PDA

View Full Version : Happy Grounddog Day!

Tone2TheBone
February 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
:D

(I say it grounddog...it's groundhog)

6 more weeks of winter! Every year since I can't remember when, our family celebrates Groundhog Day. It's celebrated at my daughter's school in class and at home when we watch the Bill Murray film "Groundhog Day". We do this ritual every year. It never ends....it just happens over...and over...and over... and over.........

Tim
February 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Sound like someone needs to get in touch with themselves!

Tone2TheBone
February 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you need nice lessons Tim.

Nelskie
February 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Six more weeks of winter you say? Ya' know, I've lived in North Dakota most of my life, so winter is winter, no matter how you slice it. We've been above 0 degrees F for all of January, and in my book, that's like "Gift Winter". Lovely! Happy "Grounddog" Day all . . . :)

r_a_smith3530
February 2nd, 2006, 10:27 PM
:D

(I say it grounddog...it's groundhog)

6 more weeks of winter! Every year since I can't remember when, our family celebrates Groundhog Day. It's celebrated at my daughter's school in class and at home when we watch the Bill Murray film "Groundhog Day". We do this ritual every year. It never ends....it just happens over...and over...and over... and over.........

Funny you mention that tone2thebone. Saturday night, I'll be playing bass on the square in Woodstock, IL, where "Groundhog Day" was filmed, accompanying my friend Paul.

Tone2TheBone
February 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Rob,

As we watched that movie last night my wife told me "you know we've been watching this movie for 15 years", ever since she was pregnant with our oldest daughter who will be 14 this March. I KNEW there was a good reason why we watch it every year I just couldn't remember until she mentioned that. And each time I watch it I laugh just as hard as I did the first time. I counted how many times he relives February 2nd once and it was 36 times. Last night I counted again and yup...36.

What kind of gig you got there? Thats awesome. It would be cool if you could get someone to snap some photos!

r_a_smith3530
February 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hey, t2tb, I'm heading out in about an hour. My best friend and I will be doing three or four sets (7:00PM - 10:00PM) at the Stage Left Cafe, an annex of the Woodstock Opera House, on the square. The Opera House and the cafe are owned by the city. They still to this day benefit from the movie "Groundhog Day."

There are many good acts that come here. Arlo Guthrie will be appearing in April (yes, I have a ticket). Al Stewart ("Year of the Cat") was here recently, and Dave Nachmanoff who opens for Al (and accompanies him), stayed at my friend Paul's and even gave a house concert there. If you ever get a chance, you've got to catch one of Dave's shows. He is really one hell of a picker!

http://www.davenach.com/

As for the type of music, it is kind of country, pop, folk. Paul is a singer-songwriter, and we'll be doing his material plus covers of some tunes by folks as varied as Jim Croce and Buffalo Springfield. As I mentioned, I'll be backing him up on the bass.

I'm bringing my digital camera and will try to get someone to take a few shots of us.

Tone2TheBone
February 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Wow thats great Rob...knock 'em dead. Thanks for the info too btw and post some of those pics on here if you can.

r_a_smith3530
February 5th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I just got home and got my equipment in the house. We did 4 sets, starting at 7 and finishing about 10:30 (this IS a coffee house!). We hadn't had all that much time to practice together over the past few weeks, so I was kind of nervous, but I held my own just fine, and damn, we really nailed it on more than several numbers. Yeah, the audience (mostly theatre goers who wandered in) seemed to like it too.

A few folks who usually seemed to be at Paul's solo shows were a little more animated tonight. Now, whether that was due to Paul switching back and forth between acoustic and electric (his previous shows have been all acoustic), or whether it was the interaction between guitar and bass that we brought tonight I can't tell you, but it was there.

I can't wait until our next show. Hey, I got some pics (don't know yet how good they are) that I'll post sometime tomorrow.

r_a_smith3530
February 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Well, here's a pic from our show. BTW, we are tentatively calling ourselves "The Crispy Noodle Band" for the present.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/sportyrb/crispynoodles.jpg

That's me on the left, with "Frankenbass." Like I said in my earlier post, it was an absolute blast! Sorry about the poor quality of the pic. I hope to have some cleaned up shots in a couple of days.

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Rob, did you record any audio as well?

r_a_smith3530
February 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Rob, did you record any audio as well?

No SuperSwede, we haven't gotten that sophisticated with this thing yet. It's only been less than a month since we decided for sure that we were even going to do this! It was actually Paul's date (or gig) that he turned into ours. We are presently lined up for the same venue for next month as well, but we're feeling it out as we go along.

Here's a better shot of us BTW.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/sportyrb/paulrob1.jpg

Iago
February 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Sorry guys, but what this Groundhog Day is all about?? (I`m brazilian) :D

Myles
February 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Groundhog Day is celebrated (well celebrate is a rather loose term for it) on February 2nd in North America. Basically a big show is made of a groundhog coming out of a hole and if he sees his shadow then there will be 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't then we might actually go above zero sometime soon.

As it so happens we have 6 more weeks of winter coming our way this year.

The movie Groundhog Day that they refer to takes place on Groundhog Day and involves the main character reliving the same day over and over again because he is a jerk until eventually he learns what is important and somehow breaks the Groundhog Day "curse".

Tone2TheBone
February 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'm a little late everywhere else but here at home it's still Ground Dog Day!

HGDD!

....again...!

Algonquin
February 3rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Happy Belated Groundhog Day.

I love that movie! What a classic :AOK:

just strum
February 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
I forgot all about Groundhog Day.

I honestly can say I have never seen that movie from beginning to end in one sitting and probably couldn't tell you about one scene.

Note to self: Rent Groundhog Day.

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Apparently six more weeks according to Phil. Great!!! We are having an awesome winter over here!

http://sunvalley.plumtv.com/pictures/sleeping_skier_lift

http://sunvalley.plumtv.com/pictures/lone_moose

just strum
February 3rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Apparently six more weeks according to Phil. Great!!! We are having an awesome winter over here!

http://sunvalley.plumtv.com/pictures/sleeping_skier_lift

http://sunvalley.plumtv.com/pictures/lone_moose

I thought moose easily get PO'd and chase people that get near them, what's with the one in the picture?

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
They do and folks are advised to stay away. But they are native here, and pretty regularly come around. We also regularly have sightings of elk, deer, foxes, coyotes, skunk, etc. Bear, and mountain lions are around too. Sometimes, a moose walks down a city street or something. This is not an every day thing, but once in a while, and if you know where to look you stand a good chance of finding one. They like to hang in the river basin areas that have willows and other wetland type vegetation. This one is at the River Run base of the ski hill, which is located where the Big Wood River wanders by, early in the A.M. while workers are showing up but before the public. I presume it walked off as more humans arrived.

oldguy
February 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a little late everywhere else but here at home it's still Ground Dog Day!

HGDD!

....again...!

I'm also a bit late......but Happy Ground Dog Day to everyone!!!!!:)
Tone, I think it's cool you celebrate every year, family tradition is great.

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah Tone, that is cool! I like also that you celebrate a more whimsical holiday as a family. I hope it was fun.

(Also, Sorry for the semi-hijack!)

Spudman
February 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
6 more weeks of winter? Good. That means we'll finally get some winter here and it definitely started today with about 7-8 inches. The first real snow all winter. Thanks Phil.