PDA

View Full Version : Are you a legato picker or alternate picking picker?

Robert
July 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I use a combination of alternative picking and legato picking and lots of pull-offs and hammer-ons. It suits me the best.

How about you?

duhvoodooman
July 17th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Same. I'm just nowhere near as good at it as you are! :D

marnold
July 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I use a combination of alternative picking and legato picking and lots of pull-offs and hammer-ons. It suits me the best.
Legato picking? I thought legato _wasn't_ picking.

Tone2TheBone
July 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I pretty much pick all the notes I play on leads but I will sometimes do pull offs on certain things.

Spudman
July 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Nose picker. Mostly sweep, but occasionally alternate between nostrils.:DR

Alternate usually and some hammer-ons and pull-offs. I wish I could sweep pick though.:(

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I currently like to use a lot of hammer ons and pull offs. I love to combine a bend with a pull off. My pick attack is not as smooth as I would like too, and I am too slow and rough if I try to pick everything. I could alternate better and more naturally too. Better though with time and practice.

Robert
July 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Marnold, you're right of course. I guess I should call it "Legato playing". I mean hammer-ons and pull-offs (sometimes even pull-ups :eek: ).

ted s
July 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Spud.. nosepicker..:p your killin me..
Pullups ? might need those in my senior years..

duhvoodooman
July 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Spud.. nosepicker..:p your killin me..
Pullups ? might need those in my senior years..
Little known fact--"legato" is Italian for "booger". :D

Ro3b
July 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I got into the habit of using lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs because I'm a lazy, lazy player and I didn't want to have to put effort into developing speed in my picking hand. That's something I've been trying to remedy recently, though I still like the sound of legato playing better.

ted s
July 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Thanks Cliffy

marnold
July 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Marnold, you're right of course. I guess I should call it "Legato playing". I mean hammer-ons and pull-offs (sometimes even pull-ups :eek: ).
Whew! I thought I had lost it for a moment there. Just when I think I know what a term means . . .

As far as which of them I prefer, I'm not really good enough to say. At this point, it's probably more of a percussive pick attack thing for me.

Spudman
July 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Wow! I never knew that. I thought the guys in the band were being my friends when they called me Mr. Legato.:o

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Wow! I never knew that. I thought the guys in the band were being my friends when they called me Mr. Legato.:o

Obviously not ;)
Ah well, I play too much with legatos too... I´m the founder of the international legato movement.

Jimi75
July 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I try to pick as much as possible, because it is easier to work with different dynamics when you pick.

Therefore:
85% picking
15% legato

R_of_G
July 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Like I mentioned in previous posts, I put a lot of energy into developing the right tone to go with my playing. While I use both styles of playing described here, I watched a video of Bill Frisell where he discusses his tone. An exercise he suggests is to play scales but only pick the first note on each string and then slide your finger to the other notes without picking again. This creates a nice slurred sound, and some great whole round tones. Once you get used to playing scales this way, you start to integrate this into your lead play. Combine this way of playing with picking more notes and you achieve some difference in tone and the same lines take on new life each time through as you focus on certain notes and then on the movement of the tone to the other notes.

Lev
July 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I play with legato alot because my speed picking sucks but I find it's much easier on ascending runs (hammer ons) then decending (pull offs).

Tone2TheBone
July 18th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I was really influenced by Neal Schon's playing and I think that's why I tried to pick every note off. It just sounded dang cool. I like the attack and tone of strings being picked.

pie_man_25
July 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about

Here you go budding guitar player. Your homework... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legato

250Keith
July 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
My playing is definitely slurred just ask my girl freind or anybody for that matter.:R

Robert
July 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey, Keith, that sounds like you're talking about my speech!

guitartist
July 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I try to pick as much as possible, because it is easier to work with different dynamics when you pick.

Therefore:
85% picking
15% legato

After thinking about it some while I was actually playing, Jimi's picking-to-legato ratio seems to apply to me as well.

I've really been getting into hybrid picking a lot the past few years. Trying to get better at Travis picking on acoustic, I've still got a long way to go in that dept. though.