PDA

View Full Version : Working With My New Compressor Pedal

t_ross33
July 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
I received $70 in Long and McQuade gift cards from my boss for "Administrative Professionals Day (or whatever PC term they are using for "Secretary's Day" now - LOL!) - which I found really funny because I'm a Project Manager. However I do help out with some IT, proposals and technical writing, bill processing and general office stuff.

So yesterday we were in the city and I just had to swing by L&M. I've always wanted to try a compressor pedal and ended up bringing home Marshall's ED-1 "Edward the Compressor" (because it was exactly $70 before tax :D ).

I've been playing around with it a little bit and re-organizing my pedal board. Still lots to learn about setting this one up. Here's what I've got so far. Any tips, tricks, advice would be appreciated.

Guitar > ED-1 Compressor > Behringer Blues Overdrive > Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion > Behringer EQ > Peavey Bandit.

I have my RP-80 in the effects loop for modulation, delays, reverb etc. I use the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp model with the clean channel of the Bandit to simulate some country twang, but other than that I turn amp modeling off with most of my patches. I had the EQ in the effects loop as well, not sure where it is going to end up yet. I moved it to the incoming effects chain for cable management more than anything. It helps open up the tone of the amp, though it is a bit noisy.

With the Fender amp model, lots of 'verb, compression and a wee bit of OD for some tube-like break up, I get a pretty spanky Dwight Yoakam-ish tone - shooting for Brad Paisley, but can't afford Dr. Z's, custom Bill Crook teles and various other boutique gear :D

How, when and where are you using compression?

Trev

Robert
July 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM
I sometimes (uhmm, read "rarely") use compression first in the pedal chain going ino my Hellhound, using a clean amp sound. The only time I do this though is for country songs. I personally don't like compressors much - that squished sound doesn't sound good to my ears. I'd rather use a clean boost pedal to get a fatter tone. Even an OD pedal with some grit and the volume knob rolled off a bit. This is just my personal view and as always, let your ears be the final judge!

Spudman
July 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
I used to use an MXR Dyna Comp first in my chain (after the wah) for many years. I loved having a little extra kick if I needed it and instant good feedback too.

Now days I'm like Robert and use a clean boost or a little overdrive with the tube amph tuned up so that it just starts to sweat.

I got rid of the Dyna and have a vintage Ibanez CP9 but I almost never use it except for when I play bass. I guess I let the tubes do the compressing and I don't care if my sound has a little grind to it even if I'm trying to play clean.