PDA

View Full Version : Fender Classic Player Strats

jpfeifer
July 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I went to Guitar Center last week just to have some fun playing some guitars. I like to do that from time to time to see what's out there and try some of the newer guitars.

One of the big surprises was this guitar I tried. The Fender Classic Player Strats. I tried the 1960's model and I was quite impressed. It plays more like a custom shop model. It has a slightly flatter radius fretboard for easier bending and it also has jumbo frets. The pickups sounded great. It played very well and felt like a vintage era strat with the nicrocelulous laquer, etc. I thought that it was a good deal considering that it was less than $1000. Most of the custom shop ones are much more $. Here is a link to the one I tried:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Player-60s-Stratocaster?sku=512767

They also make a 50's era model but I didn't have time to try that one. If you're looking for a Strat I would reccomend trying one of these.

-- Jim

Robert
July 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I find almost all the new Fenders are much better than they were a few years ago. Quality control or something must have improved.

Spudman
July 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Lev has one of the 60's Players Strats.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2775&highlight=Classic+Player+Strat

I checked some out on youtube and they sure sound good. I'm afraid to play one because....well, you know what will happen.

jpfeifer
July 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, I think that you're right.

My Eric Clapton Strat had some major finish problems on the neck. I bought it about 8 years ago. All of the laquer started flaking off the neck after the first 3 yrs or so. I tried to get Fender to repair it but they refused because the warranty had expired. I was dissapointed, but the guitar still plays great. I decided it wasn't such a bad thing to have it looking tattered. It just makes it look more like the real Blackie :-)

But I am envious of some of these newer models where they're putting in some useful mods to the guitar (like a flatter radius) but making them still feel vintage. This is what I liked so much about the Clapton model.

-- Jim

Lev
July 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Buy one Jim - you won't regret it - it gets as much playing time as my American Deluxe which cost me nearly twice as much (european prices).