PDA

View Full Version : Life, death, and free air time

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Things started rolling Monday night when I got an offer back for a show at a local club tonight (Thursday 7/19). Called around to all the lads and they could do it, so we'll finally have the debut of Crash Pad's new rhythm section tonight. We'd practiced at our usual time Sunday night but called a special polishing-up practice for last night.

Yesterday (Wednesday) at work was kinda bad, we're buried with work (which is actually a good thing), but my Marketing Director heard from his longtime girlfriend that her dad had suddenly and unexpectedly died of a heart attack. So he'll be gone for the rest of the week and I have to cover for him while trying to get my own work done.

So anyhow last night's practice went well enough, but on the way home I hit a doggone possum, and unfortunately my 10-year-old son was in the car, and he's really sensitive about animals getting hurt or killed. Even though it was an unavoidable accident, I was afraid that it would really upset him. He doesn't even like it in movies or TV shows when something bad happens to animals even though he knows it's fiction.

So I was worried about the lad being upset, as we continued our drive home after stopping at a gas station for gas. We were listening to the local "alternative" rock radio station, and Wednesday night is their 1-hour local music show. So I mused aloud whether they might play Crash Pad. I hadn't specifically asked them to, but had gone to the show's myspace site and posted a mini-copy of the flyer I whipped up Monday night:

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/5025/halfsizeeh8.jpg

Well, they came back from commercial and sure enough the song out of the break was one of ours. Then the show hosts (both of whom I'm personally acquainted with) came on and mentioned the show and chit-chatted about us for a minute (the one guy noted how "distinctive" my vocals are, haha, the other correctly recalled that he was the person that first started calling me "Brian Krashpad"-- a name that's obviously stuck). Then they played a second song of ours!

Of course the boy was in the back of the van bopping around to the tunes and thought it was just about the coolest thing ever that Dad was on the radio, and forgot all about the poor ol' possum.

The end!

sunvalleylaw
July 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
That's great! As a Dad, that is heartwarming.

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
That's great! As a Dad, that is heartwarming.

Thanks, I'm actually kind of jaded about the radio part of it, it's their custom to play songs by local bands having a gig in the week of the radio show, and since I know the two co-hosts fairly well (not really close friends, but long-time acquaintances, I've gigged with one of them and helped backline his band on occasion) I've heard my songs on the radio many times over the years.

But the timing of it last night couldn't have been better.

ted s
July 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM
That's a really cool story Brian, thanks.

warren0728
July 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
cool brian....what station gave you the pr....i'll make sure to listen to them when i'm in gainesville next weekend!

ww

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
That's a really cool story Brian, thanks.

Thanks, I was really torn about how to react to hitting the possum. Frankly I should've just lied about the possum, the boy heard it hit but I should've said it was a piece of wood in the road or something. I wanted to go back and help the thing, but I was almost out of gas anyhow (the "out of gas" light on the dash had been on for several minutes), and if we'd have found it I wouldn't have been able to do anything for it anyhow, and it would've only further traumatized the kid to see the animal injured or dead.

Still things worked out OK in the end.

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM
cool brian....what station gave you the pr....i'll make sure to listen to them when i'm in gainesville next weekend!

ww

http://a715.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/29/l_86e5d38bc7b5da229dadeea6729bc032.gif

pie_man_25
July 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
wow, well, that's a nice story, I only wish Icould hear, but I'm way out of where you are and haven't touched a radio in three years.

Brian Krashpad
July 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
wow, well, that's a nice story, I only wish Icould hear, but I'm way out of where you are and haven't touched a radio in three years.

You can listen online if you have a fast computer connection:

http://www.1005thebuzz.com/

:R

pie_man_25
July 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM
/\ no, sorry, 3.6k dial-up, it would be faster if you recorded it onto tape, and mailed it to me.