PDA

View Full Version : Why Crocs?

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM
...why?

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I wear 'em alla time up here. More comfortable and stay on better than flip/flops, and walk/jog whatever more securely than in them, easier on/off and more comfortable and cheaper than Tevas, Less slimy/sweaty in the heat than my Vans, in and out of the water with ease, they hose right off, and just so soft and comfortable! That's why. :-)

Robert
July 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Because Swedish hockey player Peter Forsberg is part owner of the company? Swedes are crazy about the Crocs! I actually sent 7 pairs to my family in Sweden, since they cost less than half here.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
....but they're ugly!

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Well, my wife is Dutch (though raised here) and her Mom really did wear wooden shoes (As a child, during WWII, to college classes, and pretty much until she emigrated her in the 50s) so by comparison . . . .

Also, for me, there is that practical pacific northwest thing. Comfort and practical concerns weigh more than fashion. Raised with North Face and REI Anoraks, lots of boot like shoes, ski clothes designed more to shed water than to look good, etc. I know you have that aesthetic thing though. LOL!

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Steve that is a pretty damn good response to my complaints. For that I will allow you to wear those things around me should we ever get to jam together. LMAO

;)

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Steve that is a pretty damn good response to my complaints. For that I will allow you to wear those things around me should we ever get to jam together. LMAO

;)

Cool! Sometimes though, I kick them off and play barefoot, especially for solos. LOL! :DR

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cool! Sometimes though, I kick them off and play barefoot, especially for solos. LOL! :DR

Do me a favor though...put them back on when you stomp on your effects pedals. hahahaha :p

WackyT
July 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I pass by their HQ on my way to work. Butt ugly shoes though. Definitely a product of the hippies in Boulder.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I pass by their HQ on my way to work. Butt ugly shoes though. Definitely a product of the hippies in Boulder.

Is that where they came from? Ahhh that explains it. One of my fishing buddies lives up in Ft. Collins CO and last year he was wearing some as he changed out of his fishing costume and I did a double take on him in the parking lot and laughed while I pointed at his shoes. I said..."what in the heck kind of shoes are those!"...he said..."oh you don't have any of these down where you live?....they're all the rage in Colorado. My daughter has all the colors".

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Well, that says something. Probably a quarter to a third of the locals you see walking around here have 'em. It is kind of a mini-Boulder type place here ya know. Most of Idaho thinks we're a bunch of weird hippy freak types. :p

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well, that says something. Probably a quarter to a third of the locals you see walking around here have 'em. It is kind of a mini-Boulder type place here ya know. Most of Idaho thinks we're a bunch of weird hippy freak types. :p

Hey I forgot to tell you that another fishing buddy/guide moved up there to ID. Where's Nampa?

WackyT
July 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yup. HQ is actually in Niwot. Probably because taxes are way too high in Boulder proper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocs

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hey I forgot to tell you that another fishing buddy/guide moved up there to ID. Where's Nampa?

Ag town west of Boise just a piece. Boise is about a 2.25 to 2.5 hour drive from here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=boise+to+nampa+idaho&sll=43.53262,-116.707764&sspn=0.157555,0.33886&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11&om=1

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ag town west of Boise just a piece. Boise is about a 2.25 to 2.5 hour drive from here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=boise+to+nampa+idaho&sll=43.53262,-116.707764&sspn=0.157555,0.33886&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11&om=1

Hey thanks for the map I've been meaning to look it up. He wants me to modify his website for his new operation up there and I just didn't know where it was at.

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM

;)

Ok, here they are in fine (or something) form. :DR (I'm the guy on the right with the cute legs and fine shoes standing next to the Peavey)

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/?action=view&current=P1000194.jpg

Better view of the shoe here:
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/?action=view&current=P1000196.jpg

Jimi75
July 17th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I can't believe you gigged with these shoes!
Crocs are definitely no Blue Suede Shoes! Man, they are ugly as hell especially in green and pink colour!

