PDA

View Full Version : New player injury...

tjcurtin1
July 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I've been increasing my playing time over the last few months, and have developed a slight problem... My left-hand index finger, on the side facing the thumb, has developed a bruised nerve (?) from playing bar chords. In an effort to fret all the strings, I have the tendency to roll my finger towards that side. Sometimes my finger tip feels numb even when I'm not playing. Is this something that anyone else has encountered? I guess the only solution is to work to keep the finger flat. Any suggestions?

weeladdie
July 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I've been increasing my playing time over the last few months, and have developed a slight problem... My left-hand index finger, on the side facing the thumb, has developed a bruised nerve (?) from playing bar chords. In an effort to fret all the strings, I have the tendency to roll my finger towards that side. Sometimes my finger tip feels numb even when I'm not playing. Is this something that anyone else has encountered? I guess the only solution is to work to keep the finger flat. Any suggestions?

Move your thumb to the left to open your hand position a little. Might help flatten out your index finger. HTH.

abraxas
July 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM
In an effort to fret all the strings, I have the tendency to roll my finger towards that side.

In fact, this is the "textbook" correct way to do it. Your index finger is stronger near the bone, so this is the area you need to expose to the strings.

The cause for your problem probably is that, perhaps, you fret with more force than needed. This may be due to high string action or heavy string gauge. For starters try to relax your hand more; a little pressure goes a long way. Try to fret with so much pressure as to just hear the notes clearly. Also check the other setup parameters I mentioned above. ;)

Tim
July 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Also not all 6 strings need to be played when bar chording. You might also want to check the string height up at the nut. High action will cause you to use more force to fret the strings.

tjcurtin1
July 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty thin - I was wondering if it's because I don't have enough meat on my finger bone!

R_of_G
July 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
a few years ago i nearly sliced off the top of my left index finger [it is why i ultimatrly quit cooking for a living]. now the nerve endings in that finger are pretty much dead, so i get kinda lucky in that i don't feel the strings nearly as much on that part of that finger. not that i am suggesting nearly amputating from the knuckle up, just saying that the pain from fretting is no longer an issue for my hands. still, it scared the crap out of me and i couldn't play for weeks [without getting a lot of blood on my strings that is, i still played bc i had to].

marnold
July 13th, 2007, 08:27 AM
What gauge strings are you using? That could also influence things. The big thing is working on technique so you don't have to keep the Grip of Death to fret the chord. Having said that barre chords are just plain hard to learn to play well. Once you get it down, you'll wonder why you ever had a problem.

R_of_G
July 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
What gauge strings are you using? That could also influence things. The big thing is working on technique so you don't have to keep the Grip of Death to fret the chord. Having said that barre chords are just plain hard to learn to play well. Once you get it down, you'll wonder why you ever had a problem.

i will admit being one of those who as a beginner more than once uttered the words "i will never be able to play barre chords." now i barely remember what the big deal was, and now i play a bigger guitar with heavier strings. goes to show you what happens when you make yourself practice the things you are not so great at. now barre chords are a piece of cake [unless i have been playing for a long while and my hands are shot].

guitartist
July 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i will admit being one of those who as a beginner more than once uttered the words "i will never be able to play barre chords." now i barely remember what the big deal was, and now i play a bigger guitar with heavier strings. goes to show you what happens when you make yourself practice the things you are not so great at. now barre chords are a piece of cake [unless i have been playing for a long while and my hands are shot].

In some books on chord progressions, particularly jazz chord progressions, I've encountered some chords which I've just found impossible to play due to their requiring your fingers to stretch across five or more frets. I just don't see how some guys are able to do that (...wish my fingers were longer , darn it!) I guess if I were to really work at it hopefully I could play those chords eventually ...but dang, a chord stretching six frets is tough. (but I guess if Django could play so magnificently with just two usable fingers on his fretting hand that proves that anything is possible if ya put your mind to it - seeing footage of Django playing on that Les Paul PBS show the other night sure was cool!)

Tjcurtin1, Since you haven't been playing too long, chances are any numbness you're having is just from string pressure on your skin. Once you have some good callouses built up and good strenght in your fretting hand, if you are still having pains, you should have it checked out.

Sometimes my ring fingertip on my fretting hand gets an intense pain in it...I think it has something to do with a pinched nerve or something. I've got plenty of callouses so its not just due to string pressure on the skin...its more like something under the skin. I can play as fast and as hard as I want for as long as I want 99% of the time with no problem -- but occasionally as soon as I start playing it acts up. It doesn't seem to be due to excess time playing or anything like that. Its a real sharp pain and I have to quit playing for a day or two when this happens . Luckily it hasn't happened in a while, but it has bothered me off and on for years now.

Spudman
July 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM
A lot of great advice here. Everyone covered basically everything.

1. Only exert enough pressure to make the notes in the chord ring clearly.
2. Calluses are going to help but take time to develop.
3. The more you do the chords the easier they will become.
4. You only need part of the bottom of your index finger touching a couple of
strings when you barre a chord. Your other fingers have the other notes
covered. If the edge of your finger hurts you are doing it wrong.
5. Make sure the guitar's action is not too high.
6. Relax!

tjcurtin1
July 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the good info, ideas and ENCOURAGEMENT! I'll keep at it - it actually isn not as bad as initially, when I'd get a shooting pain up to the fingertip - the numbness is easier to take!

Spudman
July 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the good info, ideas and ENCOURAGEMENT! I'll keep at it - it actually isn not as bad as initially, when I'd get a shooting pain up to the fingertip - the numbness is easier to take!

I know what you mean. That happens to my head a lot.:eek: :D

abraxas
July 14th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I know what you mean. That happens to my head a lot.:eek: :D

Ahahahahaha!!! Spud, you made my day! :D :D :DR