PDA

View Full Version : B. K. Butler Tube Driver ~NEW~

Justaguyin_nc
July 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
So, how does someone not technical in the arts of Guitar
explain a B.K. Butler Tube Driver?

Fabulous should cover it!!

Well, here is as much as I can explain..
As I will not ruin its reputation by playing it as a clip.

It's a wonderful device that is way over my skill level!

Over Priced? ($299.00 when you can't get a deal.. I got one!) Maybe..
but a very solid build, all point to point hand wired by the creater
who has a history with some of the top names in the guitar world.
Last limited run, Signed on the bottom and destined to be a classic world wide!

I always hear/read about the feeling between guitar, amp and player..
I now know what that is!! Very responsive to your pick attack! VERY!! did I say VERY!!

So responsive I was wondering what it was doing... I could hit a string and watch as it shook..
and HEARD all the shaking till it visually stopped!! No muddy anything.. it rings out!! Bass or Treble!!

Im still learning how to control it, I believe it's a HUGE learning curve ahead.
When I first added it to the chain of pedals I thought, man this aint no good for me.

Then I shut it off.. I turned it back on right away!!

I now MAX my little 5 watter and allow the Butler and guitar volume to clean it up!

Clear as a whistle clean and Fully Distorted over driven tube when needed!
(a bit harsh to me fully distorted, will try other tubes later)
It has the stock tube in it so far, 12ax7 and I might/will be trying others.
On full Tube Drive it is a little harsh for me, but I didn't buy it for that anyways..

I bought it to add fullness and warmth to my sound and man it delivers there in spades!
Even at my level I can hear...no FEEL the difference.
While strumming or picking, increasing the attack you can feel the swell coming like a wave in the ocean..
it builds the harder you attack like no other pedal I have ever tried.

SO RESPONSIVE!!

Four knobs, Level For volume, Hi for your treble and low for Bass, EQing your response,
and "Tube Drive" to take you from warmth to over driven tube!
Each knob is very interactive with micro clicks, you feel and hear the difference.

The casing is all enclosed, which I assume means the tube inside never gets that hot
and the new types similar made today just let you see in at your tube to get
the GLOW effect in the brain if not in the pedal.

Heavy three prong power cord is hard wired into the case.
Heavy duty foot switch that you do not hear, switching off and on, true bypass!

It cost a good buck if you get one!!

I understand now why some of the best guitar players use one..

While still on the Honeymoon... and although costly.. it seems worth every penny.

You always hear, this pedal sounds like this other one... this like that one etc. etc.

well, the Tube Driver sounds like The Tube Driver!

http://www.butleraudio.com/img/td1.jpg
Butler's Site:

http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php

very very responsive and sweeeeeeeeeeet!

DaveO
July 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Dang Justa did you hit the lottery recently. Lots of new toys. Christmas in July.
;) Dave

Justaguyin_nc
July 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Im retired now..to much time on my hands... soooo..
May as well get what ya want to fill the days..and nites...
lol

DaveO
July 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm starting to think the lottery is my retirement plan. ;)
Where are you in NC anyway?
Dave

Justaguyin_nc
July 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm starting to think the lottery is my retirement plan. ;)
Where are you in NC anyway?
Dave

I messaged ya the location dave...When you do hit the lottery.. get one of these pedals.. so freaking sharp... the epi junior never did this stuff.. has to be the tube in the pedal.. (honeymoons and pedals..sigh) wooahh.. ofcourse I can hear more of my errors to..sigh..lol

SuperSwede
July 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Justa, that was a brilliant review of the Tube Driver. Not at all like the boring reviews of most guitar mags, just the impressions of regular guitar player!
But of course we need to hear those fancy playing errors!

Btw, Justa I miss your backing track posts... we need more of those!

Justaguyin_nc
July 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
But of course we need to hear those fancy playing errors!

Btw, Justa I miss your backing track posts... we need more of those!

Man, you are sooooo right....

When is the last time there been one up here..

People use to find time to join in... and enjoyed it at all levels..

Swede.. I know you got a few to throw up here...
And I still got those bad notes to add to it!!! heh :)
Sigh....

SuperSwede
July 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Man, you are sooooo right....

When is the last time there been one up here..

People use to find time to join in... and enjoyed it at all levels..

Swede.. I know you got a few to throw up here...
And I still got those bad notes to add to it!!! heh :)
Sigh....

I dont have any ready Backings right now, but I might get time to cook something in the ´lab later..
I´ll chime in if you post something!

Mark
July 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Sounds good Justa I've been considering one of them glad to hear you like it. Those have quite a good rep from what I can gather.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Justa...whats the difference between that one and the old Chandler Tube Driver? It looks the same. Do you know?

Justaguyin_nc
July 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Hey Justa...whats the difference between that one and the old Chandler Tube Driver? It looks the same. Do you know?

I found this article over at tone from heaven that states the following:

Why did you stop making the Tube Driver? (Split from Chandler?) Any reason why you got out of the performing music industry (I.E. making effects)?
Actually the Chandler thing was a relatively minor incident in the overall history of my business activities. There’s not enough room here to elaborate much, but the truth of the matter is that somehow Chandler decided at one point that they had been the designer of the product, came up with the TD trademark and that I was infringing on their IP. They obviously had somebody attempt to copy the electronics and the physical design of my TD, then produced and sold them. I don’t know how many unauthorized units are out there. The mistakes inside are essentially within the EQ area and it would take too long to describe them. Also there is a basic ground loop mistake as well. The overall sound of the C copy is somewhat muted and not as clear on the upper harmonics, etc. Eric Johnson never used one of these copies as far as I know. All his pedals are ones I personally made. I never could understand why Chandler did that copy thing… They even challenged me in court and tried to convince the judge that Chandler was the actual owner of my design and the Tube Driver trademark. But the truth was obvious: In the end what was mine to begin with remains mine still…

Please refer to the whole article for more information:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jroscoe/bkbutler.html

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Oh wow I never knew anything about that. Cool that you have one of "his" own pedals.

Justaguyin_nc
July 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh wow I never knew anything about that. Cool that you have one of "his" own pedals.

Yes it is actually pretty cool... to me at least... The guy even hot glues the tube inside and initials it...class act all the way thru...

(umm much opposite of me mind you..)