PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Superstar?

Myles
September 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM
The music scene is constantly flooded with siblings of superstars gaining popularity as well as actors and actresses making the cross over to music. More and more there are concerts where people dance around instead of actually singing and guitar solos that are overshadowed by expensive pyromantic displays.

So what does it take to become a superstar?

1. Connections
2. Marketing
3. Physical Appearance
4. Personality
5. Talent

Thats the order of importance as far as I am concerned. How would you arrange those 5. Would you add in any other factors?

Does it bother you that this is (atleast my opinion of) the state of affairs in the music industry?

Tone2TheBone
September 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
That list about sums it up completely.

EscalonJon
September 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I totally agree with the list as well. Those of us from the pre-MTV generation can easily see the difference in the music industry today compared to that of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Real talent has staying power. Many acts disappear once the suits with the cigars have wringed as much $$$ out of the deal as they can. Unfortunately, there are thousands of people with more talent than some of the "stars". Most of these people are on a timecard somewhere and do the "weekend warrior" thing just for the love of it. Right, Robert?

Spudman
October 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
So what does it take to become a superstar?

1. Connections
2. Marketing
3. Physical Appearance
4. Personality
5. Talent

Now think real hard - how many of these markers do the current crop of superstars have? Ya, I'm thinking Britney, James Blunt, (most rappers). I'll bet it can happen with fewer things going than you think.

Jimi75
October 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Charisma!

Lev
October 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
A murky personal life that'll keep you on the front page of the tabloids! (adultery, rehab, criminal record, custody battles - no such thing as bad publicity really)

just strum
October 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
To become a superstar I think the initial list is a good summary. However, today you can be a superstar and only last 6 to 12 months. Get a hit or two, show your house on Cribs, and then do a commercial for insurance (life comes at you fast).

My view of a superstar is staying power. A person or group doesn't really have to have a "hit" (Hendrix) to become a superstar, but should be able to be a musical influence and sustain through trends. I consider The Beatles, Stones, U2, Bowie to name a few, as superstars.

pes_laul
October 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
fall out boy is the worst example today. people only like the band because the bass player's appearance. he cant even play bass that good. everything is dubbed up in the recording studio.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
A murky personal life that'll keep you on the front page of the tabloids! (adultery, rehab, criminal record, custody battles - no such thing as bad publicity really)

Cool. I'm all set for super-stardom. I'm so murky I got catfish in my hair.

Seriously, it is sad that we get subjected to so much of that information. I say please just give me your music and good deeds. Keep your debauchery to yourself like the rest of us superstar regular folks do.:)