PDA

View Full Version : ultralight aircraft

ted s
July 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Anyone have any knowledge on these, training requirements, kit/build info that sort of thing ?

TIA

Ted

Spudman
July 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I'm strictly balsa wood with a wind up propeller. :D That probably isn't much help to you?

I do have a friend who has a powered chute. Are you interested in something like that? The requirements could be different here than where you live. If you want me to I can find out some info from him for you.

pie_man_25
July 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
/\ yeah, I'm also pretty knowledgeless in this situation too

ted s
July 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Sure Spud, if he could recommend a site or some reading, that would be great ! thanks !

Mark
July 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I got my Pilots license about ten years ago so Im sorry I dont recall the specifics but you could do a search at FAA.gov for the current requirements. While they can be fun I personally prefer a conventional A/C for many reasons, part of that comes from living around the most congested airspace here in SoCal

Tim
July 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
You have to have an FAA Pilots license for ultralight aircraft. Even hot air balloonist need a license. I really enjoy riding in a hot air balloons. That is one peaceful ride my friends

Bloozcat
July 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know what the requirements are in Canada ted s, but here's a good FAQ link on the US FAA requirements.
http://www.uflyit.com/license.htm

Mark
July 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I never paid any attention to Ultralights and their requirments when I was training. Bloozcats link did jog my memory. While you dont need a ticket under part 103 if you are gonna fly at all I strongly suggest you get your
license. There is a lot to learn about aviation to fly safely and you need to be armed with that knowledge! Remember something goes wrong you just dont "pull over" you should go to your local airports and check out schools and meet other pilots even take a demo flight, in general pilots love to talk flying and are willing to help a new guy. Flying is a ton of fun!!

Fingers
July 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
John Denver was into all this sorta stuff...you know him...Annies song...Take me home country roads?

Wonder whatever happened to him...........................:eek:

Mark
July 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
If I remember correctly .......and I seldom do:eek: he was flying a experimental a/c that might have had a little history of problems.

ted s
July 14th, 2007, 08:04 PM
thanks for the input guys.

Tim
July 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
John Denver was into all this sorta stuff...you know him...Annies song...Take me home country roads?

Wonder whatever happened to him...........................:eek:

His ultralight aircraft crashed and he was killed.

Justaguyin_nc
July 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
His ultralight aircraft crashed and he was killed.

One he designed right? Miss Mountain High..

I wish I had the nerve... looks soooo cool.. And those Ultra Light copters to!

Sorry, no info to add... just passing through..

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver gives the story and shows a pic of the Long EZ aircraft. I don't know if it qualifies as an ultralight or not.

Mark
July 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Heres a nice Aviation poem. It always comes to mind when I go flying.

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

-- RCAF Flight-Lieutenant John Gillespie Magee Jr. (1922-1941).

ted s
July 16th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks Mark...
Ok, slight deviation, what about hang gliding ?

any takers ?