PDA

View Full Version : rewiring problems

pes_laul
July 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I have a line 6 spider III amp and a speaker cabinet ( dont know the brand yet)
The amp i have is a combo. i know theres a way to do it but i dont know how to rewire the amp to the speaker cabinet

ted s
July 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
If I'm reading you right, you want to drive the cab with the Spider...
If the Spider doesn't have an external speaker out you will need to break into the speaker wire, install a male/female set of jacks (male end to the powered side, female to the speaker side, and also a female on the cab if not already there) The tip of the male jack will be "+" , don't use a guitar cable for the speaker extension and also match the load impeadance. This description allows for one or the other, not both.
Hope this helps.

I did the same with my Traynor combo to a 2x12 cab. worked fine.

Big K
July 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
match the ohms from the existing combo speaker to that of the new extension cab or there will most likely be a poof on one or the other and not much sound after that.....

333maxwell
July 17th, 2007, 05:40 PM
match the ohms from the existing combo speaker to that of the new extension cab or there will most likely be a poof on one or the other and not much sound after that.....

Perfect advice, I was just going to give the same!

pes_laul
July 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
ok ive never done this before and i dont know that much what are ohms and if i hook a cable from the lime out to the speaker it will blow it?

chordshredder
July 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Line Out is only millivolts, it wont drive a speaker.

The spider heads want to see 8 ohm speakers but found no info on the combos. Did you pose this query on the Line6 website forum?

If your combo has two speakers, then this applies;
As you face the back of the amp; Red wire + Left spkr, White wire is + right spkr....blacks are -. With only one external cab you can only break either the left or the right and feed it to an external cab.