PDA

View Full Version : New VG Strat

helliott
July 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have experience with the new virtual Strat, which does tonnes of modeled tones and tunings? Reviews in GP are pretty good. Anyone checked one out? (I know, it's high treason to talk about modeling our tone, but what the heck ...)

t_ross33
July 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
It's apparently good 'nuff for Andy Summers...

From the reviews I've read, Line 6 still has an edge in this market, and at a more affordable price point, but if you're in the market for a strat-plus, it may fit the bill.

It's still a niche market. Heck, Steinberger Transcale guitars have received glowing reviews, but I've yet to see anyone playing one.

But what do I know. Getting back to your question, no I haven't checked them out yet :rolleyes: I only know what I've read to date. Probably not my cuppa tea, but you never know when GAS will hit.

Robert
July 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I played one just unplugged, and I loved the feel of it. Like a real quality strat. I bet it would be a fun guitar to have! I want one! But can't afford one right now... :(

warren0728
July 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
i played around with one for a half hour or so at my buddy's music shop....pretty impressive!

Could see where it would be a great tool for a working musician. I especially liked the 12 string mode and some of the alternate tunings, The best thing is that if the batteries die you still have a regular strat to play without the virtual effects!

ww

Spudman
July 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM
This may get you some more info on the VG Strat.
I've watched one of the Fender Frontline videos of Greg Koch and on one of them, I'm not sure which, he demonstrates the guitar very well. It may be this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJJ8cajMQQ

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I played one just unplugged, and I loved the feel of it. Like a real quality strat. I bet it would be a fun guitar to have! I want one! But can't afford one right now... :(

You need to concentrate on that Suhr savings account Robert ;)

Robert
July 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
It is a very cool guitar though! See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA442Cqzaxk

It is very appealing to be able to go to open tunings, great for slide work!

I'd love to get one - seems like a great purchase. You get a great American Strat with all these cool sounds. I'd pick that anytime before a Line 6 ugly-azz guitar.

Iago
July 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVgg9VlKfz8

more of the same.. this one is nice too!

helliott
July 12th, 2007, 09:40 PM
mmm--yep, most of this is what I've heard, too. I can't afford another GAS attack right now, but am mightily tempted, though I haven't played one yet. The idea of having an axe that could go from standard to open G and D for slide is pretty cool. I may be sniffing around Long &McQuade on this and will report back.
GAS, bet behind me, please.

BJunior
July 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Very cool guitar however a few things to think about...

I was checking them out at my local store. It's really just an American Strat with the Roland gear onboard and quite pricey too boot. All the extra money is going most likely (according to my good friend at the store) to Roland for the proprietary hardware.

He indicated that not too many people are buying them because of the cost factor, it's really way overpriced. What he felt would end up happening in the near future is that Fender will realize that it's not selling too well and produce exactly the same hardware on a MIM.

That will drive the price way down and make the guitar more affordable for the those that really want them, so in my eyes if I was eyeballing one of these because they are pretty cool and offer a lot of tonality options, I would wait a little while and see if Fender indeed does offer this on a MIM.

My .02 Cents...

:-)

jpfeifer
July 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I was considering a modeling guitar for a while and thought about this one. I've tried both the Line6 guitars and this VG Strat. They each have their pro/con.

The VG Strat is a better-made guitar and more familiar feel which is nice. However I think that they made a couple of key design decisions on this guitar that make it a no-go for me. The biggest issue is that there is no battery eliminator. This means that you will need to put fresh batteries in for nearly every gig. The batteries last 10 hours according to their specs, but this would be a big pain to have that to worry about at every gig. However, the sounds and features of the guitar work great. I especially like the re-tunning features. I would use that for slide especially. The other knock I have with the guitar is that they didn't model a Les Paul for the humbucking sounds. They modeled a Strat loaded with a Humbucker. This seems kind of lame. They should have modeled a Les Paul and 335 in my opinion.

The Line6 Variax's biggest weakness is the guitar itself. It doesn't feel as high quality as the VG Strat. (But I didn't try the Variax 700 which is supposedly the best one). However, the Variax has some great features that they should have put into the Fender VG Strat, IMO. First, it has a battery eliminator so you don't have to worry about keeping fresh batteries on hand. In addition, they have a separate output on the guitar for acoustic sounds. This allows you to send one output to your amp and the second output to the PA for acoustic sounds (for example). That's a great feature if you plan on going from acoustic to electric tones alot. Lastly the Variax has lots of good Les Paul, 335, and Jazz box models in addition to the Fender tones. I think that VG Strat does a better job of the Fender tones but the Variax sounds fantastic for the Gibson sounds.