Sorry, but absolutely no Rock 'N Roll factor.

;)

pie_man_25
July 17th, 2007, 07:11 AM
/\ I agree, but also they say they are confortable, practical, etc.. and so the pros outweigh the cons, I was born on the belief that one pair of shoes and one pair of boots ( for those snowy Canadian winters) is enough so I don't really have a pair.

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I can't believe you gigged with these shoes!
Crocs are definitely no Blue Suede Shoes! Man, they are ugly as hell especially in green and pink colour!

Sorry, but absolutely no Rock 'N Roll factor.

;)

Yeah, well, it was my first gig. Better than the white ankle socks elsewhere in the pic though. Next time, maybe I will try my old school navy blue Vans, Dogtown style. :D

Bloozcat
July 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
The perfect site for those less than enamored with Crocs...
http://ihatecrocsblog.blogspot.com/

I only hope that I never reach a point in my life that Crocs are my only choice in shoes...:D

I mean, their flip-flops seem ok, but some of their other styles are absolutely hideous. And I've always wondered just how comfortable rubber shoes can be when worn barefooted here in the land of high humidity. Rubber rubbing on sweaty feet....:eek:

Tim
July 17th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Ugly is not the word for Crocs. My oldest daughter, her husband, son, and 2 year old daughter wear them. They gave a pair to my wife who has worn them once. My oldest is trying to convince the younger daughter to wear them. They have even threatened to buy me a pair. I call them clown shoes because how funny they look. I stated the only way they will be on my feet is when I am in my casket and can’t do anything about it. But I will haunt them if they ever put them on my feet. I am normally wearing sandals or bare footed, but more of the later. After all, I am in Florida.

Tone2TheBone
July 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Ugly is not the word for Crocs. My oldest daughter, her husband, son, and 2 year old daughter wear them. They gave a pair to my wife who has worn them once. My oldest is trying to convince the younger daughter to wear them. They have even threatened to buy me a pair. I call them clown shoes because how funny they look. I stated the only way they will be on my feet is when I am in my casket and can’t do anything about it. But I will haunt them if they ever put them on my feet. I am normally wearing sandals or bare footed, but more of the later. After all, I am in Florida.

LMAO!

Bloozcat I'm the same way about rubber/foam on the feet in the summer. Too hot and too sweaty. Yikes.

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Ok, guess I'll have to switch to Birkenstocks. ;-)

helliott
July 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Don't be too quick to judge the ugly crocks. I was a late convert, and admit they look like hell. But I have aging athlete feet (think basketball on tile in Keds) and I honestly find they have some value with reducing discomfort, particularly after a long day and lots of walking in dress shoes. I hate to admit it, but I've taken to doing the early morning dog walk in crocs and socks.
Yep, they're ugly, but GQ ain't knockin at my door. And they feel good, so what the heck.

Tone2TheBone
July 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Don't be too quick to judge the ugly crocks. I was a late convert, and admit they look like hell. But I have aging athlete feet (think basketball on tile in Keds) and I honestly find they have some value with reducing discomfort, particularly after a long day and lots of walking in dress shoes. I hate to admit it, but I've taken to doing the early morning dog walk in crocs and socks.
Yep, they're ugly, but GQ ain't knockin at my door. And they feel good, so what the heck.

I jest in my jabbing seriously. Socks against foam and rubber however has it's merits I must admit myself. Crocs seem to be out of style where I live it seems but I do understand their merits in comfort as the situation calls for.

zeusse
July 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM
My wife and kids love them but I just can't get around what they look like just hand me my hippie sandals and I'm good to go

Spudman
September 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/InternationalConference011.jpgHere are some Crocks photos from of all places - the Denver International Airport. (I didn't have anything better to do while I waited for my plane).

Go figure they would have this huge Crocks store...at the airport.

Crocks for all occasions. Look at the price on the tiny kids Crocks. Yikes!

