PDA

View Full Version : Whats better?

250Keith
July 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
What if I was to get a Lopo line 2-12 what ohm speaker to put in it? I dont get how the 4-8-16 ohm works? does one sound better than the other? is it how loud it gets or is it a combo of the above.
I will be getting a new Epi blues custom 30 end of next week cant wait:DR and thanks to Bloozcat for the help and info.And I have been play around with the idea of a nother 2-12 for a Epi 5 watt head, I just dont get this ohm thing.
Thanks.
Keith.

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the new amp! Looks cool and I have not heard too much about it. I am curious what you will find in re: a 2x12 cab also.

Justaguyin_nc
July 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Here is a pretty good read link..

http://www.sweetwater.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2193.html

I think it basicly said... they are all the same music wise ... whatever your amps need to plug into gives you the volume... guess thats why you can buy Vintage 30 in all ohms..because they sound the same..

So I would assume..it's dependent on which amps you have.. or going to have

Don't most OLDER VINTAGE amps just have 4ohm? Which compared to the article mentioned.. 16 and 8 will work with it.. just at lower volume?

putting 2 4 ohms together creates a 2ohm and could do harm..

As for music wise.. they suppose to be the same..

250Keith
July 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I should of said the blues 30 has 4-8 and 16 ohm plugs in the back of the amp amd I think Epi Vj has the same.
Thanks for the link.
Keith.

Bloozcat
July 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
You just have to match your amps impedence to the speaker impedence for optimum performance. Since the BC 30 and the Valve Jr both have output transformers with 4,8, & 16 ohm taps, it's pretty easy to get the right match. Remember, 2-8 ohm speakers wired in parallel equals 4 ohms. The same speakers wired in series equals 16 ohms. 2-16 ohm speakers wired in parallel = 8 ohm.

ETA: Here's a nice pictorial courtesy of Dave at Avatar speakers. BTW Keith, Avatar is another good place to look for a great cabinet at a fairly reasonable price. I have one of the 2X12 semi-open back cabinets, and I really like it. Good materials, solid construction.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm

LagrangeCalvert
July 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
avatar is awesome......so is www.earcandycabs.com

they are all custom and a bit more money but its a top notch cab.

IF you don't really care about the enclosure too much...you could always order an ebay open back and load the speakers you want that are voiced the way you want and have the needed impedence.

You just have to match your amps impedence to the speaker impedence for optimum performance. Since the BC 30 and the Valve Jr both have output transformers with 4,8, & 16 ohm taps, it's pretty easy to get the right match. Remember, 2-8 ohm speakers wired in parallel equals 4 ohms. The same speakers wired in series equals 16 ohms. 2-16 ohm speakers wired in parallel = 8 ohm.

ETA: Here's a nice pictorial courtesy of Dave at Avatar speakers. BTW Keith, Avatar is another good place to look for a great cabinet at a fairly reasonable price. I have one of the 2X12 semi-open back cabinets, and I really like it. Good materials, solid construction.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm

250Keith
July 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the links and the advice, I'm still not to old to learn something:D

250Keith
July 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Theres a guy selling V30s on ebay that are like 21 bucks deliverd I think, so thats why I want to build a 212 cab, I mite wait till August when he gets the green backs in.
So I guess I will be alright with getting any ohm speaker I can get and have no problem. :eek:
Keith.

DaveO
July 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Just make sure they are the same ohms. Don't mix an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm in the same cabinet.
Dave

Bloozcat
July 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Theres a guy selling V30s on ebay that are like 21 bucks deliverd I think, so thats why I want to build a 212 cab, I mite wait till August when he gets the green backs in.
So I guess I will be alright with getting any ohm speaker I can get and have no problem. :eek:
Keith.

The guy on Ebay is selling replicas of the Celestion Vintage 30's and Classic Leads. He's pretty up front about the speakers. They have cones (or "the soft parts", as he puts it), that are from the supplier to Celestion before they went to Chinese production. The speakers are then made in USA. They've gotten great reviews on more than a few web sites by people who've bought them.

This could be one of those deals that come along every so often that people talk about years later...either because they grabbed some when offered, or lamenting that they had not. I've got too many speakers right now, otherwise I'd grab at least a pair.