In my opinion there is not a perfect modeling guitar yet, but they're getting closer. If Fender would fix a few things then they would have the clear winner. They already build a good guitar, now they need to take a look at what people would use the modeling for and nail it with some usability features. They almost have it.

-- Jim

Robert
July 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Good points, Jim! Thanks for comparison. I'd go for the VG I think. I'd just use rechargeable batteries.

warren0728
July 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
The other knock I have with the guitar is that they didn't model a Les Paul for the humbucking sounds. They modeled a Strat loaded with a Humbucker. This seems kind of lame. They should have modeled a Les Paul and 335 in my opinion.
my guess is that gibson would have not stood for that....kinda like how thew vox amps use names that are not the names of the actual amps....

just a guess...it was a fun guitar to play and sounded good....and having a standard strat to play if your batteries die is cool too

ww

Robert
July 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I still want that thing. What a useful guitar! It was a really nice "normal" guitar too!

Must.... Resist....G.A.S. ... At....All....Cost.... (or else my wife will slit my throat) :D

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Must.... Resist....G.A.S. ... At....All....Cost.... (or else my wife will slit my throat) :D

A slit throat you can live with, but if she really knew what to cut then your playing days are over.;)

Robert
July 19th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Sounds like you're talking from experience, hope not! :D And you are still playing...

Spudman
July 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Sounds like you're talking from experience, hope not! :D And you are still playing...

I am the king of my castle, er...guitar warehouse. Unfortunately we have decided together that no more guitars are to be bought (ya right). WE want a motorcycle instead.

That VG Strat is going to have to wait for me.

BJunior
July 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I am the king of my castle, er...guitar warehouse. Unfortunately we have decided together that no more guitars are to be bought (ya right). WE want a motorcycle instead.

That VG Strat is going to have to wait for me.
Well then in that case you should consider the greatest bike ever... well I'm pretty happy with mine anyway...and wait until Fender offers that VG strat on a MIM... :-)

The VFR!!! (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?)

Robert
July 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I think I may get rid of some of my cheap guitar to make room for another good one. Maybe a VG Strat, maybe something else. Time and compulsive behaviour will tell!

warren0728
July 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
WE want a motorcycle instead.
take a look at the Victory motorcycles...all american made...

a friend has one and it is unbelievable!

ww

Spudman
July 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well then in that case you should consider the greatest bike ever... well I'm pretty happy with mine anyway...and wait until Fender offers that VG strat on a MIM... :-)

The VFR!!! (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?)

But it's not just for me. We have our eyes on this...or a VG Strat.:D
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/180/0/specs.aspx
Watch the video.

GREENMACHINE
July 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Hey Man
Yeah they are WICKED I own one (maple neck, sunburst colour) They're soo awesome to play and not too heavy either for all the features they have packed into them. Really good for diffrent syles of music you might play so you don't need a whole lot of amps or pedals or guitars its right there at the twist of a knob or switch of a switch. I really love my Vg Strat ay.

Thanks
GREENMACHINE:D :DR

Brian Krashpad
July 31st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Hey Man
Yeah they arw WICKED I own one (maple neck, sunburst colour) Theyre soo awesome to play and not too heavy either for all the features they have packed into them. Really good for diffrent syles of music you might play so you don't need a whole lot of amps or pedals or guitars its right there at the twist of a knob or switch of a switch. I really love my Vg Strat ay.

Thanks
GREENMACHINE:D :DR

GM, post some pics!

GREENMACHINE
July 31st, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Man
Sorry to sound dumb but do I have to upload them to a file hosting place first? or can you do it right here?

Thanks GREENMACHINE:D :R :DR

ted s
August 1st, 2007, 05:28 AM
Hey Greenie, try www.box.net and post the link here.
Easy sign -up.

pes_laul
August 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
now the vg strats can yoo go from distortion to clean with just the nobs or do you need a stomp box etc

GREENMACHINE
December 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hey Guys
I was reading the replies here and forgot to place the link is this thread show pics of my VG Strat, so here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/n1vbtch305

Cheers
GREENMACHINE:D :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
December 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Nice guitar, and nice indoor garden Gnomes!!!!

GREENMACHINE
December 27th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Sunny
Cheers mate, well yeah thats not a gnome thats my brother, my mums a rock haha lol nah just kidding.

Cheers
GREENMACHINE:D :rockon:

GREENMACHINE
December 27th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Hey Kris
No with the VG Strat it doesn't have distortion it only have the guitar models like Humbucker and Strat, Tele and all the rest but not distortion you would need like you said stomp boxes.

Cheers
GREENMACHINE