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Seriously, is this another pic from the roof of your house?

aeolian
September 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My family bought each of us a pair of another knockoff of Crocs while we were in Hawaii a few years ago. They are very comfortable, easy to slip on and off, easily washable. When in Hawaii it was really nice to be able just to rinse the sand off of them after going to the beach; try getting all the sand out of a pair of sneakers in comparison.

My son wears his all the time. I wore mine to band practice yesterday since it was 90 degrees out.

Ro3b
September 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Last summer here in DC there was a kind of epidmic of crocs being sucked into commuter train escalators and chewed up, which resulted in quite a few injuries. Be careful out there in your colorful footwear, guys.

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM

I completely agree. I have my feet in hard ski boots, and in stiff cycling shoes, and in dress shoes much of the time. I defy my wife's friends who tease my because I wear my pearl izumi socks with my crocs sometimes, but otherwise, my heels tend to dry out and split, and it is darn comfortable. Function over fashion, I say. I will not be dictated to by some nefarious fashion police, enforcing rules set by advertising execs and magazine publishers. Also, I am a married, 40 something Dad. I try to look decent, but who am I really trying to impress?
:)

My wife and kids love them but I just can't get around what they look like just hand me my hippie sandals and I'm good to go

I have Birkenstocks too, which qualify as hippy sandals I believe. The leather and cork is more upkeep though, and I don't thrash those on the beach like I do these.

Spud, Mrs. SVL wears some of those fuzzy crocs around the house during our cold winters and cool evenings. The height of comfort for her. :AOK:

R_of_G
September 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Comfort takes precedence over appearance every time with me. My crocs are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Also, I live in Florida where it's always too hot for shoes but I am not about to go around unshod (too many nasty things to step on) but this is the next best thing. Easy on, easy off.

Plus, like Steve mentioned, at 38 and married and a father, who do I have to impress anyway? My wife likes them, she's the one who bought them for me.

Bloozcat
September 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Oh, look, Crocs...:puke: Whoa! What was that....

I played lots of basketball when I was younger too, only in Converse until Nike started making some better shoes. Feet are ok, it's the knees that are constant reminders of all those hours on the courts years ago.

Still....if I need a comfortable pair of shoes, I'll grab my running shoes, my Rockports, or the nice Lands End chucka boots I have. And I won't have to go around looking like a refugee from an acid party fashion show...:messedup:

Spudman
September 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/InternationalConference010.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/InternationalConference008.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/InternationalConference006.jpg

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
These were found recently at the scene of a fight between the Bloods and the Crips.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/crocsgross.jpg

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Thankfully I believe that the Crocs 15 minutes is just about up. They will be remembered as fondly as day-glo and "Choose Life" T-shirts from the 80s. And mullets. And the Soviet Union.

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thankfully I believe that the Crocs 15 minutes is just about up. They will be remembered as fondly as day-glo and "Choose Life" T-shirts from the 80s. And mullets. And the Soviet Union.

We just hired an engineer with a mullet, so there might be a minute or two to go on that one.

WackyT
September 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Here are some Crocks photos from of all places - the Denver International Airport. (I didn't have anything better to do while I waited for my plane).

Go figure they would have this huge Crocks store...at the airport.

Makes sense. Their HQ is right up the road in Boulder, CO. Hit up all the transient people in the airport.

Spudman
September 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Makes sense. Their HQ is right up the road in Boulder, CO.

(said in my best Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that.:D

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
We just hired an engineer with a mullet, so there might be a minute or two to go on that one.
Well, there are more than a few of them up here too. The astonishing thing to me (although by now it shouldn't astonish me) is how many she-mullets there are around here. If there's something more entertaining from an unintentional comedy standpoint than a she-mullet, I'd like to know what it is.

Guitar Gal
September 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM

But Strum, we live in the midwest.....where we still cling to our guns and religion and mullets :poke:

GG

R_of_G
September 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I still see plenty of them, but then again, I live in Florida. And Marnold, there are plenty of she-mullets (or as I call them mullettes) down here, and I agree with you, they are the height of hilarity.

tunghaichuan
September 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I still see plenty of them, but then again, I live in Florida. And Marnold, there are plenty of she-mullets (or as I call them mullettes) down here, and I agree with you, they are the height of hilarity.

