PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me identify this amp?

LagrangeCalvert
July 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
All it says is a peavey vintage....with 6 x 10....no other info is given on it. Anyone know anything about this amp?

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=d7996a59-4889-4cb5-a396-eb3e21ea6208&Item=1638381

If anyone can tell me anything about this amp please do.

Spudman
July 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I've never seen one of these myself but it is basically a Classic amph like the Classic 30 or 50.

Here is what I could find. The price seems a little high.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Vintage/10/1

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Don't know anything personally, but this guy lists some details in his craigslist ad.
http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/372255302.html

LagrangeCalvert
July 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
120 watts SOLID STATE preamp and 6 x 10.. built around '72 and hand wired.

I think I will offer mike at mikes music 250 dollars for it (its been rode hard and put away wet) and see what he says. It would make a killer amp to have

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Thats a really cool looking amp! 6x10 should produce a really interesting sound!

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I think I will offer mike at mikes music 250 dollars for it (its been rode hard and put away wet) and see what he says. It would make a killer amp to have

That would be very much like the Peavey Mace which is an outstanding amph. Some of the best clean tones available.

Does this one use the combiner footswitch? There would be a multi pin din plug somewhere on the head if it does. If it doesn't come with the switch and you think you'll want that function then you can barter the price down because to get the switch is $60-$80 USD.

All those 6L6's are amazing...but expensive to replace.

LagrangeCalvert
July 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM
do you think my price is fair?

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
do you think my price is fair?

If it works, no speakers are blown and it doesn' need the combiner footswitch then I say yes.

333maxwell
July 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM

ARE YOU SURE IT IS SOLID STATE PRE-AMP?

What I mean is originaly the 'Vintage' teeds had 2 'COMPACTRONS'.. or that is what they used to call them..

They were mini, flat tubes that are on the inside of the back cover, but you can't see them unless you remove the cover, and they rarely go bad, but as of 15 years ago I know as a fact you could still get them on the open market, BUT I had to cut out the back where they stuck out of the back panel a bit, because they stuck out a bit farther than the originals.. but I didn't look real hard for .. but they do glow, and they are in replace of what would be a normal 12ax7 circuit (as I understand)..

Sooo..

Are you SURE it is a Solid State Pre-

I had one just like it, of course mine was modified with a 'master volume' I ran out the back panel too.

They are a fine amp and are built like horses.

LagrangeCalvert
July 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.answers.com/topic/compactron

you mean theese?....well I only glanced at the amp while I was at the shoppe...soooo its more than possible that there is a tube preamp. I saw the amp, I saw the price and the wattage/dollar value....plus its just got some mojo goin on......I want it bad!......so 250 is a fair price cause it's low balling him quite a bit....I'm worried since he deals with only vintage gear he will laugh in my face and some dumb kid will take all his saved up money mommy gave him and buy it....grrr!

333maxwell
July 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM
http://www.answers.com/topic/compactron

you mean theese?....well I only glanced at the amp while I was at the shoppe...soooo its more than possible that there is a tube preamp. I saw the amp, I saw the price and the wattage/dollar value....plus its just got some mojo goin on......I want it bad!......so 250 is a fair price cause it's low balling him quite a bit....I'm worried since he deals with only vintage gear he will laugh in my face and some dumb kid will take all his saved up money mommy gave him and buy it....grrr!

The compactrons in the Vintage, assuming it had them, are like that, but shorter and stubbier.. maybe 2.5 inches tall.

As for price, I have seen them go for over 6.. but in the recent market anything over 300-350 leaves you a LOT of alternatives.

Worst he can do is laugh at you.. if he is smart, the best he can do is accept and counter offer if he has more into it.

They are pretty hard to move I would think.. fewer and fewer people need a giant amp of such power..

Give him an offer.. he might just accept it no questions asked.

pes_laul
July 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
no idea