul played somewhere, but I do know I want to watch and learn more.

stingx
July 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM
If you ever find yourself in the NYC area on a Monday evening, you can catch Les Paul playing with his Trio at Iridium. He's still a great performer.

Justaguyin_nc
July 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
This might not be the best of Les Paul.. but shows what a character he was/is.. with Mary Ford... and a couple of goldtops with p90's

http://youtube.com/watch?v=63Df09Sodpk

and one a bit quicker...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8v8AezrhOko&mode=related&search

Big_Rob
July 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
On tonight at 10:00 EST

Thanks for the heads up!!! :DR

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
On tonight at 10:00 EST

Thanks for the heads up!!! :DR

9P out here in Mountain Time. I am excited to see it!

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
9pm eastern too.

Tone2TheBone
July 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
What I missed the MST show? Dang it! *stomp*

Wait a minute...today is Wednesday right? (doesn't know...doesn't care...he's on vacation baby)

Justaguyin_nc
July 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Sooooo.... Who saw it??

I thought it was pretty darn good and about Les not the Les Paul guitar..

Best moment... sharing a beer with his mom at her 100th birthday party...

The man has really lived and made some history... was well worth the time.. thank goodness I had it recorded!

Wow, I really liked the part when he tells how he tried to convince Gibson to go with a plank of wood and pickups... then Leo comes out with one before they wake up...:)

warren0728
July 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I don't know much of anything about Mr. Paul, other than Warren used to have a real cool pic with him in his Avatar after Mr. Paul played somewhere
didn't catch the show on pbs last night but les is one of the coolest....

here's the pic of me and mr. paul after his show at the iridium one night.

http://warrenworld.com/les_and_me.jpg

ww

Big_Rob
July 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I loved it! I thought it covered his life pretty well for a 1.5 hour show.

I never knew Mary Ford died so young though. She had a pretty voice.

warren0728
July 12th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I never knew Mary Ford died so young though. She had a pretty voice.
she was a pretty darn good guitar player too!

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Sooooo.... Who saw it??

I thought it was pretty darn good and about Les not the Les Paul guitar..

Best moment... sharing a beer with his mom at her 100th birthday party...

The man has really lived and made some history... was well worth the time.. thank goodness I had it recorded!

Wow, I really liked the part when he tells how he tried to convince Gibson to go with a plank of wood and pickups... then Leo comes out with one before they wake up...:)

yeah, it was really enjoyable for me. I missed a couple parts but have a bit recorded so will watch that to see if I can see the part about the plank of wood. I liked the railroad rail with a PUP from a phone guitar. His comment about endless sustain was classic.

I especially liked seeing his music. I had never heard any that I knew of before yesterday. I loved the blending of country and jazz.

Warren, while watching, I wondered if that pic was from the Iridium. Thanks for posting it again!

Big_Rob
July 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
didn't catch the show on pbs last night but les is one of the coolest....

here's the pic of me and mr. paul after his show at the iridium one night.

http://warrenworld.com/les_and_me.jpg

ww

ur so lucky!!!

warren0728
July 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM
ur so lucky!!!
it was definitely a musical high lite for me...the pic in the picture was on his mic stand during the show....i got it after the show and he signed it for me!

ww

Tim
July 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Yes it was a very good show. I learned a lot of how much he contributed to music and the recording industry. I recorded it on DVD. Also check your local PBS station. The one from Jacksonville Florida shows it will be repeated several times over the next few days (day time and evenings). After watching several pieces on the YouTube, Mary Ford definitely played a mean guitar. But then who was her teacher?

guitartist
July 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Wow Warren, that's so cool that you met Les Paul! Its great to see that although he's 90 he can still get around well and still seems to be mentally sharp.

Boy I really enjoyed the show last night. I really didn't know much about Les Paul's life prior to the early fifties, man that guy has lived quite a life. Loved all the footage of him with Mary Ford (especially when they were playing matching LP goldtops with p90s!) And seeing actual footage of "the log" was great too. Sometimes people focus so much on Les Paul as an inventor that they forget about his playing...I thought there was a good balance of both in this show.

Afterwards my local station aired a show on Chet Atkins....it was a night of "Lester and Chester" for me.

guitartist
July 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I didn't know that Les Paul owns one of Django's guitars, that was supercool as well!

pie_man_25
July 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
/\ yeah, Django was a pretty sweet guitarist, so was Les, but at the same time, the music drove me nuts and I really didn't care for it although I do admit that this guy was and still is a great musician I still don't care for his music.

Justaguyin_nc
August 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM
The Les Paul Chasing Sound is now available on DVD... think it was released on the 14th... Very much worth watching if you missed it on PBS.. With EXTRAS worth watching!

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Chasing-Sound/dp/B000QGE856