In the lesbian community they are referred to as "short-longs." It is a long story how I know this. ;)

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hey, this thread is about crocs darn it! :rotflmao:

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/offtopic.gif

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Well, we could discuss who we have seen wearing crocs and a mullet. ;) :thwap:

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well, we could discuss who we have seen wearing crocs and a mullet. ;) :thwap:
Wouldn't it be easier to say those we haven't seen with crocs and a mullet? :messedup:

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
LOL!! I guess we have fewer mullets in this particular section of idaho. I used to see plenty in Tacoma though, mullets and mulletes! My son's soccer coach, an expatriate from NZ, sporting long grey dreadlocks held back in a horsetail and crocs, and a FC Liverpool tattoo, and full uniform resplendent with the Carlsberg logo is an enjoyable sight though. Richard is a great guy. :D

Spudman
July 16th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Uh oh! Bad news for Crocks.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/15/AR2009071503672.html?g=0

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Well then I am stocking up!!!

marnold
July 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Put them in the box with your pet rock.

R_of_G
July 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
i still wear mine pretty much daily.

tot_Ou_tard
July 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well then I am stocking up!!! You should move on to these:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

just strum
July 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Get your cameras

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/6dee2/

ibanezjunkie
July 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
imho they look a little off, but i could understand why youd like them R of G, cuz trainers in Tampa just seems too uncomfortable.

some of those in the pictures above look alright though.

spongebob :rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
July 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Statement withdrawn to avoid imminent flaming from Shiner.

:master:

Now? Can I Tung? Now? Please? Can I?:deadhorse:

tunghaichuan
July 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Now? Can I Tung? Now? Please? Can I?:deadhorse:

Sure, knock yourself out. I admire the considerable restraint you've shown thus far. :D

just strum
July 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I, like many here, remember the Earth Shoe. Someday Crocs will be priced in the area of Earth Shoes are today.

http://www.planetshoes.com/storeitems.asp?gender=Men&bc=Earth&cc=Footwear&style=Casual%20Shoes

piebaldpython
July 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Earth Shoes??? Oh my, 70's flashback........hmmmmmmmmm.......or was it the late 60's?? :D No matter, I was there and I remember wearing 'em to school.

just strum
July 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Earth Shoes??? Oh my, 70's flashback........hmmmmmmmmm.......or was it the late 60's?? :D No matter, I was there and I remember wearing 'em to school.

It was the early 70's. I remember I gave a pair to my Dad and he would walk around the house like he was falling backwards. I was surprised to find them and even more surprised at the price.

luvmyshiner
July 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sure, knock yourself out. I admire the considerable restraint you've shown thus far. :D

Naw, I'm gonna pass Tung. It's kinda like dancin' with the ugliest girl at the bar at 1:00 a.m. You know you can, but will you respect yourself in the morning.:messedup:

Spudman
July 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Naw, I'm gonna pass Tung. It's kinda like dancin' with the ugliest girl at the bar at 1:00 a.m. You know you can, but will you respect yourself in the morning.:messedup:

You guys are cracking me up so hard I have tears in my eyes.:rotflmao:

ibanezjunkie
July 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
you can if you want shiner, i submit.

provide more entertainment for spud.

pes_laul
July 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
they look damned stupid, but i could understand why youd like them R of G, cuz trainers in Tampa just seems too uncomfortable.
dude do you even think about what your saying when you post? I hate to sound mean but this forum is about friends from different places with different tastes and not about who some dude's opinion is always right and everyone else is wrong.

didn't your mother ever say if you can't say nothing nice then don't say nothing?

ibanezjunkie
July 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
i altered the wording of my post.

tunghaichuan
July 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
i altered the wording of my post.

Good on ya.

I deleted my previous post.

No reason to :deadhorse:

tung