PDA

View Full Version : Geetings and Salutations

navvid
July 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hello all
My name is navvid (aka nick), I study astrophysics at SF State U, and guitars are better than women. If you are reading this and you are a beutiful red head, I retract my statement. But I digress...

First amongst my beloved ladies is my 87 MIJ 3 tone strat. I also have an 80's Ibanez RG (also nippon) and a korean fender acoustic. My amp is a Marshall TSL100 and a 1960A cab.

I got on this forum looking for help solid modeling a Strat for my first lutherie project. I am using a friends MIJ lefty strat to make a template so I can build a lefty and string it righty. Obviously, I am a Hendrix fan. Greatest guitarist of all time, followed very closely and sometimes overtaken by SRV.

I am an amature machinist, I modify and upgrade electronics and I believe that one of the biggest problems with the world today is there are not enough skilled craftsman.

I am glad to be here.

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Welcome! I will enjoy hearing about and hopefully seeing pics of your project(s). You should be able to find a lot of good practical help here.

duhvoodooman
July 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Welcome, Nick! I think you are our first astrophysicist here at TheFret! So does that make your favorite Hendrix tune Third Stone from the Sun? ;) :D

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes....

warren0728
July 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
welcome Nick....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Spudman
July 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Nick
Welcome aboard.

Robert
July 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Welcome Nick, good to have you here!

Tim
July 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Fret Net. I remember the solder articles that most likely got you here. We discuss many topics here at the Fret Net. Some are guitar related, others are not. Hence the Open Mic category.

ted s
July 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Welcome Nick, looking forward to hear what you have to say.

SuperSwede
July 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Welcome Nick!

Looking forward to hearing some triple super lead! Fantastic sounding amps!

tjcurtin1
July 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome Nick! You are right about..... the lack of craftsmen - that's because no one teaches kids to work with their hands anymore. In our high-tech world it is seen as valueless, and besides, there's always a machine to do that (whatever) somewhere, right? Right?! Or if not, just throw it away - it's not worth fixing. Don't get me going!

Now as to your other assertion - I love guitars (and anything else that makes music) but IMHO we couldn't get along without women; we'd be in a worse mess than we already are!

TJC

Iago
July 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
One more Hendrix fan can't be that bad :D Welcome Navvid!

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard Nick!

Tone2TheBone
July 17th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Welcome Nick I like your avatar LMAO.

Pickngrin
July 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Welcome, Navvid-

Good luck with the Strat project. Keep us posted.

Pickngrin (also new here)

navvid
July 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
TJC
pardon my cynicism, but the last year and a half of my experience has left me embittered, and it seems that my fiddles are about the only thing that fills the void in anything beyond a fleeting way. They don't freak out irrationally, they don't run off on a whim looking for greener pastures, they're always happy to be touched and appreciate any attention you give them...

Obviously, I am generalizing, and very pessimistically so. I don't honestly believe we could exist, let alone be better off without women. At least I wouldn't want to live in a world without them, any more than I would want to live in world without music or flowers. I'm just tired of seeing and hearing how guys are jerks and they don't treat their women right, while the best, most decent men I know get their hearts ripped out and can't get a date to save their life.

But again, I digress...

Spudman
July 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Oh boy you do digress:D lol

Just wait until you find a really good one. Just like a really good guitar...sometimes they sound so incredibly sweet and sing every song you love to hear, but other times just like a guitar they can be a pain and nothing right seems to come from them...that is when I like to start my relic treatment. It has worked to get the mojo back where it belongs.;)

Of course I don't really do a relic treatment. Good people are good people no matter what sex they are. Sounds like you could use a good people. That's why we have thefret.net. Rock on bro.

duhvoodooman
July 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'm just tired of seeing and hearing how guys are jerks and they don't treat their women right, while the best, most decent men I know get their hearts ripped out and can't get a date to save their life.
Somebody oughta write a song about that!

Wait a minute, there are several thousand of them already....they're called DA BLOOZ! :D

Tim
July 20th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Somebody oughta write a song about that!

Wait a minute, there are several thousand of them already....they're called DA BLOOZ! :D

You are correct absolutely VooDoo. There are so many blues songs which discuss all the "things she has done wrong". She done this wrong, and she has done that wrong, she forgot to do this, she forgot to do that. Does she do anything right?

Maybe Navvid should write another song about the difference between a woman who does me wrong and my ever loving sweet guitar.

tjcurtin1
July 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I hear ya, Nick. I've heard the same thing in reverse from some great women I have known - just gotta hang in till you find the right one... And keep hanging in afterwards! Even when you've found a good match, there's always stuff that troubles the waters from time to time - good luck on your search. In the meantime, as you know, "Music hath charms to soothe the troubled breast", thank goodness.

TJC

navvid
July 20th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Indeed, I have found great comfort in lutherie. Nothing seems to revive the mojo quite like it for me.

Check the Strat forum for news on my project. I have made some major progress in the design stage.

oldguy
July 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Hello, and welcome to our getaway/hideout.
Relax and unwind here, we're friends, brethren of the strings, if you will.
When life experiences are, shall we say, less-than-positive, retreat to a safe haven and reflect. Ones own ambitions are often misunderstood by persons unwilling or unable to give credit where credit is due.
I have a son who lives in Hayward, you can see the bay from his house.
But I digress.....

Big K
July 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Welcome. keep modding those beasts..... it's great